Jambands.ca

20 year anniversary of NHL '94

bouche

from NHL.com

But for many of his biggest fans, JR's greatest achievements did not take place on an actual sheet of ice.

That's because the 2010 inductee into the United States Hockey Hall of Fame is also one of the most dominating video-game characters of all time, thanks mostly to the skills demonstrated by his avatar in EA Sports' NHL '94.

The classic game was released 20 years ago this month and introduced countless people to hockey through their Nintendo and Sega consoles.

It also helped make Roenick a star.

"It's the No. 1 comment that is made to me over the course of every day, whether it's over Twitter or meeting on the street. Whatever the case may be, I would say one out of three people I meet mention '94 Sega," Roenick told NHL.com. "They say one of three things: One, 'You couldn't beat the Chicago Blackhawks [in the game] because of Jeremy Roenick.' No. 2, 'I got through college playing Jeremy Roenick in '94 Sega.' The third is it was a rule that you couldn't be the Chicago Blackhawks in the game, because they were that unstoppable.

"That still happens almost daily."

If Detroit had any goaltending they could have given the Blackhawks a run for their money, Yzerman and Fedorov were amazing, and Dino and Paul Coffey were good for some points, but god damn whoever the goaltender was, I can't remember, but he was a fucking sieve of gargantuan proportions.

Of course Chicago had Belfour, who was easily the best goaltender in the game, to go along with Roenick and Larmer.