Jambands.ca

Don Ross: Anyone heard of?

\/\/illy

donsepia.jpg

Apparently he's playing at the Hamilton Place Studio Theatre on October 30th.

From his web site:

One of today's true innovators of guitar composition and technique,

Don Ross has emerged as one of the most respected musicians in Canada and one of the top guitarists in the world. In September 1996, he managed to do what no other player has done: win the prestigious U.S. National Fingerstyle Guitar Championship for the second time (he first won in 1988). The competition, held yearly in Winfield, Kansas, cannot be won only with immaculate technique, but the player's music must also display a high degree of emotion and intensity — hallmarks of Don's style.

The son of a Scottish immigrant father and a Mi'kmaq aboriginal mother, Don was born in Montreal in 1960 into a musical family. He first started experimenting with the solo possibilities of the acoustic guitar at the age of eight. By age ten he was playing in alternate tunings and exploring "fingerstyle" technique, a right hand discipline similar to classical guitar playing. Preferring to write original music and develop a personal style, Don's self-taught journey on the instrument has encouraged him to follow his musical intuition. The result is an unclassifiable musical style that borrows from jazz, folk, rock and classical music. When asked, Don usually pigeonholes his music as "Heavy Wood"!

Go. See. Him.

IMO, he's one of the best guitarists out there, whether you restrict yourself to "fingerstyle acoustic" or not. I'd pay money just to watch/hear him change tunings (which he does between most songs) on his various guitars (including a baritone, and a 7-string acoustic).

Aloha,

Brad

Another good one to get is "Loaded Leather Moonroof". It features more tunes with a full band, a haunting cover of "Can't Find My Way Home", and the beautiful heart-wrenching song, "Sweet Sister" (as well as the instrumental "Jesse Helms' Night In Havana").

Aloha,

Brad

Hi by the way. I miss you!

Awwwww... :o I miss you too girl! When you coming back to Chez Russell to have yourself another nice retreat?

Thanks for all the responses: Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be catching this show because I believe that's the night that Halloween is being celebrated and I've already got a half-dozen scheduling conflicts. Boo!