Jambands.ca

Zyban - a testimonial

Velvet

So, I'm approaching week #3 of not smoking, and I'm ecstatic. For those that have known me in my quitting smoking phases, you'll know that when I quit it is all-consuming and takes 100% of my energy all day long to stay quit. Not so with Zyban. From day one the cravings were just little tiny twitches of desire that would last mere seconds, and most importantly, they were rare. I keep forgetting that I quit.

I survived The Slip run, smoky poker games, long solo drives, and breaks at work, and not an inch of tobacco for this guy. Saturday night afterparty was the closest I've come to smoking yet. I was very drunk, and the guy beside me was smoking and I almost asked for a drag. I'm very glad I didn't.

Anyway, if you've thought of quitting, I highly recommend you see a doctor about trying Zyban. It's rockin' my world.

Oh, and the main side effect is that it makes you happy. Bonus, I say.

Just remember that zyban is an antidepressant, that may have some unwelcomed side effects. It's good to hear that you aren't experiencing these Velvet. I've used Zyban two times to try to quit smoking, both times it was helping, with a year in between the two attempts, both times cutting the program short because of the side effects. What I experienced was a lot, and I mean a lot of sleepless nights. A good night was getting 1 to 2 hours sleep. I was never concious of tired I was getting, but I definetly was on the verge of exhaustion after the first month. I don't know if it was the lack of sleep, or the way the drugs affected my brain, or a combination of both, but it got to a point where I had no control what so ever my emotions. I'd venture to say that for a short time while I was on Zyban that I could have been classified as manic depressive. Huge mood swings at the drop of a hat, and it would take absolutly nothing to make me actually just break down and cry. It happened both times I've taken the stuff, so my personal opinion is that Zyban is bad mojo. I don't think anybody wants to curl up in a ball and start crying because a character in a movie you are watching just got killed. It's not a very pleasant feeling.

Last night I had my first 'bad' dream on Zyban. A guy I was hanging out with got shot in the chest. He gave me his car keys and asked me to get outta there. I went to a gas station, told 'em to call 911 and went back to the hotel, acting like nothing happened. I didn't know the guy that well so I didn't feel too bad. (I'm a cold, cold bastard) Woke up thinking it was real for a while.

Not a nightmare by any stretch but not as fun as pinball (my usual recurring dream is me playing pinball), so I guess it was a 'bad' dream.

I'm off to the pharmacy for more Zyban right now.

Howler, you're back on?

I'll have to go with Velvet on this one. Although I have heard lots of people with stories of not being able to sleep and upset stomachs, the only effect on me was that I didn't want to smoke. Since I first bought it over 3 years ago, I was never focused enough to take it for the full 2 months that they recommend, so I had lots of relapses, but even taking one a day for the first couple weeks of quitting made a huge difference for me in taking away the cravings. Look ma, no smokes! I'm all clear and confident now.

....yup on the Zyban....yesterday was my quit date...made it through a crazy waitressing shift without smoking....pretty incredible. Though it's not like I just don't want to smoke...it's more that I am a little outside myself and able to be logical and able to reason my way through the cravings....I am also a bit spaced out....and sweaty.

Though after my lunch break I had to do alot of deep breathing and all I wanted was to stick my head in a bucket of sand.

I do have a sore belly and the weird ideation of suicide has happened but I was able to stop that.

I was scouring the net for info on Zyban and a few interesting things...Zyban is the brand name for the drug bupropion hydrochloride. So bupropion is then Brandnamed Zyban for the cessation of smoking and also brand named welliburtin and welliburtin (sl-something). When it's called welliburton(spell?) it's marketed for depression.....same drug though....I think welliburton is also marketed for ADHD...which if a proffessional ever said I had I wouldn't argue much about it....and could explain my sudden ability to stay focused through my cravings.

Now most of the side effects listed for the two brand names were pretty much the same but I did find sites that listed a host of other side effects for welliburton.....ideation of suicide being one of them, severe weight loss another.....anyways clever little marketeers.

Still I am amazed that I am doing it so far..even though its only day 2,..with no niccoteen replacement...without turning into the worlds biggest crack-bitch monster...this must seem baffling to a non-smoker.I hope I make it for about 100 reasons....one day at a time,one day at a time baby.