Jambands.ca

san francisco/big sur recommendations

RobL

I know there are some well traveled people on this board so looking for some recommendations. I am going to be flying into san fran for three days. Driving to big sure for chris robinson brotherhood in early may. Need recommendations on restaurants i need to eat at, Local Beer I need to drink. Tourist things i have to see.(thinking about alcatrez tour, worth it?) Won't have a lot of time but want to check some things out. Record shops I have to hit? I am driving from san fran to big sur on the saturday i get there so anything a long the way works too. Thanks for any info!!

You have to go to Amoeba Music in the Haight Ashbury area- even with your collection I bet you find tonnes of stuff you have been looking for (they also have a great selection of concert posters). Infact that whole area is something you have to see. The old Grateful Dead house is just around the corner too (710 Ashbury).

The Alcatraz tours require advance ticket buying, they sell out pretty regularly- although maybe not at that time of year.

Fishermans Wharf is pretty cool, but a bit touristy.

The best places I ate was Pompeiis Grotto in Fishermans Wharf (pasta and seafood). If you happen to be out in the city early (or have Dave in tow) La Tartine has the best pastries and bread pudding I have ever had- get there early it lines up by 9am.

Don't bother going by The Fillmore unless you have tickets to a show, there is absolutely nothing to see (not even a marquee to take pictures).

This was my favorite US city I have ever been too, but I can only afford a trip every couple of years. Things are very expensive.

If I think of more I will post again.

Edited by Guest

Head to Mission St for some tasty burritos. There's a lot of debate on what's the best, but really they're almost all good.

Beretta on Valencia st is awesome for some light italian fare - great neopolitan style pizzas and apps.

21st Amendment brewery - they have a ridiculous amount of tasty beers... if the Hell or High watermelon wheat is out yet, try it. great for a hot day!

The Swan Oyster Depot is supposed to be great too - tried to go a couple times but it was always very busy.

Amoeba music, as NW said, is a haven for people with your vinyl affliction.

Actually, if you're hitting Amoeba, which is in the upper haight, head to the Lower Haight to Toronado. Kick ass, albeit tiny bar with more incredible beer on tap than you can try in a month of sundays.

Tratorria Contadina, (traditional italian fare) in North beach is fantastic as well. I inevitably end up eating here whenever we visit town.

As long as you're in North Beach, you might as well hit Vesuvio, a particularly awesome bar that Kerouac, ferlingetti, ginsberg and the rest of their crew used to drink at daily. It's right next to City Lights book store that Ferlingetti used to own.

If I think of something else that's a must hit, I'll add it in. I'm excited for you! I effin love that town.

Edited by Guest

I effin love that town.

me too :rainbow:

fortunately, I get to visit on paid business trips every 6 months.

If you are into gardening and plants...head to Golden Gate Park for a few hours. It's huge and the tree ferns are amazing.

If you have the time I would head to Half Moon Bay and then drive south along hwy 1 to Big Sur. Not the fastest route, but definitely the most scenic. Lots of beaches along the way to stop at for breaks.

There's great architecture in SF, so I normally just wander the streets, eating great food and taking in the beautiful buildings and plants.

Terrapin Crossroads is just north of the city..are you hitting up the 3 CRB shows there too?

I effin love that town.

me too :rainbow:

fortunately' date=' I get to visit on paid business trips every 6 months.

If you are into gardening and plants...head to Golden Gate Park for a few hours. It's huge and the tree ferns are amazing.

If you have the time I would head to Half Moon Bay and then drive south along hwy 1 to Big Sur. Not the fastest route, but definitely the most scenic. Lots of beaches along the way to stop at for breaks.

There's great architecture in SF, so I normally just wander the streets, eating great food and taking in the beautiful buildings and plants.

Terrapin Crossroads is just north of the city..are you hitting up the 3 CRB shows there too?

[/quote']

cool thanks. Ya plan was to take the more scenic route down the # 1. The plan was originally to hit the terrapin crossroads shows then i slept on the tickets and it sold out. So i changed plans and am now hitting big sur. I have a feeling the big sur shows are going to be something special. All the other shows on the tour are $35.00 or less. Big sure is $85.00 per show and they are pegging it a very special shows in Big sur. I guess I will see!!

Edited by Guest