Jambands.ca

Burning Spear in Toronto on Canada Day

NewRider

If nero isn't playing that night (there's a rumoured Ottawa Canada show), I would consider going... What I've heard of Spearhead is alright, but he's still got the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (sp?) hanging over his head... What a garbage band that was...

I love the Spear and used to see him when I first got into shows going to the old reggae festivals at the Ontario Place Forum. It was always some Canadian cheesebag (Luciano?), The Mighty Daggers, Steel Pulse and Spear or something like that, maybe throw in Culture or Third World. If you got to see the Pulse though maybe you'd hear a Makka Spliff>Drug Squad>Ku Klux Klan (sweet covers right there). And Burning Spear (for the seminal recording see Burning Spear Live In Paris) would always rock the house. Reminds me of the bluesfests at the same venue- Little Feat would warm it up and Dr. John and BB King would come out strutting- actully both their bands would come out first then they'd come out after the intro theme. So Burning Spear, Winston Rodney himself is the Dr. John or BB King of the reggae world, the only person to come out of the Studio One label hell all of Jamaica other than Marley that stands out as an iconoclast of the genre. Marcus Garvey's Ghost the album is another definite need to have. Shit everyone knows this let me just have my moment okay.

(but don't you think Spear's band and particularly synth sounds are very well ugh Vince Welnicky- come to think of it there are a few parallels there...)

For archivist types, the actual dates of The Comfort Zone Spear shows were Friday, July 21st and Saturday, July 22nd, 2000, with DJ Chocolate and Dub Solution supporting both nights. They were smokin' hot shows, though somehow being that HOT really worked on those nights ;) Remember too NR, that was the weekend of the ill-fated Goodforest Festival in Chippewa with ekoostik hookah, Zen Tricksters, and Sultans of Bing up from the states. Seems to me, that's been hookah's only trip to Canada thus far.

But hasn't Spear been up to Toronto since? Seems to me I have some kind of recollection of some festival a couple years later (not counting the Hillside Festival a week later).

• 1 month later...

" Remember too NR, that was the weekend of the ill-fated Goodforest Festival in Chippewa with ekoostik hookah, Zen Tricksters, and Sultans of Bing up from the states. Seems to me, that's been hookah's only trip to Canada thus far.

"

i remember that, too bad it failed. Remember Zoos?

Too bad that festival failed as well....

Dang Canadians!