Jambands.ca

Question of 2002.06.25

bradm

hux, why did you delete the pic? you were jsut missing the http://

yeast extract eh? yummy - is that bad for you good for you? what food category does yeast fit into? carbs?

you should change your signature to

"Sharon the groove" eh? ha, ya?

Does anyone still love grape jelly on toast - that is SUCH a blast back to childhood for me...

An ex of mine is fond of Marmite and bacon grease on toast.

(Here, have a bucket.)

Yeast is not a bad thing, unless it starts growing where it shouldn't. Like, say, the Marmite factory. Without yeast, we wouldn't have an easy way to make tasty alcoholic beverages like beer. (Other organisms can produce ethanol--the bacterium z. mobilis comes to mind--but yeast is convenient.)

If you can find it, one of J. L.'s better products is the Kraft No-Sugar / No-Salt peanut butter (look for a blue label; I think you can only get it in the 500g jars). I always laugh when I see a Jif ad that says it tastes "more like fresh roasted peanuts" when they add salt and icing sugar to it. The NS / NS from Kraft tastes like peanuts. (They also make a "just peanuts" product, which, like health food peanut butter [or the President's Choice TGTBT], has to be stirred when opened and stored in the fridge.)

Aloha,

Brad

On-topic: Regular Kraft smooth. I don't eat it often enough to warrant the better all-natural PB from, say, Herb and Spice.

Off-topic: Marmite is made from beer yeast, the leftovers from the distilleries if I remember correctly. It's powerful and the "marmite soldier" is a very very thin layer of Marmite on a large piece of toast. You don't put enough on to lose sight of the bread. Vegemite is vegetable-based yeast, and is used the same way. Both pack a bunch of nutrients, and if nothing else, make kick-ass broth starters... (Credentials: my dad had a marmite sandwhich as part of the exact same lunch for 30 years, so I grew up with it. Tasted it once. Haven't had the cojones to get a jar all to myself, but then again, I don't dare much in life. Except dancing.)

the trick is in the degree of 'melting'... well melted Peanut Butter, regardless of race, creed or gender, is superb. This is where the underlayer of butter becomes key as it promotes melting in the PB layer above.

According to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, the enjoyment factor (e) is directly proportional to the melting factor (m) and the square of the butter creaminess ©... hence e=mc2. He added the square 'cuz that is the shape of most toasts.

i remember jif actually did taste a lot nuttier than kraft...that's when you could really only get it in the states. i prefer real peanut butter but i like the cheap stuff too. smooth is generally preferred because it's been years and years since i've had crunchy.

if you're interested in marmite/vegemite might i suggest that you try beefy bovril. it's a spreadable boullion that has similar nitritiuonal value but tastes like beef broth. definitely pallatable unless you're a vegetarian...even then you could turn the cheek as it's not really a piece of meat. depends on your own moral fortitude. i don't mind the fact that if vegetarianism is truly the way to go steaks are worth the karma to me...unless they'5re well done. then the onus is on the barbequer for ruining a perfectly good cut of meat...

peanut butter...yeah...