Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Senators made major changes in their hockey staff during the off-season. On June 17, 2007, general manager John Muckler was fired; he had been in the last year of his contract. Head coach Bryan Murray was promoted to GM. On July 5, 2007, he hired his nephew Tim Murray as assistant GM, followed by the promotion of assistant coach John Paddock to head coach on July 6, 2007.

My memory is short...did Hal ask whether the Sens fired Muckler just after going to the Finals in Rich Stadium rather than researching it himself?

I still cant get over the fact that Hal asked if the Sens fired Muckler just after going to the Stanley Cup Finals.

(That's what happened, innit?)

Hartsburg refused to dump on his former players when asked if he felt the players let him down.

"For me, right now, it might sound a bit goofy, but as a coach, I feel like I could have done a better job and I let them down."

He also didn't bite when pressed on whether it was the inability of the club's core players -- Dany Heatley, Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza and Mike Fisher -- to buy into his message about accountability and commitment that hurt his chances of success.

"I don't think it's just about certain players. It's the team itself, the work habits, the team game and the structure. It shouldn't fall on (certain) players' heads. It was my responsibility and it didn't happen."

Perhaps it was Hartsburg's style, maybe it was that he didn't create a structure that allowed for enough offensive freedom or it could have been that he simply wasn't tough enough in cracking down on the mistakes made by star players. The other possibility -- and these aren't words Murray wants to hear -- is that the players simply aren't good enough.

Hartsburg understands that criticism is part of the business and says he can accept the blame, as long as people understand he did everything he could to make a difference.

"I guess my best wasn't good enough," he said.

It was a classy departure, with Hartsburg thanking everyone from Murray to the rest of the coaching staff to the players to the training staff.

"I wish the players the best. They are a good group of guys and I hope they can turn things around. I wish Cory (Clouston) the best. I hope a different voice makes a difference."

He should have crapped on Fisher....blamed him for everything....then pushed over a water cooler.

Maybe so' date=' and I was more talking about his loyalty to Murray. I dont follow the team enough to know much more about him. [/quote']

I agree with you. I'm just not ready to rip on him personally yet.....but I will be eventually, give me time.

OMG!!

HAHAHA!

I am SO sorry I missed this thread today! The Sens and their fans... PURE GOLD!!!

Just a little tidbit here...When players come out in the media and say the problem with the coach was that he didn't understand that they knew more about the way they need to play than he did, there are HUGE problems in the dressing room.

That HAD to be Spezza... Hey, here's a tip for ya SPEZ... drop pass. NOTHING beats a drop pass!

I think you can stop worrying about Spezza coming back to burn the team there, Sloth... The guy has some good raw talent, but when you are dumb, even by hockey player standards, it really limits your ability to develop.

I need to pay more attention to this board.

I agree with Hartsburg. He could of been a winning coach, and he was right they had to play a different system. It's too bad, for Sens fans, too good for the other two teams in Morontowa, that the team didn't buy into his philosophy. There's something clearly wrong in the dressing room at this point, some residual teenager bullshit that Alfie clearly has no way of dealing with. It's going to take a long time to roll over this team and get the right chemistry again. That is unless they can scrape together some quality draft picks for some desperate contender down the stretch and kill off some over sized contracts ta boot.

Who knows? Maybe Cloustons going to come in, let the player do whatever the fuck they want, and they might start winning again... but if so... why the fuck did Murray get two hardline coaches with the aim of creating a hardline turnover based team? If Cloustons experiment doesn't work, the players are going to get hung out to dry by the trade deadline... if Murray gets good value for the trades he'll keep he's job... maybe... but with some of the contracts that might get moved, we still should be happy with a bag of pucks in return so we can hit the free agent market with some cap space.

1-0 against the Kings when even the Habs beat them?! C'mon... I might as well PayPal Hal his earnings now, when is the next fucking game?

FWIW, I haven't seen a fucking game all year... maybe it's for the best! I listen to those two drunks on the radio, Gord and Dean, has been awesome this year... just like Bob Euchre from Major League... this next bump in the road could be fun, if we treat it the right way! But no Stanley for us... sadly... and isn't that all that matters?