Diesel Dog CD Release Shows

mark tonin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel Dog story in KW Record

Oh, you Dog

Cambridge quintet has turned a year of upheaval into another round of funky, goodtime rocking

JASON SCHNEIDER

Go to a Diesel Dog show if you want to strut your Birkenstocks and shake your butt. Who doesn't?

(Apr 5, 2007)

Although it's getting harder and harder to find kids in Birkenstocks, sarongs, and dreadlocks roaming the streets anymore, it's a sure bet that they'll all find their way to a Diesel Dog show.

The quintet, based in and around Cambridge, has just released its second album, Year Of The Dog, thereby giving their fans a new batch of funky, goodtime music to get their beads and butts shaking.

Of course, that's too narrow an assessment of the band's sound, and for bassist Ian Richardson, the challenge with the new album was for Diesel Dog to go beyond the stereotypes of being a typical "jam band," without alienating its audience.

"I am comfortable with being called a jam band, but don't really use the term myself much," he says. "A lot of people who are not in the scene aren't familiar with the term. When a co-worker asks me what kind of music I play, and I say we're a jam band, they don't really get it.

"I like to call us old school roots rock," Richardson continues. "Sure, we are a part of that scene, and yes we are a band that 'jams' so I guess we do fit the bill. As far as what's going on in that scene now, I think it's grown and is still growing.

"It's kind of morphed into a very general all-encompassing genre that can include many subgenres that range from funk to bluegrass and everything between. I don't think it would ever be a mainstream genre that will have many artists topping the pop charts, but I think it's definitely here to stay."

Year Of The Dog is only the band's second album in its six-year existence, and according to Richardson, it's the result of a few upheavals in between.

"We've had a few personnel changes. Our sax player left, we gained a female percussionist/singer, then lost her, lost our drummer, gained a new drummer, lost him, then got the old drummer back and now we've gained a new sax player.

"We've also incorporated an acoustic set into our live show. We usually open the night with it, but recently we've experimented with doing it in the middle of a three-set night."

Somehow, Diesel Dog managed to focus all the turmoil into the new material which clearly displays hints of everything from funk and reggae, to bluegrass and psychedelic rock.

Yet, lyrically, the band seems to have its feet firmly planted on the ground, as Richardson explains. "The song themes range from singing about day jobs, Canadian/American relations, old flames, and travelling across Ontario. I don't do a lot of the writing so I can't really speak to specifics, but I think it's easy to tell by the titles what the songs are about.

"Mainly, the new record documents many songs that have been a part of our live repertoire for some time now. There are a couple of songs that are brand new, and the old ones have been stripped of the extended jam sections that usually occur when playing live. When recording the album our goal was to have a finished product that was a step above our first offering."

That goal seems to have been accomplished, so look for Diesel Dog to be burning up the highways around Ontario this summer. And if you're not sure where to find them, just follow the convoy of VW vans. (Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!)

LIVE DIESEL DOG CD RELEASE PARTY THE LANC, 574 LANCASTER ST., KITCHENER APRIL 7 10:30 P.M. $5, $15 WITH CD 519-743-4331

Sweet show! Three sets of music, electric > acoustic > electric ... the first electric set was mostly covers, and the final set featured most of the songs on the new disc. The guest musicians helped to fill out the sound in a big way! Bobby Banks really stepped up to the plate with his sax playing, Darren Schott's mandolin and fiddle playing during the acoustic set was a treat, and Summer Martin's voice added a huge punch to the end of the show.

Well done dogs ... a great effort!

Hamilton is in for a treat on Friday the 13th!

Peace, Mark