Jambands.ca

Buffett roll call!

Magnum

[color:blue]OK...Who's in? Make yourself known...

Me and the boys from the Robin's Nest are in and I think this is gonna be a blow out show to remember!

I am currently picking just the right combo of short shorts and Hawaiian shirt to make it memorable...

I got my camera too, for shots of Buffett and the hotties...

56magnumhead.jpg

JB in the Toronto Sun

Thu, September 6, 2007

Jimmy Buffett breezes into town

By JASON MacNEIL, Toronto Sun

The straw skirts were few, the booze was aplenty, plenty got lei'd and many probably had the hellish hangovers Thursday morning to show for it.

In other words it was just your typical Jimmy Buffett concert.

Buffett hit Toronto's Molson Amphitheatre Wednesday evening as part of his Bama Breeze tour with more than two dozen of his signature warm, island-flavored, carefree tunes to a near sell-out crowd for well over two hours.

Supported by the dozen-piece Coral Reefer Band, the 61-year-old singer/business mogul drove a rickety looking bicycle around the stage before parking it and kicking off with Willie Nelson's slow-chugging On The Road Again.

"I told you we were coming back," Buffett said with the elaborate stage setup of a "Bama Breeze" saloon with its '50s era jukebox and surfboards complementing the vast ocean backdrop. And it was this laidback, fun feeling which worked early and often with License To Chill and the folksy Son Of A Son Of A Sailor with the lone miscue being a cover of Crowded House's Weather With You.

While the songs often took you to the Caribbean, Buffett made a point of noting his Canadian ancestry from Newfoundland and also mentioning relatives from Nova Scotia. Hell, he even managed to spontaneously include the Cape Breton mining town of Glace Bay into the lyrics for Fins which had fans imitating a shark fin with hands overhead.

He also paid tribute to Neil Young by performing Heart Of Gold which had thousands singing along as the song went over perhaps better than even Buffett might have expected. But the singer also ended the first half with a bevy of his own crowd pleasers including the inane but popular Cheeseburger In Paradise, Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes and the catchy Elvis Presley Blues.

Following a 20-minute intermission which featured a plug for yet another live album entitled Live In Anguilla due in November, Buffett and company returned with Stars On The Water and also Boat Drinks which is the only Buffett song with a hockey slant. By this time though he could have yodeled or played the spoons the rest of the evening and his devoted loyal fans known as Parrotheads wouldn't have complained.

Fortunately for all parties involved, he didn't. Instead Buffett kept churning out a horde of breezy summer tunes beginning with the Alan Jackson number It's Five O'Clock Somewhere that had Buffett laughing his way through parts of the song. When he did stumble though, backing musicians including guitarist Mac McAnally and keyboardist Michael Utley came to the fore.

The biggest star of the supporting cast though was vocalist Nadir Shakoor, who nailed a portion of Bob Marley's Redemption Song which concluded the softer A Pirate Looks At Forty that had many couples swaying throughout. This was in contrast to the party atmosphere evident during One Particular Harbour, Volcano and the staple Margaritaville which closed the main set.

SUN RATING: 3.5 out of 5

Killer show....

Here's the setlist.... I want to go to another show ASAP!

9/5/07 - Toronto, Canada

Molson Amphitheater

1. On the Road Again

2. License To Chill

3. Off To See The Lizard

4. Weather With You

5. Son of a Son of a Sailor

6. Come Monday (The Beach Band)

7. Elvis Presley Blues

8. Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

9. Bama Breeze

10. Cheeseburger in Paradise

11. Reggabilly Hill

12. Fins

13. Brown Eyed Girl

Intermission

14. Stars on the Water

15. Heart Of Gold (Neil Young cover)

16. Boat Drinks

17. It's My Job (w/ Mac)

18. It's Five O'Clock Somewhere (w/Mac)

19. Volcano

20. A Pirate Looks At Forty -> Redemption Song (Bob Marley Cover)

21. Dixie Chicken

22. One Particular Harbour

23. Margaritaville

First Encore:

24. Southern Cross

25. We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

Second Encore:

26. Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot Cover)

Show Notes:

This was the 7th time Jimmy has performed in Toronto, and the 3rd time Jimmy has performed at the Molson Amphitheatre.

Billy Payne was a special guest for this show

"Heart of Gold" was last played September 19, 2006 in Austin, TX

First known performance of the Gordon Lightfoot and Elvis classic "Early Morning Rain"

Thanks to BlueMountainBear, Andrew, and Heather for getting us the set list!

Edited by Guest