Jambands.ca

Widespread Panic Announce Über Cobra

\/\/illy

WIDESPREAD PANIC ANNOUNCE

THE RELEASE OF ÜBER COBRA,

"UNPLUGGED" LIVE ALBUM

Widespread Panic will release an album of "unplugged" songs, recorded live last November just before the band began it's controversial year-long break from touring. Über Cobra, in stores July 13th (Widespread/Sanctuary Records) is also marked by the inclusion of several of the band's favorite cover songs, reflecting the depth of their influences, as well as their musical dexterity. "City of Dreams," by The Talking Heads, Neil Young's "Walk On," Blind Faith's classic "Can't Find My Way Home" (written by Steve Winwood), the more obscure "Geraldine And The Honeybee" by Willis Alan Ramsey and "Expiration Day," by longtime band friend Vic Chestnut all shine alongside Panic originals like "Mercy" and "Wondering." Über Cobra is the unplugged companion to Night of Joy, the live album released earlier this year that also featured the Dirty Dozen Brass Band.

Infamous for their legendary live performances and fiercely devoted followers, Widespread Panic's Über Cobra is a compilation of stripped down, acoustic-leaning songs taken from two concerts taped at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, SC on November 6 & 7, 2003. George McConnell leaves his electric guitar in its rack, and reveals his unassuming, emotional acoustic performances. "We realized early on in the tour that George is a great acoustic player," explained bassist Dave Schools. "He's terrific, so we started integrating acoustic sets into our shows any time we had more than one night at a venue." While the album does sneak in a few electricity-enhanced moments, it's the closest thing to a truly acoustic album than the band has done before.

Currently the band, featuring John Bell, John "Jojo" Hermann, Dave Schools, Todd Nance, Domingo "Sunny" Ortiz, and George McConnell, is on their first yearlong hiatus in over 18 years. One of the most successful touring bands in rock music, Panic shocked fans and the music industry by announcing a much-deserved break from live performances at the close of 2003. But despite their temporary retirement from the road, 2004 remains a busy year for the band. Über Cobra is the second live album of four planned releases. The next release out in Fall 2004 will be a live Halloween CD from their annual holiday show, with the final live CD of the series arriving at the beginning of next year. Widespread Panic planned these releases as a way to give their intensely loyal fans something to savor while awaiting the band's return to the stage in 2005.

Their extended vacation comes at the height of their career. 2003 marked a new level of success for Widespread Panic, as they continued to sell-out dates across the country, headlined the Bonnaroo Festival, sold out two nights at New York's Madison Square Garden, and set a record at Colorado's famed outdoor concert venue Red Rocks. Widespread Panic have sold more tickets at Red Rocks than any other band in history, with 21 sold-out shows to date.

I really have to give WSP some more listening,I haven't been able to get into them, but for some reason when I'm at someone elses house I seem to always dig what they are playing.

ps.Willy,

I still have that Delaney & Bonnie SHN disc for you.

g25942j9g3p.jpg

1. Thought Sausage 5:31

2. Thin Air 7:50

3. Use Me 8:27

4. Bayou Lena 6:41

5. Old Neighborhood 6:20

6. Bust It Big 9:05

7. Arleen Riley 10:22

8. I Wish Wonder 6:56

9. Rebirtha 17:15

g39487o8oly.jpg

1. Walk On 5:59

2. Wonderin' 4:34

3. Can't Get High 3:58

4. Party at Your Mama's House 6:01

5. Nobody's Loss 5:44

6. City of Dreams 6:23

7. Geraldine & The Honey Bee 3:43

8. Expiration Day 5:25

9. Mercy 5:42

10. Imitation Leather Shoes 4:36

11. Can't Find My Way Home 5:18

12. Papa Johnny Road 5:36

Esau really the best place to start is Space Wrangler the album. You'll have a hard time finding a better document of this band and you can sense what all the fuss has been about. That said I really haven't enjoyed an album of theirs since. The second album (self-titled) is on about the same par with less memorable songs but definitely worthwhile too (they came out in '88 and '91 respectively).

"Thought sausage fallen through your head

Bits and pieces hanging in the shed

Churnin' out links on the other side

Cut 'em up again and stir it in the sauce, stir it in the sauce

Mama's gumbo, silky fine

Papa's birthday, takin' up time

Tight little secret from my mama's side,

Use a little secret and stir it in the sauce, stir it in the sauce, stir it

Mama said "back out the kitchen 'til I'm good and ready

Stuff ain't ready yet!"

Esau really the best place to start is Space Wrangler the album. You'll have a hard time finding a better document of this band and you can sense what all the fuss has been about. That said I really haven't enjoyed an album of theirs since. The second album (self-titled) is on about the same par with less memorable songs but definitely worthwhile too (they came out in '88 and '91 respectively).

I'll give that a go then.Cheers.

Aside from hearing about how great the tour scene with this band is I really don't know alot of people (or they are tight lipped about them) that are really into this band.I don't know the names of many songs (if any) but I have heard some that really could get me moving.

If anyone at all is looking for some WSP schooling. I will open myself up to trades and B&P's. I have quite a few shows, not much representation from 03 mind you. My first Panic intro was in Vegas 95 for the Dead. There were kids in the lots willing to trade Dead tickets for Panic and that made me think. When we got back to the Hammer I went down to Cheapies and ordered in Space Wrangler and Ain't Life Grand. Jenn & I were hooked.

We didn't get to see our first show until 97 when they played the Opera House in Toronto. We immediately drove down to Florida the next week to catch 2 shows at the HOB, Orlando. From there we only got to see Buffalo in 98 and then decided to spend the Millenium NYE with them in Atlanta 99. We flew down and that's when we really got it. Schools dropped some nasty bombs in Philips that rocked my soul. We met Schools in the airport in Atlanta that year as well and he was a real gentleman.

2000 was good with the Red Rocks Run, NOLA Halloween and NYE again in Atlanta. Panic fans were all about Southern Hospitality. Kind friendly folk. I think what drew us to Panic, over the boys from Vermont, after Jerry dying was their lyrical content. Too much of what Phish sang about just seemed too silly to me. Panic songs were about you and me, working class heroes, with big respect to our other friends in the world; our pets.

Unfortunately I think Panic can get a bad rap for their live show mainly because of the sound. Panic can be a very deep dark beast with a very heavy bottom end. Throw in the horns that they like to guest with so often and the sound can get pretty muddy. It's a complex band which can often have a very complex sound. This doesn't oftem mix well in many arenas. Not to mention they went through a few differnet changes with their sound engineers in the alst few years. A lot of people would diss Houser as being a hack but Mikey was Panic. I know George has done well but I still miss the lingering lead. There's a big sound difference from George to Mikey. It's definitely not all Happy Hippy Trippy music. There's a huge mix of darkness and light not unlike my other favourite Jammers, the good ole GD.

Panic gave us a direction and changed our worlds. Hell it was our Honeymoon in 2000. I for one will be glad to see them come back.

I'll give that a go then.Cheers.

Aside from hearing about how great the tour scene with this band is I really don't know alot of people (or they are tight lipped about them) that are really into this band.I don't know the names of many songs (if any) but I have heard some that really could get me moving.

If you want to start live I'd go with the '96 Sit and Ski run in Colarado. Some GREAT sounding Panic.

I thought the album with Thought Sausage had a few good tunes... and as far as the Mikey vs. George thing, the MSG Nov. 1/03 show is one of the best ones I have on disc.

The reason you don't hear much about them Esau, they are a south of the Mason Dixon Band. The first run I did went like this in 97:

Electric Factory (4000ish capacity) ->

Bristow Va Amph (18,000ish) ->

Le Club Soda in Montreal, the old one too (250ish)

Opera House T.O.

So in a week I saw them with 250 - 18,000 people. It was crazy, but its totally the north/south thing. They just never broke out up north.

Opera House T.O.

I think I was at that show... all I remember is that the sound was so bad that I couldn't tell if I liked them or not. Oh, and that they played a Guess Who song (maybe "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature"? I can't remember). So, I still have no real opinion on what I think of them, but it (and a few other bad-sounding shows that year) did cause me to really dislke the Opera House for a few years. Granted, it sounds much better now, and I quite like gigs there these days.

hamilton: yeah they did play no sugar.

09/10/97 Opera House, Toronto, ON

1: Papa Legba, Wondering, Henry Parsons Died, Sleepy Monkey > Big Wooly Mammoth > You Got Yours, Aunt Avis > Jack, Fishwater

2: Junior > Blackout Blues, Tie Your Shoes > C. Brown, Diner > No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature > Drums > Stop-Go > Radio Child

E: Ain't Life Grand

Irie: i was at that buffalo 98 show...me and 130 other people...i got to meet sunny that night we were at the rail all night...even if one of us had to go to the bathroom, you could come back in and get your spot...