Jambands.ca

Ottawa Blues Fest

Just wonderin', what was the Ottawa Blues Fest like last year? I remember the lineup was insane! Is it a pretty good festival? Worth the 5-6 hour drive? This year's lineup doesn't look quite as crazy as the last one but still pretty crazy.. Gatemouth Brown, JJ Cale, Southern Culture On The Skids, Alvin Youngblood Hart, the T-Hip, Blue Rodeo, bunch of others.

I doesn't appear very 'bluesy' to me.

I dunno, but the headliner is the Tragically Hip. Sure, they could play some blues tunes, and Gord Downie would probably be quite entertaining..... but at a Bluesfest?

I know there's a lot more than the Hip there, but it just seems very strange.

http://www.ottawa-bluesfest.ca/

1 Question - Why in the hell is Tony D scheduled AFTER Jimmy Vaughn?

hahaha! What a funny lineup glitch. I wonder if they'll play together, and Tony D can show Jimmy Vaughn all of the licks his brother used to play!

ahahahahah!

omigod - I just checked the schedule. GO SEE LUCINDA WILLIAMS!!! She's headlining on Saturday the 13th. Hopefully we'll be back from the States in time for that. Overall, I'd say Bluesfest is amazing, a great price, and worth the drive. Overall it's pretty blues based, but let go of the blues thing or it'll just get under your skin, 'cuz yeah, they always have a few big acts that aren't blues at all. Whatever, genres come after the music. As for Tony D following Jimmy Vaughan, Tony has pushy management. There are some places in this world where those two guys are on par with each other popularity-wise. Don't be dissing someone just 'cuz they're local! And yeah, he was a SRV rip off, but that was years ago, he's mainly flamenco now.

Anyway, GO SEE LUCINDA WILLIAMS!

While I'm at it, the Brothers Creeggan will be at Zaphod's in mid May, and everybody that reads this forum would like that show.

Just checking out the Ottawa Blues Fest lineup... they may as well call it the Ottawa Rock Fest. I'd say less than half of the performers are true blues artist. None of the headliners are what most people would call blues artists.

Calling it rock fest might help to keep those lawn chair people away! wink.gif" border="0

That being said, I'll probably be there every night. Without a lawn chair!

One band that will certainly be intersting is the Del McCoury band, I think they are part of that "Down from the Mountain" thing. Del is of Trey's heros.

Yeah, not much of a blues fest per se, but still some really good acts that don't come around much. Anyone out there know much Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown?? He is an AMAZING blues artist, my favourite by far. Check out his music is you get a chance! It'd be cool to see JJ Cale too. Last year Ike Turner was in the lineup, then he got into some border hassels on the way out and said he'd never come back! Hehe. (I think that was the story.. Actually I probably heard about it through this board).