Jambands.ca

To the mods...

PhishyK

As Friendly alluded to, mods and beatniks are different groups.

Beatniks, of course, were essentially American and existed in the 1950's; aka the Beat Generation (Jack Kerouac, etc.) They were into poetry and jazz and eventually gave rise to the hippy scene later on.

As Friendly suggested, Quadrophenia is a Who movie about the mods, who were chiefly British, working-class kids in the '60s who listened to mod music, wore military parkas, Fred Perry t-shirts, a target symbol on their shirts and jackets, and rode motor scooters (usually Vespas and Lambrettas).

(Personally, I've never considered The Who a mod band, but they made a good movie about the mods, well worth seeing, and managed to get into that scene a little bit that way.)

(Personally, I've never considered The Who a mod band, but they made a good movie about the mods, well worth seeing, and managed to get into that scene a little bit that way.)

The Who's record company and management wanted the band to align themselves with the mod movement and it's subsequent music scene.

The Who were never fully embraced by mods ( nor did they care either ), but they certainly dressed the part for a while - especially Keith and Pete.

Some real mod bands were The Small Faces, The Action and The Creation and a whole lot of other bands that are long forgotten.

Stone's comment pretty much nails the differences. Also, The mod movement was short-lived and based solely in 60's pop culture elements like fashion, music and a manufactured youth conflict: mods vs rockers. Plus mod music and fashion influenced the punks a decade later.

As Friendly alluded to, mods and beatniks are different groups.

Beatniks, of course, were essentially American and existed in the 1950's; aka the Beat Generation (Jack Kerouac, etc.) They were into poetry and jazz and eventually gave rise to the hippy scene later on.

As Friendly suggested, Quadrophenia is a Who movie about the mods, who were chiefly British, working-class kids in the '60s who listened to mod music, wore military parkas, Fred Perry t-shirts, a target symbol on their shirts and jackets, and rode motor scooters (usually Vespas and Lambrettas).

Bokonon --

I wonder who, specifically, you are referring to? I remember some relatively minor squirmishes or tensions between some of the men of the beat generation but I'm having trouble coming up with a situation of the caliber that you suggest.

(Other than geography, the beats were primarily literary, while the mods were primarily musical. Bebop would be the soundtrack to the beats, while the mods made their own soundtrack, if that makes any sense . The mods also wore better suits and drove fabulous mopeds, but that's incidental ... unless you're really hot for a good suit. There is little significant crossover between the two groups. Of course, as in all scenes, there were always a bunch of beautiful cool kids hitching a ride in both groups ... but hey, where would we be without beautiful cool kids? Most of us would have never been born.)

Hey, that's post #2, and I've been reading this board for ... what ... years?

I think maybe there has been some confusion because the beats were mentioned. We are talking different countries, different fashion, different decades and different attitudes. Most especially different music.

However it's all some oldtimer crap anyways. No room for either in this mixed up new century. Although it would be nice if one could still hitch throiugh the US without fear of arrogant police, rapes in rest areas, sketchy Deliverancesque towns and interstates.

okay, all i see is that they are groups of young pretty people dressing in a certain way, listening to certain music and hanging out with certain people while trying to be elitist about it. they try to rage at the establishment but really just contribute to it by forming thier identity by group association, thereby creating a target market. the details are just semantics, essentially these groups are the same thing. why does this formula sound so familiar?

i dunno man, i love learning about the beats, a lot of great literature came from them. i'm not sure that the dressing a certain way and listening to certain music was an elitist thing, it's just what they did... just like we go see certain bands, etc etc... there are always business types trying to capitalize on what looks like it may gain popularity.

Seems awefully cynical, bok.

I'm with meggo -- they made some real significant contributions. Yeah, it seems cliche, but seriously, tell me 'Howl' isn't one powerhouse of a poem or that 'On The Road' didn't change a thousand peoples lives.

I think you're probably right about the mod scene, though. But damn, those really were some killer suits ...

I imagine that the real, deep 'scenes' always develop around the people who are doing authentic, meaningful work. The trappings that come with it might seem vain, superficial, trite, even elitist, whatever, but I thinks it's better than people toiling away pumping out good books/good movies/good music and never getting any acknowledgment or accolades at all ...

But I haven't slept in a lot of days ...

::

The mod scene was basically shallow pop culture. Literature and film were not a part of this scene. Mods were all about fashion and music ( based in R&B and skiffle ). Beats were about deeper things. I hate the quickly " dated " beat culture, but it was by far the more significant and influential to 20th century culture.