Jambands.ca

Rock Bands with 2 Keyboard players?

Rob Not Bob

I was watching The Last Waltz and thinking about how bands with 2 guitarists are fairly common, but how many bands have had 2 keyboard players at the same time? My criteria was that they have had to tour with 2 keyboard players, studio work or one off shows with guests don't count, and this would be in the realm of rock/soul/jazz/etc. ... electronic outfits consisting solely of 3 keyboard players don't count either (Depeche Mode etc.) here is what I have come up with so far, can anyone think of any others?

Grateful Dead (on 2 occasions, Europe 72 with Keith and Pig, early 90s with Vine and Bruce Hornsby)

For that matter, The Dead (Rob Barraco and Jeff Chimenti)

The Allman Brothers (mid 70s with Gregg Allman on organ and Chuck Leavell on piano, and early 90s with Gregg plus Johnny Neale on Piano)

The Band (Richard Manuel piano, Garth Hudson organ)

Procol Harum (Gary Brooker piano, Matt Fisher organ)

E Street Band (Danny Federici and Roy Bittan)

Miles Davis (toured in early 70s with Keith Jarrett on Organ and Chick Corea on electric piano)

Van Der Graaf Generator (singer Peter Hammill on piano and clavinet, Hugh Banton on Organ)

Yes (on the Union tour with both Rick Wakeman and Tony Kaye, as well as the Talk tour where guitarist Trevor Rabin often played second keyboard with tony Kaye)

Mothers of Invention (Ian Underwood and Don Preston)

King Crimson (during their 72-74 tours, there are many recorded instances of violinist David Cross and guitarist Robert Odenkirk, errr, I mean Fripp :) both playing keyboards at the same time)

I'm gonna have to go with how this thread started...The Band, between Garth and Richard it was magic. Richard playing honky tonk/classical piano and Garth coming up with this amazing improvsed harmony/orchestral synth, backing the greatest rock and roll band of all time is uncomparable. Richard just rumbles through the keys that have got so much soul it hurts and Garth hunched over it keyboards like he was crippled by the music, back to back, matching the 3 piece harmony it backed creating a sound that has been unmatched......

Eric Clapton's last three tours. Clapton was and is heavily influenced by the band.

During the 1998 PILGRIM WORLD TOUR the keyboardist were:

1. Tim Carmon, who has also played with Babyface (who obviously introduced Tim to Eric), Gladys Knight, Lalah Hathaway, Jon B., Shai and Wayman Tisdale.

2. Kenneth Crouch, who has played with his uncle Andrae Crouch, Herbie Hancock, Joe Zawinuland and Bill Evans.

During the REPTILE TOUR in 2001.

1. Billy Preston, who has played with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Steve Winwood and B.B. King just to name a few. He has also penned the the multi-platinum standard 'You Are So Beautiful' which was performed by friend Joe Cocker. He also wrote 'Will It Go Round In Circles' that has been performed by Trey Anastasio Band.

2. David Sancious, who was an original member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, giving the E Street Band two different combinations of two keyboardists. David has also been on stage with Santana, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Natalie Merchant and Yousou Ndour.

On Eric's present ME AND MR. JOHNSON Tour which makes stops at the AIR CANADA CENTRE on JULY 7 and HSBC ARENA on JULY 9.

1. Billy Preston again.

2. Chris Stainton, who is a fantastic blues keyboardist, which is fitting for the middle of this tours set. He peformed with Eric as a solo keyboardist during the 1994 'NOTHING BUT THE BLUES' tour.

Kraftwerk are vomit inducing? News to me. I don't love them, but I can appreciate some of their music.

One band that tours with two people on keyboards is Marillion. Their singer Steve Hogarth plays keys on some songs along with their full time keyboardist, Mark Kelly.

Brian Wilson tours with at least three people playing keyboards.

As I said, I am not counting electronic bands, but focusing on rock/etc. bands where 2 keyboardists are more of a rarity ... and for the record, I *like* both Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk.

I am kicking myself for not thinking of Marillion, since I have seen them live with Steve Hogarth and they are one of my favorite bands. Oh well ...

RnB

Pink Floyd had two keyboards on stage during their tours. Obviously Rick Wright, with Peter Woods during The Wall Tour, Jon Carin in the 1980's and '90's.

Also Roger Waters In The Flesh Tour in '99-00 had Jon Carin and Andy Wallace on keyboards.

Paul McCartney also performs with two keyboardist when he is peforming piano or keyboards with either his late wife Linda and or now presently with Paul "Wix" Wickens.

Also the piano men Elton John and Billy Joel often if not always have two keyboardist on stage. Elton John has had the likes of Fred Mandel on stage in the eighties. Billy Joel had David Rosenthal during his 1993-94 tour. Plus when Billy and Elton tour together they perform together at the end of every night.

Bruce Hornsby since leaving 'The Range' to go solo has had John "J.T." Thomas on organ and keyboards.

I was watching The Last Waltz...

I watched it last night too. It was on the aboriginal channel. Neil Diamond fucking rocks!

I was watching it on DVD ... didn't want to wait :) I wonder why it was on APTN? Because of Robbie Robertson?

While Diamond's performance was great, I gather he pissed off a lot of people back stage ... rather thought he was god's gift.

My favorite guest that show? Muddy Waters , with Dylan, Morrison and Emmylou (yes, her bit was done on a soundstage) close behind.

RnB

RnB

Pink Floyd had two keyboards on stage during their tours. Obviously Rick Wright, with Peter Woods during The Wall Tour, Jon Carin in the 1980's and '90's.

Argh, Pink Floyd, another band I've seen live I should have thought of.

Speaking of band's I've seen live, The Cure have had a number of lineups that have used 2 keyboards, including their most recent lineup with Roger O'Donnell and guitarist Perry Bamonte.

RnB

While Diamond's performance was great, I gather he pissed off a lot of people back stage ... rather thought he was god's gift.

Yeah, I kind of got that vibe from his performance. That's what makes it so great.

I was gonna watch the DVD of it last night, never got around to it then flipped on the TV before I went to bed and there it was!