Jambands.ca

Roll Call - Contact in Ottawa!!!

Ms.Huxtable

In all seriousness, my folks are coming up this weekend, so I will at all costs avoid getting destroyed (ala Punk) on Friday night.

I think our combined birthday present to you should an enjoyable evening, completely free of intoxicants: we, your friends, will do everything in our power (up to, including, and beyond, duct-taping* you to a chair) to make sure you injest nothing but wholesome substances all evening: no alcohol, no smokable products (of any kind), no caffeine, even. You'll drink spring water, orange juice, and soda water all night. We'll make sure you behave yourself, and arrive home ready to rest up and refreshed and beaming for your folks' arrival.

You'll thank us for it. Really.

Aloha,

Brad

* Said the taper...

where's mavericks & what's the size of that club?

The website for Mavericks is here. It's on the North side of Rideau, between Dalhousie & Cumberland. If you know where Cafe Dekcuf is, it's right below it, right across Rideau from Mexicali Rosa's.

My guess is that it'll hold 100 or so people; it's bigger than Dekcuf, smaller than Babylon.

Hope to see you there (I'll be the tall furry guy nervously hovering over a taping rig underneath the TV...).

Aloha,

Brad

RnB: Jomomma is seriously funky and seriously fun; click on the "Discography" link to listen to some samples from their "Mobile" album. (I have it, and it's really good; TungstenGruvsten did the recording/production work on it.)

Contact is more intense and more instrumental. They almost sound a little like The New Deal with guitars added and the rhythm opened up a little (more rocky, less techno). (After you enter their site, click on "Launch Audio Player" in the top-left corner for some samples, including live stuff.)

I don't know what the cover is, but I'd expect between $5 and $10. Contact is the opening band.

Aloha,

Brad

How was the show?

Man, it was intense. Contact floored me; they played for an hour, only stopped once, and kept up a dense wall of sound that, IMHO, put The New Deal to shame: 'way rockier, less bleep-bloop, more variation.

Jomomma then came out and proceeded to kick what little remained of our asses all over the place. They've gotten a lot heavier lately; dense, dark, intense funk, and some seriously fun teases (I'm sure I heard "Good Times, Bad Times" at the end of one song, and "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" in the middle of another).

I woke up Saturday and wondered why I was so sore: I think it must have been all the dancing I was doing; my muscles strained to contain the grooves that were whirling around inside me.

Aloha,

Brad