Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Moses Mayes w/ Comfort Station, 9/20

bradm

Well, we asked for it, and we got it: Moses Mayes is playing Cafe Dekcuf in Ottawa tonight (Monday, Sept. 20), with Ottawa's own Comfort Station opening up the show.

I think it'll be an early start/end, with CS supposedly hitting the stage for a set at 9pm, then MM, which may mean a midnight-ish finish, which obliterates the "Oh, I can't stay out on a school night!" excuse.

I'd really like to pleasantly surprise these guys with a good showing on a Monday night, so if you can come out, please do!

Aloha,

Brad

Seriously, if you saw Moses Mayes this morning on the New RO you'd be in for sure tonight, these guys bring it down hard and it's gonna be a fun show. So c'mon Ottawa, you asked for it, come on down tonight and get it, come down for 9ish, it starts early and ends a little earlier so everyone get's back to their beds for a good night's sleep... ::

you can go out and not drink

come on. why does everyone have to fu©kin get toasted...

that's what killed it in London. if people just came out, had some water, and got to fill the room it'd be better than nobody showing up at all.

sorry meggo not to seemingly single you out but this is to everyone that is having the 'it's too expensive to drink every night' thing going on.

don't drink or smoke your brains out every day...

c'mon...you wanna get out and dance it up!

hahahah... no worries rob, i know i have fun when i'm not toasted but the fact is i have little restraint. maybe i need to see a shrink.... it's just how i am. ::

and for the record, i did my darndest to make it out to as many shows as i could in london! we just needed more than 5 people who would regularly go.

the other thing is work. i do have to be on the ball, i was pretty groggy today and frankly i feel a responsibility to have my sh!t together for my kiddies. anyhoo. i knew i was asking for it by posting an excuse, heheh... ;)

well everybody...all i have to say is that if you miss them next time you'll be suckers.

best show i've seen in ottawa in a *VERY* long time.

one of the best shows i've seen this year. would've taken down the beer tent at moe.down. destroyed. someone'd totally walk off with a couple of kegs in the scuffle.

yikes! super cool jazzy house meets driven funkiness. great arrangement, awesome playing - SUPER BADD BASS PLAYER. his name is paul and i asked him about his very nice bass rig and felt like a total dork but at least i found something to work towards. really sweet, clean tone with fill parametric EQ, jensen DI out for anyone that was curious about his head - euphonix audio...(bass dorks unite)

anyhow, i've had nothing but hopeful reinforcement whenever i go and see a show. i'm so glad it keeps on coming.

[color:"black"]

Yeah, that show was kick-ass. Too bad I missed Comfort Station and had to leave a bit early, but I'm glad I caught what I did. Nice to meet you Canned Beats. What kind of bass was Paul playing anyway? Man, that guy was all over that thumpstaff.

How can a bunch of white boys from Winnipeg funk out that hard? How?

Ow. And wow.

First up, the crowd was great. I've seen smaller crowds at Thursday shows, so having that many people, and having them throw down as hard as they were, on a Monday was a joyful surprise, to say the least.

Moses Mayes kicked my mass, kicked it all over the place, and kicked it hard. Right from the start, they were slammin' the funk at us. At one song break, the turntablist said, "This next one's going to be funky," at which point I got scared, because if what was coming up was funky, then it was going to be funkier than what had come before it, which had just about melted my brain into prune-whip yogurt.

The "Chameleon" cover was awesome, the trombone solo (from an Ottawa-area guy, named Graham somethingorother) was one of the best I've ever heard, the bass player...OMG, the bass player...

Big props to Comfort Station, for a great opening set, and for being part of making this happen.

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. Further big props to everyone who said they liked the music over the PA before/between sets. :)

Seriously, what a funking great night of music, I thought The Station played a good tight opener, and when Moses Mayes came on it all when down big time, these guys laid down more funk and soul than a full night of JSB and AGP together, everyone who was there was up and moving, even people who never get out of their chairs at shows had to get up for these guys. Seriously amazing playing and all these guys are really great people, it was a pleasure both playing with, and hanging with these boys.

On a sad note, where the sh!t was the rest of Ottawa last night, a few guys from this board came, people who said they probably were coming didn't show, people who asked for this show to come to town didn't show, music fans in this town can be so lame sometimes, it's frustrating...espically seeing as Mayes came all the way across this country to play, I seriously hoped to see more support for the boys last night, even though like bradM said it was pretty good for a Monday... but even just this board should have brought down 15-20 people to last nights show...I just don't get it sometimes...

My sentiments exactly Hux.

I love music as much as the next guy/gal, but you have to pick your battles and you just can't see everything.

Monday's suck. Mike had a big presentation this morning, I know another person who had an interview this morning, I had a meeting with my boss from Toronto this morning, we're saving for a big move at the end of this month....everyone has a reason. I don't think it's because the music fans of Ottawa don't care.

I would have loved to have been there, but damn, I just couldn't.

yeah. i never took nobody coming out seriously. it's the people that have nothing better to do with their nights that get me. I'm sure that most everyone that didn't come out had a good reason. thanks for your interest pootie and brad, but at least we can say the scene is made up of professionals. i have no job and no real 'commitments' other than my bank account these days.

but these guys DID kick it and if they ever get a chance to play a weekend gig they'd better get one helluva room. someone wanna try to get them a gig at mercury lounge (not big but very cool) - hell, barrymore's would be great.

as far as i'm concerned this was a show for moses mayes. how often do bands have good monday nights, especially in a professional town like ottawah? they had a great time playing and gave about 30 people one of the best shows they've ever seen on a schoolnight past their bedtime.

way to go moses mayes! bands need nights for themselves. they haven't played a 2+hour set in a very long time and they played a nice long encore.

definitely a cool chameleon cover but i've gotta say the only marginal thing i could say about these guys is that the cover they chose was a lame choice for a cover...and they tore it a new a$$hole. they rocked an awesome chameleon. the only issue i could ever have with these guys is that they picked the only herbie hancock song that everybody else does. if they'd have picked hang up your hangups it'd be OFF THA HOOK! so what kind of stretch to complain is that...'yeah, they played cool covers...' but i've got to say that they can rock a jamiroquai tune pretty much as well as jamiroquai could. they played a herbie hancock tune as good as you'd ever need to hear it (and since i've heard too many bands fu©k that song up, i need it to be a great version...it went from 'another band playing fu©king chameleon' to 'i'm happy THESE GUYS are playing this song and not some funky jamband trying to appease some fans with some 'jazz''

anyways, thanks for the good times last night.

bro....who are you kidding? It was a Monday!!!!!

What you talking about Willis, you ain't working as of yet... you shoulda came down just to hand, I know it wasn't bobby Weir but jebus...:)

Didn't mean to harp on people, it's just sad sometimes seeing bands who got what it takes not get the solid support they need when trying to tour to make something of it. I was thinking I'd rather spend my cash now on bands who are getting there, like the good Canadian ones, then just hit the big names who have made it, it is just sooo hard in Canada to make a living with music... but seriously best of luck to the Moses Mayes and next time they're back (hopefully a weekend so people can go out) we should hit that up hard.

Hey all,

back from the road and thanks to all the ontarians for coming out to see us play. Ottawa, you amazed us with your wicked dancing and enthusiasm for a monday night! Toronto, you guys finally danced, rejoice! Montreal, your love for the music is loud and exciting..wow! London, we heard you calling a long time ago, great to finally meet you!

Thanks from all the band, we hope to see you all in 2005....now off to the mountains!

grant

www.mosesmayes.com