Jambands.ca

SCI at Evolve

kung

There's a thread on jamhug about evolve rumours mainly revolving around whether 'heavy' bands should or not be invited. Someone made this comment in passing which seems really plausible to me:

yes it is confirmed that SCI will headline the festival each night, in addition to 1 afternoon set each day

Can you imagine the looks on their fucking faces, not to mention Jimmy Dorey's face. I mean that shit was cool with the Slip guys cause we're tight- somehow I imagine they would not be amused. They're probably working out security protocols as we speak.

Jimmy: 'Brah that would not be cool if that shit disturber got up on stage'

Jay Cleary: 'No kidding brah that guy is a dick'

Jimmy: 'I'm all about raising awareness but why can't it be all about Chiapas man. You know Chiapas right'

Jay: 'Who doesn't know Chiapas, these guys are just obsessed with their own potential to fuck up other peoples shit and they're taking away from the real issues, like wage slavery'

Jimmy: 'Brah that would not be cool if that shit disturber got up on stage'

Jay Cleary: 'No kidding brah that guy is a dick'

Jimmy: 'I'm all about raising awareness but why can't it be all about Chiapas man. You know Chiapas right'

Jay: 'Who doesn't know Chiapas, these guys are just obsessed with their own potential to fuck up other peoples shit and they're taking away from the real issues, like wage slavery'

Gold, pure gold!! hehehe

I typed "String Cheese Incident Sucks" into Yahoo and got this guy's Blog:

i am a stress-monkey today. i do not like to make calendars for people. i also don't like helping the hippies make copies of their String Cheese Incident passes. people are stupid and i don't like them. there is something very wrong with a culture that comes up with a band like the String Cheese Incident. the name alone...i mean, damn. couldn't you come up with anything stupider? maybe if the band was a theme band and all of their songs revolved around this very important "String Cheese Incident" and had some like build-up to this "Incident" and maybe....ummm. ok. right now i'm chanting my mantra. you can't know what it is.

One of my informants sent me this awhile back.

"String cheese continues to rock, not sure why people bash them here."

If you want to know why I do, it's:

(1) Their lyrics are shallow and obvious.

(2) They haven't written many songs that I've liked since Miss Brown's - that being an interesting change of pace at the time but since has become the way that too many of their songs have been written.

(3) Their stage antics are cringeworthy.

(4) They've replaced a bluegrass style of jamming that was unique in the jam world at the time and that they were really good at with a pseudo-groove one that everyone is doing and it's one where they're not all that spectacular.

(5) There's an undercurrent of pure evil in parts of their management that has come out a lot from people who have dealt with them, myself included.

(6) They put forth a sense to some (even if it's a false sense) that they were only in it for the money during the hiatus, changing their sound to the current popular one, booking much larger venues, and doubling their ticket prices from only a year or two earlier.

(7) They encourage the bad seeds on tour to go on tour with them (e.g. bringing ticketless people into shows for free) perhaps in an attempt to create a scene rather than have one evolve organically, which leads to a surprisingly large number of bad events for a tour of that size.

That'll be good to start.`

That's the end of the post. I went from musical reasons to non-musical reasons for a reason. I'll put up with a lot to see music that moves me. Once the music starts annoying me, things like 5, 6, and 7 become bigger deals.