Jambands.ca

***JSB on 102.1 The Edge Thursday Night***

show---whore

Speaking of CFNY, I was reading this synopsis of Rush the other night and apparently the song, The Spirit of Radio was written about CFNY. I found that hilariously funny because I hate CFNY and their, "New Music" bull-shit attitude. Of course, their "new music" is either shitty modern pop music or washed up "pop" music from back as far as 15 years ago. Obviously Rush had some sort of relationship or respect for them at some point in their existance.

It's so hard for a band to get radio play these days... it's really all about payola.. meaning, if you have some cash, sure radio stations will play it... Here is Canada, they monitor the playlists of stations across Canada and US every day, comparing their songs, and try to be a close as possible, but if one radio station starts playing a song consistently, then often another radio station will follow suit, then another, sometime it spirals like that... So please tune in tonight and email the station saying you would like to hear more... who wouldn't love to hear more Jimmy Swift Band , Grand Theft Bus, Jomomma, Nero, Blue Quater, Wassabi Collective on the radio? Count me in..

edge.gifindie_hour.jpg

11PM THURSDAY, May 20th

request_a_song.gifREQUEST PAGE

LET's go to Town.....

Speaking of CFNY, I was reading this synopsis of Rush the other night and apparently the song, The Spirit of Radio was written about CFNY. I found that hilariously funny because I hate CFNY and their, "New Music" bull-shit attitude. Of course, their "new music" is either shitty modern pop music or washed up "pop" music from back as far as 15 years ago. Obviously Rush had some sort of relationship or respect for them at some point in their existance.

Thats because in the 80's the Edge was still called "The Spirit of Radio". They gave all indie bands a chance and played them at all times of the day. I agree that their current format that they adopted in the early 90's is lame. They are basically a top 40 station playing "new rock".

What the hell is new rock anyways?

It's certainly not the crap they play! They even play some hip hop now because it's "cool" with the edgeheads.

I prefer to listen to college radio or my own damn cds thank you very much.

Another note about CFNY.

If your listen to some electronic music, mainly electro or IDM (intelligent dance music...I hate this term), there is an artist based out of Toronto called Solvent. He wrote this track called "My Radio". He grew up on CFNY in the 80's and now hates them like you. Here is a sample of the record cover with part or the lyrics.

gi22_250.gif

So your not the only one that has a penchant for hating CFNY.

well these bands won't get a chance to get radio airplay unless 'jammy' bands that have a more radio friendly sound like JSB, BNB and GTB can't get their music played...

DO you remember when Phish's Heavy Things made it to the radio... we had a glimpse that maybe we'd hear some jammier stuff on the radio... but now I doubt that song would make it back into rotation anywhere...

yeah maybe Wassabi's a stretch... but who knows what they are going to sound like on this new release...

"I like the concept but seriously isn't JSB the only band of that crop with any chance of getting played on the radio? "

No. Jomomma is. WHen i have friends drop by for a 'visit', who aren't familair with the scene, Jomomma by far, goes over the best, with the widest rage of audience.

Some Grand Theft Bus is radio friendly, as is some Fat Cats.

Steve

JSB's last album, i felt, was totally geared to try to get themselves some radio exposure. with the exception of a couple songs, the concept of the record was "get us on the damn radio!". so, hey, good for them. craig got on the radio.

j-dawg...

I would have to respectfully disagree regarding one issue you brought up

I've been working in radio for ten years and payola does not exist anymore...at least in small and medium markets. nobody pays cash...that i've heard of...the record reps wine and dine ya, invite you to big parties and shit to meet bands, etc so if that's payola, then you're right but no $$$ is ever exchanged.

there are a few "trend setting" stations in canada, the small and medium markets watch what they do and add to their weekly lists and are largely influenced by this you are right...but then toronto (for the exception of cancon material) keeps their eyes on the statiosn in NYC, LA and Chicago to keep a vibe of what is going down in those markets....