Jambands.ca

Just beggining to realize what went down at Evolve.

kung

Had to put a word out somewhere about this whole Evolve trip. After the whole thing was said and done I met a woman who I spoke with very briefly at the fest and we fell desperately in love. At this point I can't seperate this unforeseen end from the sickness that was the fest. The Slip are just completely on. If Burt Neilson has/had good intentions then the Slip has right intention. Burt fucking blew it up, they played the sickest, silliest, juiciest grooves- especially the Papa which was additionally vocally stunning. Conversely the Slip smoked but their set was like a heron's flight, methodic, economical, determined. Nero was stellar as was Downtime (nice long Piper theme opener to just make my afternoon and weekend). Caution Jam especially when Jeff and Jeff (Geoff?) joined was just so sweet, too sweet for words. I really dug the Flushing Meadows on Sunday after Downtime as well. Not a jamband in the least but really hard to describe. Benn Ross on drums from Al Tuck's No Action and a bunch of other bands, great silky drummer almost like a Levon. Upright Bass, weird keys and this really cool vocalist who was wearing a sarong and kind of reminded me of a blend between Stacy Hoon and Jack Black. I don't remember what they sang about but it was meaningful infectious music. I want to know more about them.

I'll be back at the studio to pump up NH with all the dirt soon but just wanted to get the word out early. I swear to god it was just so clear that Canada is right on a par and up to the American standard.

not that it really matters, but I'm not to sure what you're trying to say with "has/had good intentions", "right intentions". Anyway the festival was a blast and the Slip definetly rocked my shit!!! Did you get a chance to see "Hot Toddy"? What a great band.

Kung, you are so right about the Canadian bands being up to par with the American bands. Which basically means to me that they are amung the best in the world. Hey, moe. down is going down just under 1 hour away from my place in the 1000 Islands, but I'm driving 6 hours instead to go to the Come Together festival instead. We feel so lucky to be able to see all these bands all the time and especially nero once or twice a week. Something crazy happened to those nero boys out East because when we saw them on Tuesday they destroyed us. shocked.gif" border="0

The thing to get about the Slip is that to say they're heavy guys in person would be an understatement. Their real geniuses that speak kind of cryptically mainly because they know there are no words for all of this. I interviewed them at length and it was too weird. Intention is something we talked about, I suppose in a Buddhist context. They know that your intention is everything, their intention is to go out and play an evenly distributed show from start to finish so that they don't for instance think of peaks (at least not without valleys). So they've had the benefit of money, education, leisure- basically aristocratic pursuits that have left them high minded but not high handed.

Burt on the other hand had the best intentions but they're intention was to go out and smoke. I thought for instance they would be singing more songs (and said that in a preview for Jambase). So good intentions/ right intention - subtle difference. The Slip would just never go out to funk the house off, it's just not their trip.

And I will say this again Nero is playing hot because Dave is in league with the Boognish.

Archived