Jambands.ca

The Disco Biscuits

OB1

Well since Phish ended I have been trying to find a band that would make me feel the way phish did. I have seen many shows and have yet to be blown away until now.

The two nights I saw The Disco Biscuits at Camp Bisco were fantastic. I had no idea these guys were this good. I mean I didn't know too many songs but they raged. They also rarely stop during a set. They continue to play in and out of tunes with great segues and their timing is dead on. I was very impressed to learn about how they play inverted sets which was new to me. They will start with a tune then the will play the ending of another tune, then the beginning of a different tune and then go back into the first tune they started.

Anyhow I was very impressed and am now hooked. Can't wait for the fall dates and for anyone who hasen't seen them give them a chance they are good.

This is exactly how I felt after seeing them for the first time last fall(octoberish) in Cincinnati, then the next night in Columbus...

Thanks to Captainsunshine for getting me to give them a chance, since its her favorite band.

I was so blown away, espeacially with their complex inverted songs !!!

Then at snoe.down this yr when they came out with moe. on the last night toward the end of moe.s set and totally stole the show imo.

Yay!

I'm glad you gave them a chance!!

They really are amazing live.. I remember when I first heard them (a live show.. but on CD), I wasn't too impressed. Seeing them live is really key. I was hooked after seeing them the first time years ago..

Oh, and OB1, they also play "dyslexic" versions of songs which means the song is: "broken up, similar to an inverted version, but the song structure is played out of order or not immediately following each other. The band might play the end of a song in the first set, then start off the second set with the beginning. This would be considered a dyslexic version of the song"..

Such a fun band, and as soon as you get to knowing their songs and stuff, the shows get quite fun trying to name the next song and such.. They also have 2 rock operas, The Hot Air Balloon and the Chemical Warfare Brigade, and a lot of their songs come from those 2 stories.

Check out www.discobiscuits.net for more info/setlists/song lyrics and stuff!

Agreed i have been not so sure about biscuits after seeing them a few times. and even the first few shows of camp bisco i still wasn't sure if i was into them. That last set just blew my mind to a whole new level. i was shocked and definatley plan on seeing them again :)

Hey Kev, glad to hear you and Ranks had fun.

I just got 7/18/07 (couple weeks ago) from OiNK and its great. Astronaut to start the show fuckin rocks!!!

edit** here are the deets from Archive. GO GET'R!

Source: (16bit)AKG480'sck63 (FOB)(DIN) > Lunatec V2 (Gain 25) > SONIC AD2k+ [(24bit) (gain 18) (24/48)] > PDAudio-CF > HP5550 > Live2496 > SD flash card

Lineage: SD card reader USB2.0 > Wavelab 5.0 (24/48) UV22HR(16/44.1) [fades] > flac16 Level6

Taped by: Nick Colovos

Transferred by: Nick Colovos

Keywords: Live Concert; Disco Biscuits; Electronica

Description

Disc 1

Set I:

1. Jam ->

2. Astronaut

3. Boom Shanker

4. Little Lai ->

5. Cyclone ->

6. Little Lai

7. Mulberry's Dream

Disc 2

Set II:

1. crowd/tuning

2. Reactor ->

3. Triumph ->

4. Basis For A Day ->

5. The Very Moon ->

6. Basis For A Day ->

7. Reactor

Disc 3

Set II continued:

1. banter/Magner solo -> (1)

2. Spaga

3. crowd

Encore:

4. Wet

5. Lithium (2)

This is Baj's first Bisco show:

http://www.archive.org/details/db2006-11-10.tlm170.flac16

11/10/2006 at Bogarts in Cincinnati, Ohio

1: Wet, Svenghali -> The Overture (><) -> Svenghali, Story of the World -> I-Man -> Story of the World

2: The Safety Dance, Reactor -> Crickets (><) -> Moshi/Drum Jam -> Bazaar Escape -> Crickets (><) -> Reactor

E: Therapy

The show was absolutely amazing!!

We also went to Columbus, Ohio the next night, and it was a super sick show... Here it is: http://www.archive.org/details/db2006-11-11.tlm170.flac16

1: Whip It > Highwire > I Remember When, Spacebirdmatingcall -> Abraxas (><) -> Little Betty Boop (><) -> Spacebirdmatingcall

2: Mulberry's Dream, Nughuffer, King of the World -> The Great Abyss -> Run Like Hell (1) -> Shem-Rah Boo

E: Confrontation

Enjoy! :)

I love the Biscuits. I've seen them morph, dip and soar since '99 and could not be more happy with where they are today. It's kind of refreshing to hear some people getting in to them. I'm bothered but beginning to understand there bad rep after the last few times I've seen them. The crowd is definitely a neo-hippie-meathead phenomenon I'm new to. Plus, everyone looks like someone's younger brother/sister from back in the day. Anyways, on the subject of their bad rep; who else draws N2O tanks to Brooklyn? Fuckng hilarious....

p.s. I didn't make it to Camp, did anyone catch Posford's Hallucinogen in Dub Live set and Shpongle, and if so, how was it?

I am very torn when it comes to the Biscuits.

I love thier jams, which are well crafted and filled with creative textures and energy. I however hate thier songs, which seem to be an afterthought.

Everytime I listen to a live show or see one in person, I seem to get wonderfully lost in the jam only to be rudely awakened by some weak triad, 3 chord tune with barely passable delivery.

It seems their songs and their choices of chordal harmony do not mesh well with their improvisations. The two seem totally separate and not symbiotic at all.

All the same I will see them live anytime to watch them jam, but I cringe everytime they sing a song.

Just my opinion, but does anyone else feel like this?

I love thier jams, which are well crafted and filled with creative textures and energy. I however hate thier songs, which seem to be an afterthought.

Everytime I listen to a live show or see one in person, I seem to get wonderfully lost in the jam only to be rudely awakened by some weak triad, 3 chord tune with barely passable delivery.

It seems their songs and their choices of chordal harmony do not mesh well with their improvisations. The two seem totally separate and not symbiotic at all.

All the same I will see them live anytime to watch them jam, but I cringe everytime they sing a song.

Based on my limited exposure to them (a moe.down they played and one or two shows I've listened to) I largely (though not necessarily completely) agree with this.

Aloha,

Brad

I can totally see what your saying, they definately are not the best singers, but like every band they have their good and bad nights...from my limited exposer I've heard them sing good and bad... but the jam is where its at in our scene anyways...imo the vocals are never that good for any of our bands in this scene ... no?