Jambands.ca

Who's Got the Acid? (MSN article)

paisley

Who's Got the Acid? - These Days Almost Nobody

The LSD market took an earlier blow in 1995, when Grateful Dead frontman Jerry Garcia died and the band stopped touring. For 30 years, Dead tours were essential in keeping many LSD users and dealers connected, a correlation confirmed by the DEA in a divisional field assessment from the mid-'90s. The spring following Garcia's death (the season the MTF surveys are administered), annual LSD use among 12th-graders peaked at 8.8 percent and began their slide. Phish picked up part of the Dead's fan base—and presumably vestiges of the LSD delivery system. At the end of 2000, Phish stopped touring as well, and perhaps not coincidentally, the MTF numbers for LSD began to plummet.

(don't know how much I agree with the above inflammatory paragraph... its likely a factor but I wouldn't say its THE factor, more likely organized crime figured you can make way bigger profits moving E, and E's easier to make)

According to court testimony, the DEA seized the largest operable LSD laboratory in agency history, as well as 91 pounds of LSD and precursor compounds for the potential manufacture of nearly 27 pounds more. If you define a dose of LSD as 100 micrograms, Apperson and Pickard had around 400 million hits in stock.

::

thats very true steve, i really think that E is a bad thing, not that i didn't spend a year gobbling as much as possible, but i did a shitload of acid and i don't feel it really effected me that much(if its clean), E left me a total mess the day after and a bit flakey at the end of the year...very shallow drug.

Acid is great, cathartic, wild, it really gives one the feeling of taking a journey, through dark and light, ending in total bliss.

There is NONE around, what a pity. Its the one psychadelic that i would really like to do again.

Wow, that's pretty amazing that those dudes were single handedly responsible for supplying the majority of North American with Vitimin A. Kinda like Jonny Depp in Blow...

Back about 8 years ago I bought 4 hits of this really clean A from BC. It was so amazing. What fun! It was also pretty wild how I both created a solved a major life crisis on each experience... Drugs made me go back to school?! Go figure...

I think I'd have a hard time ever trusting the quality again though.

Like a bad penny this article keeps showing up...

We were discussing this on the Jamhub a week ago also.

I feel anyway it has more to do with this article I posted last year sometime here.This article sorta sums up why there is not that much LSD around anymore and the link here;in is to a DEA website with arrest decline graphs etc.

http://www.dea.gov/pubs/states/newsrel/sanfran112403.html

Melgren stated that according to court testimony, this was the single largest seizure of an operable LSD lab in the history of the Drug Enforcement Administration. DEA agents seized approximately 41.3 kilograms (90.86 pounds) of LSD, approximately 97.5 kilograms (214.5 pounds) of lysergic acid, a precursor to LSD, approximately 23.6 kilograms (51.92 pounds) of iso-LSD, a by-product from the manufacture of LSD and 19 kilograms (41.8 pounds) of ergocristine, a precursor to LSD with the ability to create an additional 12.4 kilograms (27.28 pounds) of LSD.

Apperson was arrested driving the rental truck containing the lab. Pickard, who was driving a Buick LeSabre, fled on foot and was arrested the next day at a farm outside Wamego. Fourteen canisters of a chemical required to produce LSD valued at over $1,000,000 were found at the missile silo. According to court testimony, Pickard and Apperson previously manufactured LSD in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where every five weeks the lab produced about 2.2 pounds of LSD, approximately 10 million doses that cost less than one cent a dose to produce and would sell for as much as $10 a dose. According to court testimony, the LSD was shipped to California and later to Europe for distribution.

Seems these dudes were the North american suppliers for years.

I think their arrest has a bigger impact then Jerry's death.

If I find the article I posted here I add that link also...

Seems these dudes were the North american suppliers for years.

I think their arrest has a bigger impact then Jerry's death.

ya, the MSN article gives that bust most of the credit too, just brought up the Jerry / Phish quote as I doubt that had much to do with high school kids scorin doses

So what explains the LSD drought? The best explanation is a bust, a really big bust. The DEA claims it reduced the LSD supply by "95 percent" with two arrests in rural Kansas in November 2000. Clyde Apperson and William Leonard Pickard were charged with and eventually convicted of possession and conspiracy to distribute LSD. According to court testimony, the DEA seized the largest operable LSD laboratory in agency history, as well as 91 pounds of LSD and precursor compounds for the potential manufacture of nearly 27 pounds more. If you define a dose of LSD as 100 micrograms, Apperson and Pickard had around 400 million hits in stock. At the more common dosage level of 20 micrograms, the two were sitting on 2 billion hits. Apperson got 30 years in prison, and Pickard got two life sentences. The Kansas bust marked the third time in four years that the DEA had arrested Apperson and Pickard on LSD lab charges.

2 life sentances, ouch

I think I heard just getting caught with a few tabs in some states can net you 20 years in the penn

came across the article on yesterday's boing boing, didn't realize it was a repost

Nevada had incorperated the "zero tolerance" back in the '80s,just like beig busted at a border,is why we always skipped the GD Nevada shows back then,especially after a girl from Burlington ON got busted in 88 or 89 (I think) and got life (25 years minimum) for trafficing acid,she was busted with 25 tabs only.

I recall reading about it in Relix mag. and I do believe she is one of the folks that is in my Deadheads in prison mag,I know "Green Prisoners Release" attempted to aid in her release back in 97 but were unsuccessful.