Jambands.ca

any ottawa activists in the house?

meggo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there was some shoving earlier in front of some ritzy hotel shown on cbc... looked like the cops were pushing people back and the people pushed back then a cop went down hurt and they grabbed a few people out of the crowd... 5 minute scuffle and then it was over and the crowd started dispersing

apperently the crowd were upset that Bush was supposed to be meeting Steven Harper inside the hotel (?) why is Bush meeting Harper? is he meeting Layton?

I went to Quebec City dead set on being 100% peaceful, we got chased down a steep hill with 50 year old women in the crowd and little kids so about 10 of us turned and stood our ground and threw the tear gas back at the cops (who had gas masks)

I don't think its fair to say you don't like protesters when 10 people out of 10,000 act up while 9,990 act responsibly and take their chances in the streets to try and let the world know they're upset that children are being killed for oil every day

I just got back from checking out the riot police up close.

Pretty menacing looking dudes.

Appairently they are all from toronto and the people at the gates are yelling "Go Sens Go!"

Rideau street entrances on rideau st are locked down.

The Bay is open however.

Meggo I'll definatly be hanging around after work

in Quebec pretty much every act of vandalism or violence I witnessed was enacted by drunken young local trouble makers using the protest as an excuse to act out

thanks greatly for the updates Stapes (and everyone else), really appreciate it...

thatpatguy, sound very omminus and spooky to me... fear mongering lessons perhaps

standard protest gear is usually a tight weave scarf you can wear over your face, bring some vinegar in your pocket to wet the scarf with a bit in case of tear gas... helps make it a bit more breathable though it doesn't help your eyes (goggles?)

only thing is television news will call you an anarchist for trying to breathe ::

(tear gas isn't that bad, you get used to it)

thatpatguy, sound very omminus and spooky to me... fear mongering lessons perhaps

standard protest gear is usually a tight weave scarf you can wear over your face, bring some vinegar in your pocket to wet the scarf with a bit in case of tear gas... helps make it a bit more breathable though it doesn't help your eyes (goggles?)

only thing is television news will call you an anarchist for trying to breathe ::

90% of everything I say shouldn't be taken seriously :) I can be really sarcastic when I'm not careful..

so no fear mongering on my part..

I don't like Harper, I don't like Bush

if they weren't just doing lines and swapping wives I don't like it ::

(I was originally implying Bush is likely teaching Harper Fear Mongering 101 so Canada will become more manageable for the republicans after our next election, just so you know)

Bush and Harper obviously share many morals about religion and politics.. Harper sent an open letter printed in the NY Times (that was printed) right around when Chretien refused to offer troops for the war, saying that he (and many likeminded) Canadians believe Canada should support the US in Iraq. I guess basically Bush is meeting with him to keep him tightly placed in his backpocket, thank him for the ass-suck, and probably promise some kind of 'treat' if he gets elected. Fuel for a dirty fire.