Jambands.ca

ONCE = Check it out

DevO

I saw a great movie the other night called ONCE. Its an Irish movie about a musician who busks on the streets of Dublin, and the birth of his relationship with this girl who gives him 10 cents every day she sees him playing on the street. She's a musician as well, and they start collaborating. I'd say about half of the movie is just music being performed, and the music is excellent and moving. I wouldn't want to give anything away, save to say that its a wonderful, romantic sorta whimsical movie with great music! The main guy is also the guitarist in the movie The Commitments and his real life band is The Frames.

Check it out!

Here's the trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLiQFbXC2pk

onceposter.jpg

I just got two tickets to the Swell Season concert (the side-project the two stars of Once call themselves). They are on tour and hit Toronto on November 23rd at The Danforth Music Hall.

Once has some of the most moving music I've heard in a movie in decades. I'm going to the concert and I still haven't seen the film, but the music is just so damned beautiful. Once is the only movie I've desperately wanted to see all year.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally watched Once last night. I gotta say it's a beautiful film and it has some of the most emotionally charged musical performances I've ever seen in a film, period. Glen Hansard's songs are achingly gorgeous and heartfelt and Markéta Irglová is wonderful throughout. You gotta hear Glen belting out a Van Morrison cover on the street in Dublin. It would make Van jealous.

You can say Once is a musical love story since half the film is taken up by live performances (actually performed live). It's shot in a cinéma-vérité style which adds realism that would be lost in a big-budget flick - Once was made on a 70,000 budget. I gotta say that I actually welled-up with tears during many scenes and not because of sadness. When it comes out on DVD, I'd recommend that you turn off the fucking phone and turn this film up.

Edited by Guest

I'm not a big Joy Division fan by any stretch of the imagination, but Control has been getting raves.

BTW, it's easy to find footage of Once on youtube, but I'd recommend seeing the film first. Seeing and hearing those songs for the first time in context is powerful and moving.

I can't wait to see this movie again!

I just noticed the other day that these two will be on the soundtrack for I'm Not There (new Bob Dylan movie) doing a cover of 'You Aint Goin NOwhere'.. Something to look forward to.

I just got two tickets to the Swell Season concert (the side-project the two stars of Once call themselves). They are on tour and hit Toronto on November 23rd at The Danforth Music Hall.

Pretty big venue for them isn't it??

I can't wait to see this movie again!

I just noticed the other day that these two will be on the soundtrack for I'm Not There (new Bob Dylan movie) doing a cover of 'You Aint Goin NOwhere'.. Something to look forward to.

Pretty big venue for them isn't it??

The tickets were selling well when I picked up mine exactly a month ago. The vibe of the venue is excellent for this kind of music too. I'm hoping for a good turn out. My friends saw Once with me on Thursday and they immediately bought tickets to the Danforth gig.

• 2 months later...

I just finally watched this movie this afternoon.

It is not a movie about something,trying to say something,it isn't trying to change you,nor throw light down shadows...it is a simple and ecstatic flash of brilliant,blinding life.

The music breaks like a wave inside of you.

So,so beautiful.

Is it a musical?

I don't like musicals. I accidentally went to see Sweeny Todd the other day... and was bummed to find out it was 90% sung.

Are they singing in the streets with everyone dancing behind them swinging on lamp posts?

I'd like to check this movie out... but I'd also like to know what I'm getting into.

Is it a musical?

I don't like musicals. I accidentally went to see Sweeny Todd the other day... and was bummed to find out it was 90% sung.

Are they singing in the streets with everyone dancing behind them swinging on lamp posts?

I'd like to check this movie out... but I'd also like to know what I'm getting into.

Its totally not a musical in that sense, Jeff.. I see what you mean. Calling it a musical can be misleading. The plot doesn't unfold in the lyrics of the songs, per se. Its a low budget film with music at its core, and lots of it!

Music is the key to the film's plot, but it's not a musical. The songs are set-piece performances and are shot live and in their entirety. It's a story about a desparate lonely busker dealing with a break-up who meets a young girl who happens to dig his music. It's powerful stuff. Glen Hansard is the leader of the band The Frames and his songs are incredibly moving and he can sing like a motherfucker. BTW, I don't like musicals either and I'd never recommend one to anyone on this site. Once is an owner DVD, period. I bought it for Booche for Christmas. Good luck finding it in the stores. It sold out in many Toronto stores before Christmas.

• 1 month later...