Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

Remember all that attendance talk and you guys getting up in arms with me for speaking the truth? What was it you guys said, something about the Sens werent selling out some of those early games because they were against lesser opponents?

Last nights attendance (17,297) was the second lowest of the season for the Sens at home against the top team in the league and a divisional rival.

So much for that Make Shit Up forum or whatever it was you guys said. Way to go champs!

you realise that things have changed since we were saying that right? right?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so earlier in the year people didn't want to see lesser opponents and now people don't want to see the Sens who suck much more.... can you admit that's plausible? or maybe people have lost jobs and don't have money to spend on hockey? or maybe people didn't buy tickets because oc transpo isn't running? i think all of those reasons are valid.

so earlier in the year people didn't want to see lesser opponents and now people don't want to see the Sens who suck much more.... can you admit that's plausible? or maybe people have lost jobs and don't have money to spend on hockey? or maybe people didn't buy tickets because oc transpo isn't running? i think all of those reasons are valid.

OR like I said before you could look at the Sens ratio attendance vs. the population base that they draw their fans from and probably say that their attendance is the best in the league all things considered? I may be a Habs fan, but all this Sens bashing is making me nauseous.

OR like I said before you could look at the Sens ratio attendance vs. the population base that they draw their fans from and probably say that their attendance is the best in the league all things considered? I may be a Habs fan' date=' but all this Sens bashing is making me nauseous.[/quote']

Can I see these stats please?

OR like I said before you could look at the Sens ratio attendance vs. the population base that they draw their fans from and probably say that their attendance is the best in the league all things considered? I may be a Habs fan' date=' but all this Sens bashing is making me nauseous.[/quote']

Can I see these stats please?

Forget it, I found 2008's numbers...

Sens: Ticket ranks: 2nd population, 18th points

Toronto: Ticket ranks: 18th population, 5th points.

Montreal: Ticket ranks: 14th population, 4th points.

By the way Calgary was #1: Ticket ranks: 1st population, 9th points

I was just guessing based on the population of the city of Ottawa compared to all the other NHL cities.....

So are those numbers based on the ratio of attendance/population?

Edited by Guest

I was just guessing based on the population of the city of Ottawa compared to all the other NHL cities.....

So are those numbers based on the ratio of attendance/population?

Yes, Ignore the 2nd number. It had something to do with points based on ticket sales.

I found these stats from Forbes magazine, it was an issue where they valued NHL franchises. I'll find the link later and post it.

Sorry to have confused any of you.

From the Sun today - NorthernWish and I were sitting about 4 rows back of this group last year when the guy too the puck to the face. Never thought I'd read about it a year later in the paper. Dinghy and Sloth were at that game too.

Even in a lost season, it's still the good old hockey game.

It's still an event.

It's still a great time.

The centre-ice video board shows a fan wearing a Senators jersey and a paper bag over head. Some jokes just never get old.

In section 119, where goal line meets boards to the right of the Senators' goalie for two periods, sits a group of 20 rowdies. They are wearing Sabres jerseys and Fred Flintstone-like water Buffalo hats. One is also wearing a goalie's mask. His name is Farhang Farid.

Farhang and friends were in the same section for a Sabres-Senators game when misfortune struck last season. A shot (believed to be from the stick of Sabres defenceman Henrik Tallinder) was deflected by a Senator (believed to be Daniel Alfredsson) and hit Farhang in the face, breaking his jaw.

This time he was taking no chances.

The group of 20 calls itself "The Heard." The members came together as students at the University of Windsor. Now they are dispersed all over the country. Last night was their annual pilgrimage to Scotiabank Place.

In support of co-ordinator Ian West, they came from Calgary, Vancouver, Nova Scotia, Windsor, Barrie ... for hockey, beer and laughs.

"My mom, Linda West, lives in Buffalo, and I was raised as a Sabres fan," explains Ian, who lives in the nation's capital and is articling at a law firm. "My buddies say, 'we can't let you cheer by yourself.'

"Ottawa treats us really well."

The Heard gathers in the parking lot outside the arena for a tailgate party and a few hours of road hockey. It retreats to Marshy's around 5 p.m. for more food and drink. Then it rolls in to SBP a good 45 minutes before the opening faceoff.

Once at its seats, the 'Let's Go Buffalo' chants begin.

"We like these seats because we can heckle the Ottawa goalie," says Ian West. "Last year, we were all over (Ray) Emery. Tonight it will be Brian Elliott. We'll be shouting, 'Elliott phone home' and stuff like that. We'll be yelling, 'no playoffs for you, (Jason) Spezza blew it for you."

Just then the Senators step on the ice for the pre-game skate. The Heard spots Jarkko Ruutu, who took a chomp on the thumb of Sabres tough guy Andrew Peters the last time these teams met.

"Bite me, Ruutu," the Heard yells at Jarkko.

"The Senators are my second-favourite team, but they haven't played with a lot of heart," says West. "Alfredsson is a great player, but he hasn't been a good captain. He leads by example, but he's not keeping guys responsible, he's not holding them accountable."

Ottawa fans and The Heard try to outdo each other, cheering, laughing, giving each other the gears and enjoying the prelude to an NHL game.

The Senators have just 15 more at Scotiabank Place this season. They may not win a whole lot of them, but that shouldn't stop you from coming out and having a good time.

hahhaha...I thought about that too...

Come to think of it...I think Buffalo's the team I've seen the most at SBP....

Time to reminisce the good days of the Sens...

1992 October 8th. Opening Night 5-3 win over Montreal. My seats Section 23 Row PP #2. Still have my stub, autographed by Rick Bowness.

1997 First time in the playoffs...A 2-0 Loss against Buffalo. I spent the night at the SBP to get tickets as soon as the booth opened...it was a good party night. Ordering pizza was tough. "Yeah, I'm the guy near the first fire hydrant if you come in from the north."

1998 Game 6 against New Jersey first playoff win. I was drunk. It was loud. It still gives me goosebumps.

2006 Sens Mile.

2007 15-1 to start the season.

Loose Touque!

Trouble in paradise.

New Senators coach Cory Clouston would need a couple of phone books to literally see eye-to-eye with lanky winger Dany Heatley.

Turns out the two aren't figuratively seeing eye-to-eye, either, when it comes to how Heatley is playing since Clouston took over the club from fired Craig Hartsburg just over a week ago.

When asked to assess Heatley's play yesterday, Clouston said:

"He's got a ways to go. He's learning a new system, it's a lot more of a pressure system. He's got to move his feet a little more. But he's getting there, he's getting close.

"My assessment might be different than other people's. He's not where we want him to be and neither is the whole team in general. He's not different. Some guys take a little bit longer. He's obviously not used to a pressure game and being in exact spots where we want him to be. Sometimes it may look like he's not skating when actually he's trying to think a little more rather than react," said Clouston.

"For it to come naturally, it may take some guys a little bit longer. He's not the only guy every once in a while we've noticed, especially on video, you can see it's not quite there, it's not quite in a habitual form for them, sometimes they have to think a little bit more than we would like them to do. Again, it's only been two or three practices. It's coming."

When the subject was brought up to Heatley, he disagreed with the coach's view.

Here's how the question was phrased:

Q: Cory says he doesn't think your game is where it's usually at or where it should probably be at. He thinks maybe you're pressing too much. Is that fair?

Heatley replied: "No. I don't feel that way right now. I think I'm just trying to shoot the puck. I've had some good chances, like I said, last game, and it's kind of funny. The way I go, if a goal goes in and you play horribly, you guys all say everything is great and if you play well and the puck doesn't go in, you're playing bad, so ... I'm just going to keep trying to shoot the puck and eventually they'll go in."

Heatley has always bristled at criticism from us great unwashed in the media -- we apparently only look to see who's scoring goals to see who's playing well -- but there is no misunderstanding his coach's assessment.

Heatley's play needs to improve and the coach was not talking about scoring goals here, though that would help.

Heatley has 22 this season (eight in his last 26 games) and is on pace to score 36, which would be his lowest total for a full season since his rookie year with Atlanta in 2001-02, when he had 26.

Bad seasons happen and Heatley isn't alone on the Senators this year.

"Everybody's numbers aren't there," said Jason Spezza, Heatley's linemate. "We haven't won very many games as a team. When the team struggles and we have 125 goals or whatever it is, everybody is going to be down. If everybody's numbers were where they should be, we wouldn't be talking about it, we'd be in first place. It goes with the territory. When the team has a bad year, individuals do, too, usually."

Clouston, who will take his team on the road today for a five-games-in-seven-days trip starting tomorrow night in Buffalo for a rematch with the Sabres, said he's encouraged by what he's seen from his club, which has a 1-1-1 record since he arrived.

"A nice progression," he called it. "I guess we've showed there is actually a lot character in that dressing room. We've battled from a 2-0 deficit (against Boston), we got up 2-0 as well (against Buffalo on Saturday) with all the momentum against us and we didn't break. Once they scored (the Sabres) second goal we turned the play back on and applied a lot more pressure to them and had opportunities to score in regulation."

"The general feeling is it's going a little better around here," said Spezza.

For most.

Farhang and friends were in the same section for a Sabres-Senators game when misfortune struck last season. A shot (believed to be from the stick of Sabres defenceman Henrik Tallinder) was deflected by a Senator (believed to be Daniel Alfredsson) and hit Farhang in the face, breaking his jaw.

I remember it fondly.