Jambands.ca

nero log, stardate 123101

Pablo Sanchez

Ok, so who's got copies then? Hope someone else was taping it.

Nero lads, I'd love to get some of the recent stuff you've played if you can do it in SHN or audio or DAT format (I'd really be interested in grabbing that last Ottawa show with Homestyle too). If one of you could email me and give me some details on how we might work that out I'd be very grateful. I could definately lend a hand in getting stuff spread around.

Thanks!

Blane

Thanks Bouche & BB...Yeah, great time out there eh? It's really too bad the bus didn't make it, it would've added a whole other dimension.

Oh, and don't worry, the show isn't totally lost...I actually remember all of the guys' parts from most of the second set. I can sing back either the bass or the guitar while tapping Jay's parts on my legs, but not all three at once, and really, it's just a capella. I'll keep the tour stories going as the tours happen though.

Yee Ha!

nero w/Grand Theft Bus @ The Chestnut, Fredericton, NB

Here, finally, was the show we were all excited about. The Chestnut is a pretty big room, definitely the biggest venue on this tour. The room capacity was sold out in advance and at least a hundred people came through the door looking for tickets while the band was setting up. They were told to come back and get a stamp; though the capacity of the room was sold, they were gonna accept all comers.

By the time the first set started, the place was pretty packed, and people kept flooding in for the next hour and a half. Sound was great and there was some cool light shows going on as nero started off their set. They played a pretty good set including 401 Theme, Peaches, and Moby's Dream but most of the crowd were laying back near the bar doing some heavy drinking in preparation for the countdown. People started getting up and shaking their drunken bones by nero's last tune, now that they (nero and the audience) were nice and primed up. While nero jammed out, the members of GTB got up on the stage, one at a time, and started to weave into the groove. Before you knew it both bands were onstage jamming out and the audience reacted by packing out the dance floor and grooving. One by one Dave, Jay and Shane departed from the stage leaving GTB to jam into their first set. Which was killer. In my opinion the two best bands in this genre that Canada has to offer were playing the Chestnut that night. Grand Theft Bus, though I've only caught them three times, get way better every time I see them, and I thought they were great the first time. Their jamming is getting more solid and more experimental all the time. They're in Ottawa January 25th. Go.

Eventually Dave got up on stage and started jamming with GTB to begin the jam changover back to another nero set. Another great jam and GTB was offstage, leaving nero with a jammed dance floor in a jammed bar. nero jammed (sorry) into Carol of Bells, which really got people off, and proceeded to play the best set of their short career. During another marathon Condor they went into an Auld Lang Syne jam and people freaked. One funny thing from this set: I was doing lights at the soundboard and nero was in a really trippy jam and I heard something weird. I immediately looked behind me at the board and saw the soundman (who was on acid) riding the mains up and down really fast giving the whole room a huge tremolo effect. Wide-eyed, I looked at him and he looked at me and then he yelled, "I'm back! I'm back, don't worry, I'm okay now! I'm back!" and he put the mains back and struck the classic soundman pose, staring at the band, occasionally twiddling knobs. I turned my head away and laughed out loud for at least 75 seconds straight. Anyway, suffice to say that this set, nero rocked the house like never before.

For the third and last time, nero and GTB had a full on, two band jam into the final set of the night. During GTB's second song, with everybody dancing and having a great time, the power to the lights, the board, the Tascam (thereby erasing they s/b + mic recording of the whole show) and everything on the stage except the bass amp went down. I was standing right next to the soundman when this happened (I'm laughing my ass off as I type this) and he said, "Oooooohhh" kinda quietly. I asked him what happened, and he said the power went out. Yeah, thanks. Then he calmly started to walk through the crowd towards the stage. I was staring at the guy with my mouth on the floor, ‘cuz if I was on acid and solely responsible for getting sound back going into the last set of a NYE gig in a packed house I'd be freaking out! He went about fifteen feet and calmly turned around and walked back to the board. As he walked by me he muttered, "forgot my flashlight," picked it up and slowly headed towards the stage again. Funny as hell. Luckily the drums and bass kept jamming out and I bet some people didn't even notice that the power was down for about seven minutes. Eventually the power came back up and GTB closed out the night in fine style. What a great show, NYE and two great bands feeding us nonstop, no setbreak music. Where else you gonna find that?

Finally got all the gear packed up and back to the motel when a bunch of us headed to a party. Though initially and immediately refused admission to said party, we eventaully were welcomed and jammed and drank and partied until about 9am. Highlight there was the YEM jam featuring Dave on lead banjo. Motel, breakfast, three hours of sleep and ready to make the trek back to Ottawa.

By the way, special mention goes out to the crew that made it up from Ottawa, great to see you guys there. Sorry about the Pizza Delight suggestion.

Overall, an unbelievably fun tour. The east coast rocks in a big way, and believe me, I wouldn't have said that ten years ago (I'm from out there). We all met lot's of nice folks, made some friends I know we'll see again and a lot of people got their first dose of live nero. Those folks I know we'll see again also. In March.

Quote of the Day: Sorry, I better not print this one, but it was stated by a drunken Dave over breakfast and included a lot of loud profanities.

Ps From now on I'll keep track of set lists. Sorry.