Jambands.ca

Charlie Hunter Coming up on Oct. 30

Marky

Us over here in Van. were lucky enough to have Charlie come through our little town last month. 3 piece with sax and drums...at our lovely Richards on Richards club (650 cap, awesome sound and sight lines, great staff!). WOW!!!

It was one of the most awe-inspiring, jaw dropping performances I've ever seen....I'm sure you all know his schtick....plays bass and melody at the same time on his hybrid instument....it's one thing to know that, and completely another thing to SEE it up close. I've seen him a number of times in busier settings and larger venues in different states of mind....up close and personal (mildly puffed down) is the way to go...

He's a weird cat too....hates hippies....and hates noodle dancers to the point of putting in his rider that tables must be set up in front of the stage (like a jazz club) so he doesn't have to deal with the distraction of flailing dreads and wafting patchoulli. Can you blame him?

He's a weird cat too....hates hippies....and hates noodle dancers to the point of putting in his rider that tables must be set up in front of the stage (like a jazz club) so he doesn't have to deal with the distraction of flailing dreads and wafting patchoulli.

that's interesting

i saw Charlie Hunter at Richard's on Richard's in May of 2000 (among other shows) and have never witnessed that!

his FOH sound guy was very cool:)

me and moose were the ONLY 2 kickin-er-down at the Victoria show the night previous, so he put us on the guest list for Vancouver

also saw Charlie w/ Mike Clarke's RX Renewal and there were plenty folk dancin

Richards in 2000 was indeed a boogiefest...(and my first Charlie experience)...the guy does promote rug cutting, no doubt...(case in point, Garage a Trois)...so is Mike Clark's RX, depending on who's playing (I saw MC w/ Charlie, Robert Walter's, Fred Wesley, Skerik, Karl D, Jessica....twas a mad boogiefest. but he also gets a little avant garde at times...kinda like one of *those* MMW shows...)

I'm sure he was very nice to you back then and always honors his fan base, which is both Blue Note Jazz afficianado's and jam-music afficianado's....I guess I embellished a little hard there (did I just 'dish the dirt there??? ooops, my apologies, cuz I really don't know nothing bout him personally.) to get the point across that there were tables set up in front of the stage this time around at his request to create a buffer zone of sorts, which pissed me off cuz, well hey, that's where I stand (and twist/contort, etc) But it really worked out well and wound up growing on us noodlers cuz it did give it a jazz club type feel...