Jambands.ca

CD-mp3?

rubberdinghy

Do you know what software/hardware you already have? I have a Creative Soundblaster Audigy soundcard, and it came with software to take care of ripping an audio CD to WAV files, and converting the WAV files to MP3 files.

Alternately, EAC is a good program for extractin WAV files from an audio CD. I'm not familiar with any stand-alone WAV->MP3 converters, though.

Aloha,

Brad

EAC is an extraction tool. It converts the tracks on the CD into .WAV files. Then you need to convert them into .MP3s. To do that you'll want to use the LAME encoder. (It's free too.) It's the best and it will integrate with EAC so that you can simply hit one button and EAC will extract the audio (.WAV) and execute LAME to perform the enciding to .MP3.

Does that all make sense?

Oh, well you put in the CD. If you're connected to the internet it will download all the track names for you. Then you simply click the import button at the top right of the screen and iTunes will rip the CD into your library. This assumes that you've set up your library folder and importing settings in the Tools | Options or Preferences menu, but once that's done it's one click for each CD. The help file should explain this pretty well. Click here to find out how to do this..

AD

I use EAC for extraction but I found this one to be the easiest by far to use once you add the required codecs.

I still use MKW & FLAC Frontend myself,but have found for new users that this one is really easy to figure out and it covers ALL formats.

WAV

FLAC

SHN

MP3

MP4

OGG

etc

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Cool feature for people who like mp3 or mp4 (tighter compression) is you can convert SHN or FLAC directly to mp3 or mp4 without coverting to WAV first,not sure if the other decoders mention do that or not,but its a cool feature anyway.Very easy to use once set up.

edit to add:

I guess the others do convert to mp3 from data also,I should have read the entire thread first...d'oh.