Jambands.ca

Derek Trucks picks his fav Allmans tracks

Jaimoe

thanks Jaimoe, I needed that. Couldn't agree more with Derek on his comments regarding Blue Sky, I think Duane's solo on the song is one of the best recorded guitar solos of all time. I'm very glad he didn't mention Midnight Rider, which to be fair is a good tune, but holy fuck is it ever overplayed (and overplayed and overplayed and overplayed). Enough already.

I think the not mentioning Dickey so much has to do the subject being Duane's passing in 1971 and the legacy he left behind.

thanks Jaimoe, I needed that. Couldn't agree more with Derek on his comments regarding Blue Sky, I think Duane's solo on the song is one of the best recorded guitar solos of all time. I'm very glad he didn't mention Midnight Rider, which to be fair is a good tune, but holy fuck is it ever overplayed (and overplayed and overplayed and overplayed). Enough already.

I think the not mentioning Dickey so much has to do the subject being Duane's passing in 1971 and the legacy he left behind.

"Midnight Rider" is one song I never tire of from their overplayed catalogue.

But the article is about Derek's favourite Allmans tracks, although the RS title and lead-in is obviously Duane-centric. I find it at least curious that Derek doesn't mention Dickey on Dickey songs such as "Jessica" and "Elizabeth Reed" given that many years have passed since the ugly split (Derek is no doubt more of a Duane guy anyway). Good list. Sad about Dickey's demise.

Edited by Guest

Point taken regarding Jessica and Liz Reed. For a second there you had me thinking Dickey had died using the word "demise" but I realize you meant in regard to his career and playing. I can't help but thinking (speculating) that his playing suffered so greatly in the last 10 years due to alcohol. Is it just me or aren't we taught in Rock n' Roll mythology that alcohol and drugs improves ones playing?

Point taken regarding Jessica and Liz Reed. For a second there you had me thinking Dickey had died using the word "demise" but I realize you meant in regard to his career and playing. I can't help but thinking (speculating) that his playing suffered so greatly in the last 10 years due to alcohol. Is it just me or aren't we taught in Rock n' Roll mythology that alcohol and drugs improves ones playing?

Did you ever see the 2004(?) Dickey Betts & Great Southern concert from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on HD-Net? It was shockingly bad. They sounded like a below average Allmans cover band and Betts's guitar couldn't keep up with most of the songs; Betts's playing was excruciatingly sloppy and he got seriously outplayed by Dan Toler and his son Duane.

thank you for posting! have to say those are a bunch of my favourites too, except for liz reed. i've tired of that one. when they do the mega-jam each show, i like to hear 'mountain jam', although they don't pull that one out toooooo often (in my experience).

i still heart midnight rider, bigtime! but maybe it's not the most fun to play. statesboro is also one i don't tire of, just listened to it this morning getting ready for work! tasty, tasty, raucous-y blues...

esp. liked seeing him mention stand back, please call home, don't keep me wonderin' and ain't wastin' time no more!

ahhhh it's been way too long since i've seen the bros..

Did you ever see the 2004(?) Dickey Betts & Great Southern concert from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on HD-Net? It was shockingly bad. They sounded like a below average Allmans cover band and Betts's guitar couldn't keep up with most of the songs; Betts's playing was excruciatingly sloppy and he got seriously outplayed by Dan Toler and his son Duane.

No, but I saw a show on that tour at States Theatre in Virginia and it was exactly as you described. Dickey was at least a half step behind the entire band for the entire night, playing solos completely out of time and flubbing changes. It was really awkward and weird and depressing especially compared to the Dickey of the mid-to-late 90's where he was on top of his game with the reformed Allmans.

His crappy playing of the 2000's is the only reason I don't bother with Dickey and Great Southern shows.

The last few Allmans shows I saw (2010) demonstrated a slight shift towards Derek leading the band more than Warren, which actually sounded fitting as he was, to my ears, the one playing with the most care/passion. I suspect they have at most 2 more years left in them before Greg really, really can't handle it anymore. But after 40 years of ups and down, who knows, maybe the road goes on forever.

I did catch a Dickey Betts show in Toronto at the Opera House and I thought it was great. I think Dickey is probably hit or miss, the reviews of his shows can go from absolutely amazing to waste of time. Substance abuse is a toughie.

I was at that show too: March 9, 2005. I thought he was in average form, but better than his last year with the Allmans. Decent show.