Jambands.ca

Dr. Didg

mark tonin

Below is an email I received re: Dr. Didg. Have any Sanctuarians seen Dr. Didg? I'd love to know what you think of the band.

Here is the email that I received:

Hey there Mark, my name is Jamz Maher. I am writing this e-mail in the hopeful event that you may be able to help me. There is a band coming up this way and could use a hand with some promo.

This group is called "Dr. Didg". In the beginning the band started out as the acoustic world rhythm group "Outback" featuring the Didgeriedoo. That was ten years ago. Since then the group Dr. Didg has traveled through markets in the U.K., Australia, Mexico and the U.S. and have three major releases that are distributed to record stores all over North and Central America. These records vary from trance to funk to the newest release "DUST DEVILS" which is more live techno dance!

I have been working with Graham Wiggins, who fronts the group, helping him put together the possible summertime tour for 2003 (it all depends an the agent). On top of other promotional ideas I felt the group could maybe get some pre tour promo on Jambands.ca. I have mentioned this site to him as a possible means of promo. The disappointing thing is that this group has been creating theses hypnotic rhythms for almost ten years and no one North of the boarder has ever heard of them. It truly is a shame.

I think you'll be impressed with Grahams accomplishments. For example; he has played and recorded with Mickey Hart from The Grateful Dead on two of the Mickey Hart albums. Studied the Physics of the Didgeridoo and holds a doctorate in Physics, hence Dr. Didg. On top of having various television spots in England, has had a few write-up's in RELIX and has also been to Australia to further his education on the Ancient and Traditional Aboriginal uses of the instrument.

I have been doing some free promotional work for the band over the last few weeks and spoken with some people at Much Music as well as some record stores in Toronto. I have also spoken with "The Beat Goes On", and they have offered to take Dr. Didg albums on consignment along with a promotional special offered by their distribution company and give them some play in the stores as well as a listening station. You see the thing is, that all of these huge record stores have all the Dr. Didg albums in their databases, however no one carries them. The ones that do keep them buried in the World Rhythm section, a hugely overlooked department in all record stores.

I'm hoping that over the next six to eight months we can all come together and create some awareness, or hype, so that these guys will have a great tour and come back again. This will be the bands first time in Canada (with the exception of a brief trip to British Columbia), and they are taking a huge gamble coming into a market where no one knows them, and the currency is between 35% to 40% less that what they would make back home.

If you get a chance, check out the web site at www.drdidg.com and tell me what you think.

If you are interested, the group is playing a show in Buffalo, NY. on Friday November 1st, the day before the Halloween party @ Frontier Ghosttown. I have about twenty people going from Branford alone. It will be a great show! You will not be disappointed!

Thank you for your consideration.

Dr. Didg played a show in Canmore in Summer 2000, it was awesome. There was the didg, drummer and a guitarist. Graham (Dr. Didg) is pretty fascinating to watch.. He starts off with one riff (or groove/rhythm/drone/etc -- brain not functioning well right now) and he will loop it. Then he continues to add live didg loops until the music becomes a really heavy and intense groove. After a few songs he explained to the audience exactly what he was doing, which was pretty interesting. He also uses a little keyboard type thing too. The guitarist was pretty insane too if I remember correctly. I bought their "Live Jams" cd and still crank it out!

The morning after their show they came into my work (Bruno's, in Banff) and I made 'em breakfast. [smile]

I'd love to see Dr. Didg again! Hope that it works out.

every CT fest I was at this summer(missed august) i heard a dr. didg CD playing...people north of the border HAVE heard these guys...killer stuff. i'd love to see stuff like that at frontiertown.

watch out for that jaymz dude though...anyone working for free must be a crazy person [Razz]

one of the many brantford pholk. nice guy.

anyhow, this year CT fest was mostly a party with music except for may 24...a concert that was a party. i hope next year turns out to have every weekend like victoria day weekend. the party's too distracting.

Didg is a regular here in Vancouver, and man can the guy throw a dance party! You really gotta love the trance drone....he is a master of live sampling and is fairly known throughout the world from his previous projects (Outback) and a famous appearance in a tent at Glostenbury, UK using a battery powered generator (where he stumbled upon his technique)

We saw him do a "set-blender" (love that expression) with STS9 here a couple of years back....

I have seen him play with DJ Harry and the Cheese during their first Hornings appearance (Full Moon Dream Dance craziness).....Awesome!

I saw him play a tear jerking version of "Breathe" with Keller Williams and Joe Craven (from Grisman Quintet - who played a 5 gallon plastic bucket) at a High Sierra a couple of years ago.....