Jambands.ca

New William Shatner CD

hamilton

No kidding... I was driving home from work tonight, flipping around the dial, and I came across a track from the new disc from Captain Kirk himself, a cover of Pulp's "Common People". Apparently, Billy Boy collaborates with Henry Rollins and Ben Folds (amongst others) on this new disc.

The song was perfectly awful, in a somewhat confusingly endearing way.

When I went to see Henry Rollins last year he was telling the story of how that cd came about. Apparently he was hanging out at home (probably reading) and got a call from Ben Folds saying, "I'm here with William Shatner and we're making songs... wanna come over?" To which Henry replies, "fu©k yeah!"

It's kinda neat to see the album out now... the story is much more indepth, and totally hilarious. I wouldn't mind hearing the album, just for a laugh.

Yeah, I quite enjoy it.

I've been a fan of Ben Folds for years, and they worked together previously on Ben Folds first solo effort -- Fear of Pop, volume 1 (which is... by all account different). Shatner doesn't try to sing -- every part with him is spoken word. It's something.

Has Been is something I'm glad I have, though not something I'd put in my five disc rotation as a standard of fantastic-o music.