Jambands.ca

Neil Young shows up at two different VFC shows!

TimmyB

Neil Young was a surprise guest for two different Vote For Change shows this weekend. First with Pearl Jam in Toledo on October 2, 2004. Then with Dave Matthews Band in Auburn Hills on October 3, 2004. I can't believe it! I attempted to get tickets for the Dave Matthews Band show for this Vote For Change show at The Palace but was unable to get tickets as I'm a Canadian! Damn!

Heres the sets for Pearl Jam with Neil Young on October 2, 2004.

soundcheck (Pearl Jam & Neil Young)

Act of Love

All Along the Watchtower

Cortez the Killer

Rockin' in the Free World

Eddy Vedder preset

I am a Patriot

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Pearl Jam set

Long Road

Corduroy

Hail Hail

Save You

The American in Me (The Avengers)

Cropduster

I am Mine

Wishlist

Better Man

I Believe in Miracles

Even Flow

Bleed for Me (The Dead Kennedys)

Alive

first encore (acoustic)

Thumbing My Way

Elderly Woman

Black

Harvest Moon (Neil Young, Pegi Young & Eddy Vedder)

second encore (Pearl Jam & Neil Young)

All Along the Watchtower

Act of Love

Cortez the Killer

Rockin' in the Free World

Dave Matthews Band with Neil Young on October 3, 2004.

One Sweet World

Granny

Don't Burn The Pig

Joy Ride

Song That Jane Likes

(Extended Intro)

Don't Drink the Water

Tripping Billies

Hello Again

Stay

Sugar Will

All Along The Watchtower (with Neil Young)

Cortez The Killer (with Neil Young)

Rockin in the Free World (with Neil & Pegi Young)

Encore

What Would You Say

Too Much

I attempted to get tickets for the Dave Matthews Band show for this Vote For Change show at The Palace but was unable to get tickets as I'm a Canadian! Damn!

You mean they wouldn't let a Canadian buy a ticket, but they would allow one to perform? Thats kinda crazy. Must be another government conspiracy of some sort.

Not really, I believe the Democrats are helping put these Vote for Change concerts on and it is to help Americans get out and vote for Kerry. Apparantly it is illegal for foreigners to contribute to an American campaign. You have to go through SIN checks just to eligible to get tickets so I've heard

I just wanted to say that I was lucky enough to get some great seats to the show last night, and was treated to a fantastic time. Although I am by far a bigger Ben Harper fan, than Dave Matthews, I must say that now that I have seen Dave twice this year, the intensity of his shows far outway anything done in the studio. Although serious jamming is not his strong point, his powerful vocals and positive message put many smiles my way last night. Ben, of course, was brilliant, as always...even got to burn one down at the key time.. ;)My Morning Jacket, thumbs up!! Jurassic 5...not really my cup of tea, but the appearance of Neil was by far the highlight. He is as good now as he ever was, kicks ass as good, or better than performers half his age and remains a key element to todays scene...a true living legend!! You go Neil!!!!

Oh ya, in reply to the Democrat connection..apparently not so. It is being bankrolled, to the best of my knowledge by George Soros, billionaire charity man. But he has been accused of several self-serving finacial deals in the past in Eastern Europe, so probably there is some connection, we're just not privy to the knowledge.

My bad, I found out that Neil performed three different VFC shows in two days. Young also performed with James Taylor and The Dixie Chicks on "Harvest Moon" and "Heart Of Gold." The later song coincidently had Taylor's vocals on the orginial "Harvest" recordings, cool.

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Barry A. Jeckell. October 04, 2004, 4:35 PM ET

Young Jams For Votes, Readies 'Greatest Hits'

Although not an announced part of the lineup, Neil Young spent the weekend making appearances at Vote for Change tour stops in Toledo, Ohio, and Detroit. Sources suggest the veteran Canadian singer/songwriter may turn up to play with every VFC bill before the trek wraps Oct. 11 in Washington, D.C.

Young dropped in on Pearl Jam's Saturday evening show in Toledo, stunning the crowd at the start of the second encore when he and his wife Pegi guested with Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder on an acoustic version of "Harvest Moon." Young stuck around to rock through "All Along the Watchtower," "Cortez the Killer," "Rockin' in the Free World" and, with Peter Frampton chipping in on guitar, "Act of Love," which appeared on the 1995 Young/Pearl Jam album "Mirror Ball."

The next evening, Young was even busier, reprising "Harvest Moon" and "Heart of Gold" with the Dixie Chicks and James Taylor at Detroit's Fox Theatre. Later on, he teamed with Dave Matthews Band just outside the city at the Palace of Auburn Hills for "Watchtower" and "Rockin' in the Free World."

Meanwhile, Reprise has set a Nov. 16 release date for Young's first "Greatest Hits." The 16-track set boasts such classics as "The Needle and the Damage Done," "Southern Man," Young's sole No. 1 hit, "Comes a Time" and "Cinnamon Girl," along with the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young cuts "Ohio" and "Helpless."

"Greatest Hits" will also be available with a bonus DVD featuring the original stereo master mixes of the music. When each song is played, the DVD will display the vinyl cover of the album from which it is drawn spinning on turntable. Bonus features include a photo gallery, lyrics and music videos for "Harvest Moon" and "Rockin' in the Free World."

As previously reported, Young will host and perform at his annual Bridge School Benefit on Oct. 23-24 outside San Francisco. Paul McCartney, Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tony Bennett are also on the bill.

Here is the track list for "Greatest Hits":

"Down by the River"

"Cowgirl in the Sand"

"Cinnamon Girl"

"Helpless"

"After the Gold Rush"

"Only Love Can Break Your Heart"

"Southern Man"

"Ohio"

"The Needle and the Damage Done"

"Old Man"

"Heart of Gold"

"Like a Hurricane"

"Comes a Time"

"Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black)"

"Rockin' in the Free World"

"Harvest Moon"

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

fu©king WEAK SAUCE!!!!

What is that? Decade, with four new songs? I hope Neil had NOTHING to do with that...cause if he did, thats a huge fu©king cash grab. (sh!t like this makes me pissed)

Add a few songs to Decade (but take a bunch of killer songs off, and you have this 'greatest hits')

"Only Love Can Break Your Heart"

"Comes a Time"

"Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black)"

"Rockin' in the Free World"

"Harvest Moon"

Now, where's Old Laughin Lady or Man Needs a Maid....

Bah, i guess another cash grab, probably from a record company...Hopefully not Neil. Cause this 'greatest hits' is Weak Sauce!

Buying the "greatest hits" of a mammoth artist like Neil Young or Bob Dylan is weak sauce anyhow. Everybody knows their most popular songs don't speak to the genius within - you have to dig deeper!

Here's a recent interview with The Boss regarding VTC - very interesting, I have a lot of respect for him. And here's some general quotes from various artists on all this, gotta love Bobby "Ace" weir's take on things! ::

Generally, "Greatest Hits" albums actually have the artists' greatest hits, not their coolest songs, so no "Old Laughing Lady" or "A Man Needs A Maid". Decade might be a lot more than the casual fan needs or wants. Why does this piss you off? As an avid Neil Young fan who has all the albums, why would you buy a greatest hits album anyway? It's not intended for major fans, just for casual fans who like the Neil Young that they hear on the radio.

it pisses me off cause its an obvious cash grab.

i hope it was a move by the record company(ies), not Neil himself.

After Greendale, a greatest hits release is somewhat insulting...

Maybe cause i think Greendale was the best thing he's released in two decades.

Either way, i just figured Neil already had a greatest Hits collection, called Decade, Picked by Neil himself, containing not only his most popular stuff, but also his best stuff. (probably cause it was picked by Neil)

I agree Steve, which is why I've been a little puzzled by his latest solo sets, which are basically "greatest hits" sets. Big deal. I mean, don't get me wrong, if I could see Neil solo acoustic, he could just read listings from the yellow pages for 2 hours and I'd love it, but it bugs me that a man with such a deep catalogue would fall back on the tried and true so easily.

Greendale was awesome largely because it flew in the face of such a performance.

In any event, what about that freaking box set he's been working on for literally 20 years?!? I WANT IT!!!

I posted on here not too long ago that I found out on www.hyperrust.org that Neil Young has fulfilled his contract on Reprise/Warner, and has now signed onto Sanctuary Records. Based on this I would assume that Reprise who obviously own his back cataloge is releasing this 'Greatest Hits' without Neil Young being very much involved.

Here's the post again from www.hyprrust.org

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:00:00 GMT Evening Coconut

Reporter: David Lybrand

Topic: Neil on Sanctuary

The Sanctuary Group is a collector of bands and artists that are no longer considered to be 'profitable" by the majors. They've signed lots of old timers to give them another shot. And they seem to be doing pretty well with it.

http://www.sanctuarygroup.com/index.php?l1=4&getArticleId=574

With Time-Warner (ie, Warner Brothers, Reprise, Atlantic, etc) tossing out all but their most profitable artists, it's not a surprise that Neil would end up there. Interesting that he's now on the same label as Lynyrd Skynyrd...

They even picked up Neil's "vanity label" (Vapor): http://www.sanctuarygroup.com/index.php?l1=4&getArticleId=665

You're right Swan and look at the set, wow!

October 5/ St. Paul, MN/ Xcel Energy Center

Notes: Nothing ragged about this one--just full-on guitar glory as Neil Young came out and cranked up the energy for the best VFC show yet. "Any Canadians for Kerry in the house? I thought I saw one here earlier..." said Bruce. And yeah, Young had been out earlier for "Country Feedback" with REM, but that didn't diminish the "holy sh!t" factor as Neil faced off with Bruce for monster jam on "Souls of the Departed" and a fierce "All Along the Watchtower." Even Clarence got swept away. Blow, Big Man, blow! Wail, Shakey, wail! And the wind began to howl... Neil was back in the encores trading off vocals with Bruce on "Rockin' in the Free World" along with Fogerty, all of REM, and Neil's wife Pegi. Fogerty got a huge cheer when he announced "I got a final score for you: Minnesota Twins 2, Yankees nothin'!" Yeah, everything seemed to go the Twin Cities' way tonight. At the end of the show, Bruce presented Conor Oberst with a commemorative jacket to mark the end of his run with the tour. Bright Eyes, we'll miss you in Orlando--that's the next stop, Friday night.

Setlist: Bad Day (with REM)/Man on the Moon (with REM)//The Star-Spangled Banner/Born in the U.S.A./Badlands/No Surrender/Lonesome Day/The River/Souls of the Departed (with Neil Young)/All Along the Watchtower (with Young)/Johnny 99/Centerfield (with Fogerty)/Deja Vu All Over Again (with Fogerty)/Fortunate Son (with Fogerty)/The Promised Land (with Fogerty)/The Rising/Because the Night (with Stipe)/Mary's Place/Born to Run (with Mills and Buck)//Proud Mary (with Fogerty)/Rockin' in the Free World (with REM, Fogerty, Neil and Pegi Young)/(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding (with all)/People Have the Power (with all)

It's up to six Vote For Change Shows that Neil Young has been apart of (so far).

Oct 2

Vote For Change

with Pearl Jam Toledo Sports Arena

Toledo, Ohio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 3

Vote For Change

with The Dixie Chicks & James Taylor

Fox Theatre

Detroit, Michigan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oct 3

Vote For Change

with DMB

The Palace

Auburn Hills, Michigan

Oct 5

Vote For Change

with Bruce Springsteen & REM

Xcel Energy Center

St. Paul, Minnesota

Oct 6

Vote For Change

with DMB

Hilton Coliseum

Ames, Iowa

Here's the setlist for the last show (So Far) with Neil Young.

DMB set

One Sweet World

Grey Street

Granny

Joy Ride

Hello Again

Don’t Burn The Pig

Jimi Thing

Warehouse

Cry Freedom

All Along The Watchtower (with Neil Young)

Cortez The Killer (with Neil Young)

Rockin in the Free World (with Neil Young & Pegi Young)

Encores

Crush

Too Much

hey tim, i just got my hands on some of the early material contained in the archives collection.

Recorded at Elektra Studios, New York City, in September 1965

Sugar mountain

Nowadays Clancy can't even sing

Run around babe

Don't pity my baby

I ain't got blues (false start 1)

I ain't got blues (false start 2)

I ain't got blues (false start 3)

I ain't got blues (final take)

The rent is always due

When it falls, It falls over you

Ultra crystal clear studio sound...Its the earliest recording I have of Neil, and its fantastic sound quality.