Jambands.ca

RIP Comfort Zone: A Peek Inside the Last days of the Waverly Hotel & Comfort Zone

edger

For those of you who have a fondness for the unique brand of gritty, dirty beats, grooves, light, darkness & sketch that was the Comfort Zone & Silver Dollar, there is a cool little piece from Spacing magazine:

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2018/02/15/peak-inside-last-days-waverly-hotel-comfort-zone/?fbclid=IwAR1_taNIcWKAnD_jn8qyiQxwQcy-0sdHC-gJ07prSa2kM1GzFlQycomweqo

So many great shows there....cheers to NewRider & Mulemomma for all the amazing acts they brought through there.  I have often wondered whatever happened to Cosmic Steve.

These are among my MOST memorable nights, in no particular order:

-Regular Fat Cats residencies;

-Burt Neilson Band;

-Fat Burt New Years 2000;

-Jazz is Dead (faaaackin awesome...holy shit, like Jimmy feckin Herring in your living room, that band launched me);

-Derek Truck Bands (he was so wee...and so was I. Also mesmorizing);

Tony Trischka (nuff said);

Gov't Mule (among the sweatiest shows of my life, briefly met Allen Woody & Warren that night in the staircase before the show, poor Allen passed away days later I believe it was. I remember thinking at the time of running into him that he looked a little...tired. But the show was 'bumpin')

Burning Spear (ya mon....positive, uplifting times)

There are many more nights that have likely been lost or obscured in the haze.

It was a matter of time, but sad to see it go

Interesting to see pictures of the rest of the place.  I feel like I missed out on something by not sleeping there (maybe something like tuberculosis).  I remember going to the bar for load in after they had "renovated" and once I saw the junked chairs outside in the bright sun I almost gagged thinking I had actually touched some of them with my bum.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:18 AM, Velvet said:

Interesting to see pictures of the rest of the place.  I feel like I missed out on something by not sleeping there (maybe something like tuberculosis).  I remember going to the bar for load in after they had "renovated" and once I saw the junked chairs outside in the bright sun I almost gagged thinking I had actually touched some of them with my bum.

Just imagine how the poor chairs felt. 

• 4 weeks later...