Jambands.ca

Ottawa DJ Suspended for on-air bid to add Stompin' Tom to Live 8

AdamH

Story from CBC:

An Ottawa radio station has suspended one of its DJs for playing the music of Stompin' Tom Connors non-stop in a bid to get the Canadian music legend added to the Live 8 concert in Barrie, Ont.

DJ Jeff Brown started his all-Stompin' Tom show on the spur of the moment Tuesday afternoon. He had to rely on Big Joe Mufferaw, the one Stompin' Tom song CHEZ 106 had in its library, for the first part of what would eventually be a three-hour show. He played it six times before someone could run to his house and pick up some more CDs.

Stompin' Tom Connors, performing at a Rideau Hall concert in June 2002. (CP Photo)

Brown said he would continue the protest until Live 8 organizers agreed to add the country singer to the July 2 concert being held about 80 km north of Toronto.

The multi-nation Live 8 concerts, taking place in cities such as London, Paris, Tokyo and Philadelphia, are aimed at raising awareness of world poverty. Organizers, including lead activist Bob Geldof, want to pressure the Group of Eight leaders – meeting in Gleneagles, Scotland, from July 6-8 – to take action to help poor nations.

Brown told CBC News that management at his classic rock station weren't crazy about his tactics and have pulled him off the air indefinitely.

"If you've got an opinion on something, this is Canada, you're allowed to voice your opinion, and you can do that however you creatively feel that is necessary," he said. "That's what I've done. And they've made their choice; I've made my choice."

Brown said he couldn't believe that Celine Dion would be appearing from Las Vegas via satellite, while an icon like Stompin' Tom Connors wasn't even invited to perform. However, he admitted that since Connors is currently touring in northern Ontario, he's not sure whether the singer would even want to perform at the show.

Though CHEZ 106's management didn't like the stunt, they have moved to support the cause by starting an online petition to Geldof to get Connors added to the Barrie lineup. By Thursday morning, the petition had gathered more than 4,300 signatures.

Brown said he was hired because of his irreverence and thinks station management will put him back behind the microphone once the concert is over.

hah... i heard about that on the radio this morning. listeners were asking for more stompin tom but the bosses took all the cd's out of the studio (is it called a studio?)

instead, the DJs were telling people to call in and they'd have a "stompin tom idol". people are to leave messages at the station, of themselves singing stompin tom songs...

so if there are any budding stompin tom-cover-band-vocalists from Otown on the board... get on it! (they also said that, based on the performances they'd heard so far, it should be pretty easy to win ;))

Though CHEZ 106's management didn't like the stunt, they have moved to support the cause by starting an online petition to Geldof to get Connors added to the Barrie lineup. By Thursday morning, the petition had gathered more than 4,300 signatures.

Wow! Over 4,300 signatures. I wonder how many of those daft fucks are taking part in the White Band movement. Losers. How quickly people lose sight of what this is really about. No wonder so many nations despise the west. We ignore 50,000+ people starving to death per day, yet rally behind a twangin' [color:purple]national treasure.

Jeff Brown blows. Losing your job to a hack DJ like Kim Mitchell is the ultimate kick to the groin.

(Cue relentless self-promotion)

Canada's White Band Campaign is called Make Poverty History (www.makepovertyhistory.ca) for those interested.

If you want a white band I can hook you up for $2 each. They cost 50 cents to make but 10% of the proceeds goes back to the campaign for admin, and the balance to support my employer's work (VSO: www.vsocan.org). Just PM me or come find me as I carry them around. You can also get them directly from the campaign but expect a loooong wait as there's only two people running the canada-wide movement.

No matter what people tell you the bands were NOT produced in sweatshops and are made of ethically-sourced materials.

(end self-promotion)

Yay Polkaroo! *pat on back* I already got me one, but otherwise I'd fly on up to Ottawa and get one from ya. :P Seriously though. These bracelets are hot hot hot now folks (as the red, AIDs ribbon was back in the day). People are always asking what they mean. Grab a bracelet, hop on a soapbox and spread the good word. Not everyone gets to have dinner tonight. :(

That's probably the most spontaneity Ottawa radio has seen in over a decade.

You need to tune into CKCU more often! Especially when Bouche and Booche are guests in the studio.

You'r right Dave, I should have exempted CKCU, CHUO and their ilk.

Polk -- can you hook us up with white bands over CanaDay? We'll see you at "That Place." And kudos to you for being involved in such a project.

KM -- I couldn't agree more with your analysis

Wow! Over 4,300 signatures. I wonder how many of those daft fucks are taking part in the White Band movement. Losers. How quickly people lose sight of what this is really about. No wonder so many nations despise the west. We ignore 50,000+ people starving to death per day, yet rally behind a twangin' national treasure.

that being said, let's still hope Brown's stunt 'edumicated' just a few of Chez's listeners who will now contribute to the campaign -- but certainly a 'back door' way of doing it.

I get really frustrated when Canadians accuse Americans of Patriotism and think 'we're' so immune --what else is going on here except patriotism and a sense of outraged-injustice!!! "Give Canada its due, man, book our legend!!!!" (oh -- I guess that means Neil Young in StoneMtn's books -- any news yet there StoneMTn???)