Jambands.ca

Flowers by the side of the road.

StoneMtn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is alink to an article about it, aparently they started in france.

and the GOVERNMENT IS FUNDING THIS

so now there using my tax money to put this junk up, gets me even more upset

http://temagami.carleton.ca/jmc/cnews/04112005/n6.shtml

also this article says that there are 192 drinking and driving deaths last year in canada, so that basically mean that every year they would be putting up close to 200 of these untll they decide to stop.

http://ogov.newswire.ca/ontario/GPOE/2006/11/27/c8626.html?lmatch=〈=_e.html

Edited by Guest

I think it's generally useful to read through/skim through an entire thread, if one wants to accurately interpret the context of a single post.

Having said that, I probably shouldn't have used the word mandatory. My only real point (in reference to the original question) is that I don't see much wrong with flowers put at the side of the road. If they give the one who placed them there, a sense of peace.. so be it.

its a proven fact that people slowing down to look at stuff or pulling to the side of the highway to stop, is very dangerous, and potentially deadly, I eas watching a special cops last night, where they were just showing people hitting cop cars that had pulled people over.

that why they are a distraction, bcause they cause good drivers to take they eyes off the road

TORONTO (CBC) - MADD Canada has frozen its telemarketing fundraising activities in response to reports alleging 80 per cent of its donations go to professional fundraisers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Across the country, branches of the non-profit grassroots organization are calling for a full outside audit after the Toronto Star reported that only 19 cents of every dollar raised actually goes towards combating drunk driving or toward victim services. Mothers Against Drunk Driving brings in $12 million a year.

Leading volunteers are furious that MADD has agreed only to an internal review of the charity's finances and won't heed their demand for an outside firm to look at the charity's books. In British Columbia, Bob Rorison, president of MADD's Greater Vancouver chapter, denied the allegations, but agreed an audit should be carried out to restore public confidence in the charity. "We have to do the right thing. We have to be totally transparent to the public, the public that have donated in the past - and the public that are considering it in the future," he said.

"We need to be 100-per-cent transparent we will do that and make the public confident that we are absolutely doing the right thing." Rorison said there is no time frame for the completion of the internal audit. The Star article reported that most of the money raised goes to administration costs, telemarketers and door-to-door canvassers seeking donations. But Andrew Murie, CEO of the organization, said the Star article "mischaracterized" MADD's efforts.

He said the apparent misdirection of funds is because MADD considers fundraising to be part of its charitable work, since MADD mixes its appeal for donations with public education. Murie said the practice is approved by the federal regulator.

Karen Dunham, the organization's national president, also defended the accounting practices.

"The telemarketer plays an important part in the role of MADD Canada," she said. "When they're asking the donor for money, they're also educating the donor that impaired driving is the country's No. 1 criminal cause of death."

Door-to-door and collection efforts will continue in local branches.