Jambands.ca

Neil Young Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It?

Esau

I haven't seen anyone talking about this,although I could have missed it also,but I just grabbed Neil's first night of the bridge school benefit 18,awesome show and Neil performed for the first time live in concert "Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It" from the Buffalo Springfield era.

Awesome song in my opinion.

Neil Young

2004/10/23

Shoreline Amphitheatre

Mountain View, CA

Bridge School Benefit 18

opening set:

01. Sugar Mountain

02. Do I Have To Come Right Out And Say It?

03. Field Of Opportunity *

solo set:

04. Pocahontas

05. Harvest Moon *+

06. Journey Through The Past

07. On The Way Home

08. Human Highway *

09. Old King *

10. Comes A Time *

11. Four Strong Winds *

guest appearances:

12. Only Love Can Break Your Heart ^

13. Hey Jude ^#

*) with Pegi Young

+) with Eddie Vedder

^) with Paul McCartney and band

#) big finale with all performers

I thought this was pretty dam cool, to get a first ever played that wasn't a new song?? I don't think too many bands or musicians at Neil's level pull out first ever live of old songs.

Has anyone else grabbed this yet?

I was at these shows. I remember Neil talking about practicing this song in the van on the way to the venue. It rained this night and I was on the lawn. It didn't bring anyones spirits down at all. Personally I thought the Red Hot Chilli Peppers were the highlight this night. They played the Looking Glass song Brandy (You're a Fine Girl), it was wonderful! Some of Flea's banter was some pretty funny stuff. Other highlights included Paul McCartney slow dancing with Tony Bennett. These benefits are some of the best shows going. It's cool to see some of the bands play acoustic sets. Who knew that you would see bands like Sonic Youth play an entire acoustic set. I will say that in the Toronto area we are lucky enough to have the Molson Amplitheatre. The Shoreline is a little bigger but I don't think as nice. It was cool that you could buy yards glasses of Marguritas and shots of Cabo Wabo but still not as nice of venue. Not even all of the 200 section was covered with by the tent. On the other hand I went to one of the coolest venues ever when I went to see the Drive By Truckers in the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco a couple of nights before. Anyways long story short Neil is the man and I've longed to hear this recording.

Swan: i completely agree! i've only been to shoreline once...great venue, but it really make you appriciate the things you may take for granted at home...i don't thin alot of people appriciate how great the molson amphitheatre really is...in all my years of touring I've yet to stumble, and I mean stumble :) across an outdoor venue as nice as we have here right in toronto...with that view thru the window from the lawn of the cn tower...soooo many summer nights spent fu©ked outta my gourd spent listening to GREAT tunes looking at that skyline!!

Esau: WOW that loooks awesome, where might i get my sticky little paws on something that tasty? care to enlighten me.....

I agree with the Shoreline vs Molson Ampitheater,although I haven't been there (Shoreline) since fall tour '88.But,nicest venue I have ever been to was Town Park in Telluride CO.Thanks for the input on the shows Swan,I would have loved to see Neil live at these shows.

fluffhead77,

Both nights of Neil at the BSB 18 can be downloaded here via bit torrent.

http://www.rustradio.org

Esau, I made a post about these shows the day after they happened. If I was there it would have been a couple of days, but unfortunately I wasn't.

As for the Molson Amphitheatre vs. the Shoreline, I don't know. Yes the Molson Amphitheatre has a lot of seats covered compared to the Shoreline, but the Molson Amphitheatre has historically had a lot of problems with sound as well.

I've been to the Shoreline six times and have never had a problem with the sound. Yes you get wet if it rains as one of the times it was raining, but it's California and it felt like a warm shower even in October.

I couldn't count off the top of my head how many times I've been to the Molson Amphitheatre and appreciated the roof covering us from the cold Canadian rain, but I only wish the sound was generally better.

Moslon Amp has weird sound. For the first Phish show, for the BB King show, and a few others, there were major problems.

yet when Roger Waters came to Molson Ampitheatre some time in early 2000, he created the best sound i've ever heard at any venue. (next to Red Rocks....it has the best sound on the planet i think, lol...)

Sound various wildly from the levels and sections at the Amphitheatre. I've found that the best sound is in Level 400. The 200 and 100 levels often have muddy sound and inconsistent mixes.

The downer about this scenario is that if you pay more to be in the seats, you have to sit outside the cover of the roof to have a good mix.

I'll flip this scenario and say that recently the times I've been in the 100 Section the sound was great and the people I knew on in the 400's and the lawns barely could hear what was being performed on stage.