Jambands.ca

Neil and Crazy Horse cancel Harvest Fest

NewRider

I'm late to the thread but would like to add my "F Harvest Picnic" in here.

I don't understand when businesses cheat or overcharge customers for petty amounts when it is going to cost them thousands in future revenue. Not only will Harvest Picnic be losing more money from me in the merch and other festival stuff I would have bought (beer, food, etc) but now I will never attend this festival again.

I should be in Colorado right now but seeing Neil at this show was important to me. I'm not going to spend several hundreds more on gas and hotel now to drive 6-7 hours each way to see Gordon Lightfoot, who I don't enjoy at all.

I consider not refunding my ticket stealing. And I will never attend Harvest Picnic no matter who they get in future years. I will never give another nickel to these shameful people. If anyone mentions the Harvest Picnic to me in the future I will tell them that Harvest Picnic and Jean Paul Gauthier cheated us. F those guys.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily for me, once I caught wind of Neil backing out I was able to dump my ticket for $125 on Kijiji before the flood of other tickets. I'm sure I would be saying the same as other folks here had I passed on other long weekend options for this, or been unable to sell my ticket as quick.

I'm not going rule out attending in the future, but I certainly won't be jumping on a ticket as quickly next year no matter who is playing. I'm really disappointed (and rather bitter) that the promoters wouldn't refund 100%, and am kinda surprised Neil's ticketing service wouldn't either. Obviously TM & LN aren't the only money grabbing pricks out there.

Luckily for me, once I caught wind of Neil backing out I was able to dump my ticket for $125 on Kijiji before the flood of other tickets. I'm sure I would be saying the same as other folks here had I passed on other long weekend options for this, or been unable to sell my ticket as quick.

I'm not going rule out attending in the future, but I certainly won't be jumping on a ticket as quickly next year no matter who is playing. I'm really disappointed (and rather bitter) that the promoters wouldn't refund 100%, and am kinda surprised Neil's ticketing service wouldn't either. Obviously TM & LN aren't the only money grabbing pricks out there.

Good job on getting rid of your ticket, I am glad for you that you could! I can't even do that because the only option available to us through Neil's ticketing was will call. So we are screwed.

I've tried my hardest since 2006 or whenever it was when the whole TM secondary market scam was exposed to not buy anything from TM or a secondary market, and only purchase tickets direct from venue or bands website (not that that excludes the possibility TM isn't still involved mind you). While I have missed out on a lot shows I've felt pretty content with my boycott decision, and still do. But, when I hear about a band's service not offering a refund to show they are not even playing (fest or not) it really burns my ass. I mean, now-a-days going to some concerts is equal to planning a vacation for some folks considering how much tickets cost. I slowly lose faith in some musicians each day it seems (eg; Dylan). It's depressing to think Neil has had that effect on me now too.

I am disappointed in Neil too. I know he does whatever he wants, which is fine, and if he doesn't want to play a solo show then he won't, so I can't say I'm surprised by the cancellation. But I always admired him and I have a problem with him not making sure his fans are dealt with fairly.

I spend a lot on Neil shows every year, usually seeing several on a tour and traveling (plus I always buy a t-shirt and album). Next tour I'll consider saving that money.

also wanted to mention that by buying tix from Neil's site directly, we paid 165$ each, which i believe is about 25$ MORE per ticket than Ticketmaster charged! and this was the early-bird tix. so we lose an extra 50$ because we bought from Neil instead of TM.

terrible way to treat your fans.

Pegi Young and The Survivors sounded fantastic this afternoon. I wasn't sure what to expect but this will do just fine. I recognized the bass and piano players from somewhere- maybe some of Neils 'other' bands or side projects? Pegi pulled up in a very recent model Prevost bus- perhaps she borrowed Neils for the weekend? I don't think he is using it :blush:

The site looks fantastic. The second stage is what is commonly referred to as a tweener stage which will host performances while the main stage is being changed over. It sits behind the sound tent/ FOH, which is a setup style I've yet to see and looks quite cool. It will also give the smaller artists a more intimate performance space than up on the big stage with the large security barrier.

Not much else to say, except that if the organizers really want to make up for the whole debacle, a nice thing to do might be to waive the $10 parking fee.

Pegi Young and The Survivors sounded fantastic this afternoon. I wasn't sure what to expect but this will do just fine. I recognized the bass and piano players from somewhere- maybe some of Neils 'other' bands or side projects?

Nice. bass player would be Rock Rosas, who has played with Neil in various incarnations over the past 25 years. He's Neil's go-to guy.

The piano player is Spooner Oldham. A true legend. Any audience should treat his presence as a treat and with due respect. I look forward to hearing him play!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooner_Oldham

The piano player is Spooner Oldham. A true legend. Any audience should treat his presence as a treat and with due respect.

Agreed, and well put. His credentials are beyond reproach.

Seeing him with DBT still boggles my mind (in a good way). So awesome.

The piano player is Spooner Oldham. A true legend. Any audience should treat his presence as a treat and with due respect.

Agreed' date=' and well put. His credentials are beyond reproach.

Seeing him with DBT still boggles my mind (in a good way). So awesome.

[/quote']

fuckin' right!

Just got back. While the festival was often underwhelming musically, I had a wonderful day in a beautiful setting. I will definitely go back to this festival again; maybe not annually, but I will return for sure.

A few musical notes:

Emmylou Harris's set was hands-down the highlight. She was sublime - what a voice! - and her song choices were top-notch.

Gordon Lightfoot, I'm afraid to say, was unbelievably disappointing. I've seen him a half-dozen times so i know he's not the most dynamic performer, but they might as well have just rolled out a nice cot so he could lie down and croak his way through particularly wimpy versions of so many classic songs. Plus they cut the volume down by half because 'ol Gord doesn't like things loud. Ugh.

Daniel Lanois's set was trippy, expansive and inspired. Enjoyed it very much.

Terra Lightfoot played a smokin' 15 minute set on the second stage - she's just a delight, a real talent.

Pegi Young and her band played a set of songs that ranged from all-right, to servicable, to just bad; but the musicians on stage were fantastic. They were just playing bad songs and Pegi Young is not a great singer. Got to meet her though, what a sweet lady!

Martha Wainwright played a beautiful set; never seen her before. It was great to see Emmylou side stage catching every song.

Trixie Whitley (who?) was irritating.

Finally, it was a thrill for me to see Hamilton guitar legend Brian Griffith play a short set of solo electric guitar that floored everyone who was there at the second stage to check it. It's always fun to see an old friend impress.

What a pain about the ticket situation. I'm still so glad I went.

Finally, weather was perfect, the food stalls were varied and interesting, and Steam Whistle cans were $5, and icy cold. Amen.

Edited by Guest

The superjam was weak sauce and left me scratching my head. For a "super" jam I'd have expected at least one or two of the names on the bill that you'd heard of at some point ever to have come out, instead of another 15 minutes of Trixie caterwauling and some of the other names I didn't recognize or care to hear play with Dan Lanois. To have gone nearly 45 minutes past the intended finish time for that, capped the day in a weird way. By the time we got our booth packed up it was very cool and very very wet.

The best music I heard all day was the first 2 hours- Harlan Pepper at noon was great!, and the last 2 before said superjam.

Emmylou doing Every Grain of Sand was definitely my highlight. The Lanois set was dirty, jammy and Horse like at times, as though he was doing his best to make us forget who had cancelled.

Dans set and sit ins with several artists really helped my overall enjoyment; that and making bank in our vendor booth. The people that came were ready to spend on local goods and spend they did! Unfortunately they also littered with the same gusto. When the crowd cleared the number of abandoned chairs, blankets, inflatables etc was pretty disgusting.

All in all it was a good day of music, weather and friends, but after a really good day of sales and a cooler full of my own icy cold beer it didn't really cost me to be there so my opinion is totally biased.

Sorry to you folks who got screwed by the ticket situation. Judging from the number of Neil Young shirts around people wanted to remind everyone who they really wanted to see for their $$.

Oh yeah and as if I almost forgot: buffalo chicken, blue cheese, bacon and arugula on warm waffles was about the best festival sandwich ever.

Edited by Guest

This is so Neil Young.....

http://gawker.com/neil-youngs-very-expensive-electric-car-broke-down-in-1245382312

"Young drives the electric vehicle across the country promoting clean energy and sustainability. According to the South Lake Tahoe Police Watch, the Grammy winning artist was on his way to a greening festival up in his home country of Canada when his unique car broke down in the middle of the Sierra Desert. Thankfully, some some officers from the Truckee branch of the California Highway Patrol happened by, and helped Young get his car off the highway."