Jambands.ca

Scottie King is a bum!!

hamilton

Sounds like you've been into the the so-ju, buddy! Why don't you go see if there's a hooker (or G.I) that'll love you long time in Itawon. Believe it or not, I miss the the land of kim-chi sometimes. Pretty much only when I'm craving the bulgogi.

Hamilton, I hope you're having a good time. You better be, cause you're missing out on a sweet LTO at Central. Talk to you soon.

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

if its my understanding, you only need a highschool to go over there and teach?

Two kids out of my grade 12 class went over there to teach right out of highschool, and have been there ever since (5+ years).

Hows the money?

It depends what kind of teaching you want to do, Steve-o. Some places will accept you with a high-school diploma, others (like the institute I'm currently at) will only accept you if you have a university degree. I teach adults conversational English. Other people teach children, or they work in hog-wans, which are like tutoring houses - every high-school student goes to one for several hours each night to study.

The money is pretty sweet, although the exchange rate has tumbled a bit since I've been here - I used to get about $1.30 for KW1,000; last month it was as low as $1.12, and this month it's up to about $1.18. What does this mean, though, you ask? Well, my base salary is KW2,000,000 per month, plus they pay for KW400,000 of my rent (which is KW600,000/month). For this, I must teach four classes a day. I get an extra KW18,500 per hour for every hour over four per day, and I teach eight classes a day, so that's another KW1,500,000 each month. I also make about KW1,000,000 each month in private lessons (about 10 hours per week), which is technically illegal, but everyone is doing it. I'm rapidly paying off my debts back home - this month alone, I've sent over $3,000.

I also get a one month bonus for completing my contract, and they pay for my airfare both ways.

Too many numbers make me dizzy. The end result is that I should be financially out of the hole and up a few grand at the end of the year.

At this point, I'm seriously considering a second year. If I can save about $30,000 in one year, that's some pretty serious cash.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Now sober,

Brian.

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

Sounds like you've been into the the so-ju, buddy! Why don't you go see if there's a hooker (or G.I) that'll love you long time in Itawon. Believe it or not, I miss the the land of kim-chi sometimes. Pretty much only when I'm craving the bulgogi.

Hamilton, I hope you're having a good time. You better be, cause you're missing out on a sweet LTO at Central. Talk to you soon.

Things are great, dude. Work is lucrative and stress-free, girls are hot, the food is nice, and alcohol is plentiful, even if other party favours are not. Now I just need Phish to announce a Japanese tour, and I'll be set - Tokyo is only an hour flight away, y'know!

Say hello to everyone at Central for me...

Brian.

Archived