Jambands.ca

Top Chef Canada starts tonight.

rubberdinghy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or because he didn't want to shop at Loblaws?

oh fuck...that has got to be the worst part.

it's almost got me wanting to watch just to see what sort of SHIT they have to buy. Loblaws has THE worst butcher and fish counters....that is, if you have access to a real butcher and fish monger. In smiths Falls, you take what you can get. In Toronto though? there has got to be some great options.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you guys heard about the horse meat controversy? An upcoming show has them preparing horse meat and some people are taking exception to it.

I have eaten horse meat once- horse tongue to be exact and it was delicious.

Horse meat can be found at all the butcher shops in hull. It looks like delicious meat but I don't think I want to eat a horse.

• 1 month later...

That was an all around disappointing series.

The talent level just wasn't even close to the US version. Canada has tons of great chefs, but most of them have pretty good gigs already and (I'm guessing) can't take the time away from their kitchens to compete.

• 8 months later...

Anyone watching the current season? I find having 2 local (Ottawa) chefs in the running makes it much more compelling. It also helps that they are both doing well.

The judges and new host are still awful though.

Edited by Guest

At least they aren't shopping at Loblaws any more.

In the US version they buy amazing food at Whole Foods or specialty shops.

In the last season they had to shop at Loblaws and it just seemed sad. I agree that it is a bit of a sell out to shop at the head judge's store but at least McEwans is a high end store with quality products.

I don't see any issue with Top Chefs shopping at loblaws. A good chef should be able to cook anything, and more importantly should be able to find the best ingredients at Loblaws (ie they should know how to find the best tomato in a pile of so-so tomatoes). They're professionals and if they can only shop at the highest-end food store then it's not truly testing their skill, improv, judgement etc. Remember Top Chef had challenges where the ingredients come from a vending machine and corner store.

I shop at Loblaws and have no formal training or experience and I can make some delicious food. A Top Chef should be able to blow people out of the water given the same ingredients.

Shopping at Whole Foods or Mcewans would be nice if everyone could do it, but it's not possible. Show the skill and knowledge of the chef. Shop at specialty stores for specialty ingredients.

I do see both sides to it but I don't see chefs shopping at a normal grocery store as sad, I see it as normal. Or they should be at St Lawrence Market. :)

Dude- it's top chef, not home chef.

Loblaws is great for the average cook but this is supposed to showcase the elite. Give them the proper tools to execute at a high level.

Many fine dining ingredients are unavailable at Loblaws. You might be able to find truffle oil, but it is not nearly the same quality of an artisan produced one let alone fresh truffles. Do you find fois gras at Lablaws? i don't. Even canned tomatoes are generic- good luck finding San Marizano tomatoes which is one of the things that can take a sauce from good to great. Fresh produce at grocery stores are seldom as fresh you would hope. Herbs from Loblaws just don't taste as good as the ones from St Lawrence Market. Finding interesting salad greens can be a challenge unless you are happy with the mixed variety. Don't even get me started on seafood at most grocery stores.

These are the tools that a top chef contestant needs to showcase what they can do in the fine dining arena.

For many of the competitions a regular grocery store would do fine. But these guys want the opportunity to shine and I don't think they should be limited to what is available to the general public. A large part of a chef's job is to source our the best possible ingredients- often with a focus on sustainable, locally sourced and artisan produced items.

And yes- it was a shame to see them shopping at Loblaws when one of the best markets (and most expensive) in the country is a two minute walk away.