Jambands.ca

Vandermark 5- Feb 10th, Zaphods.

gentlemonkey

Anybody thinking of checking this out? Seems like some super heavy avante-guard jazz. Apparently it's a live improv show, but there is a compositional aspect to it. Two sets of it at Zaphods should make for an interesting setting...The sample on his site it a little sqwonky, but I'm intrigued.. Anyone know of Ken Vandermark? From Toronto?

add to edit- it's 15.00, in advance.

I notice it's also the same night at Golden Dogs and Lure- at Mavericks. Timing might work out to make that a fun double feature...

Edited by Guest
price check

I believe Ken Vandemark is actually from Chicago. Definitely two feet in the improv pool. He is a legend in "those circles" (like kung probably loves him). I have to admit he is a little too avant garde for my tastes, but he did put out an awesome album of Funkadelic covers called Spaceways Incorporated that was more than interesting. I believe this was recorded with his trio.

See BradM for wikipedia definition, links etc.

Sean

Vandermark is one of my all-time favorites. I've seen him 5 or 6 times now and he's definately a "can't miss". The Vandermark 5 is one of his main bands, and they do a lot of funky (for jazz) freaky improv on acoustic/wind instruments. IT's not jamband sounding at all though. He's completely ok with taping (BradM) as long as you send him a copy.

If you want to hear some challenging music that will make your head spin, go check them out.

Here's a sample/bio:

http://www.epitonic.com/artists/thevandermark5.html

GO!

He's completely ok with taping (BradM) as long as you send him a copy.

Confirmed. I've been in e-mail contact with his people, one of whom (promptly) went and asked him, and forwarded me the reply. Thus, my Saturday plan is:

1. apologize to Mr. Something Something for missing their show :(
  2. show up early at Zaphod's to get a spot, get set, and talk to Ken Vandermark
  3. get head blown by KV
  4. tear down, haul mass to Mavericks, praying I arrive there early enough to get a good spot and get set up for The Golden Dogs (and probably apologize to Lure for having missed their set)
  5. get home
  6. rest

Aloha,

Brad

I've seen Ken Vandermark a half dozen times, with a number of outfits...Sonore, DKV Trio, V5 , FME.

The man is incredibly talented and diverse, and the musicians which he surrounds himself are just as passionate about music as he is. Hell, he was honoured with the MacArthur Fellow prize for brilliance at the tender age of 32 when all previous recipients (Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, to name two) were well into their 60s and 70s.

He was even in a punk outfit called The Flying Luttenbackers, and recently got involved in a heavy rock outfit called Powerhouse Sound.

If you're into improvised music at its best, these guys are at the top of the class. Definitely not for the faint of heart...lots of free stuff but also amazing grooves and solos.

Their new addition to the band, Fred Lonberg-Holm, a cello player, is worth the price of admission alone. Saw him last year in Montreal....had to pick my jaw off the floor.

A definite must see!!

Ken Vandermark and any of the many bands he's in are incapable of delivering a poor performance....they are seemingly always bang-on. Last night was no different.

These guys had just come back from a European tour and two days later are starting their North American tour. Tim Daisy, the drummer, admitted to still suffering from jetlag (this he's telling me prior to the show while yawning several times). You certainly couldn't tell that by the way he was smokin' on the drum kit!

Here's hoping KV makes Ottawa a regular stop on his touring schedule...he's pretty much booked a year ahead, what with the number of outfits he's in.

Salivating at the chance of seeing Hamid Drake or Paal Nilsson-Love...two other absolutely kick-ass drummers he plays with.

Bring em on!