Jambands.ca

Hey, Teachers!!!

SolarGarlic

I was kicked out of teachers college and failed my practicum at UBC...so from experience...my advice is kiss enuff ass that you deem necessary so that your advisors at the school and the U feel comfortable with your conformity level...be hesitant to innovate during your practicum....some teachers are insecure and you're creativity might threaten there jaded apathetic approach ... I think it's very importantto be consistent with kids and do not play favourites... ( i use to work with Young Offenders as well which is a great training ground for dealing with behavioural problems)also...do not chew kids out in front of the class always take them aside ... always be respectful...

some of these kids may actually be smarter than you ...don't worry about that...just give them what you got...each generation gets a little smarter... Iicuold go on but I won't ...I'm already grossed out by how authoritative I'm sounding

... have fun...life is a fun factory!...

I still teach ...just not under the auspices of the public ed system...Good luck man...Jim

Tonin would be the BEST teacher/associate teacher EVER for sure......I've many a time thought about going back to high school in Kitchener just for that reason!!

I was kicked out of teachers college

THey treatened to kick me out cause I stopped going to classes. Told me if I didn't start going again I'd get the boot.........they never pulled through on their threat.....but maybe that's cause I was never there for them to approach me about it again (obviously I did continue to hand in all my assignments and taught during my practicum) :D

THere's some advice right there......as a teacher follow through on anything (consequences/rewards etc.) you tell your students you're going to do! Otherwise they'll never respect or listen to you.

PS - I love you too idiot of sh!t

Thought I'd throw my pennies in.

As a "practice" teacher you need to remember only a couple of things.

-Keep your eyes open. If you do you'll learn more the first day then you will all year at teacher's college.

-Listen politely and be agreeable with your associate. This will keep your time under the guidance of someone who is used to guiding children tolerable.

-Ignore the words your associate says to you or writes about you. Try to instead hear the message. Teachers tend to only speak in words they themself understand.

-Don't worry about whether or not your associate likes you. Teachers are weird. Relax. You'd have to do something horrible, very horrible to fail. Try and suck up as much info as possible.

-LASTLY start a band. It couldn't hurt. And I love new music.

Enjoy,

Jef

Meggo and Babsy ... thanks for the extremely kind words ... it would have been awesome to have either of you as a student teacher, and even better to have you as teaching colleagues!!! I don't think that my style or approach is suited to everyone, but I have a feeling that we would have connected! :: ;) ::

SolarGarlic ... good luck with it ... glad to read that you and your associate seem compatible.

Both slammer and bald guy raise valid points ... most teachers by nature tend to be into structure and conformity ... and let's face it, the public education system (in Ontario) is set up that way and has moved even further that way over the last 10 years, so "not rocking the boat too much" is good advice ... at least until you get a permanent contract!

Time to lesson plan ...

Peace, Mark