Jambands.ca

anyone have great photos of GLOWSTICK wars?

Wait a second. Del was at Coventry?

Ha ha! That's actually pretty funny Booche... Is the 6tth picture down from The Great Went? I have a great picture from there that looks really similiar to that one... The war from that Hood was the first one ever, and I remember turning to my buddy and saying something like: "Do they do this all the time? 'Cause this is pretty cool..." Trey's comments during it sealed the deal for my love of glowstick wars... Too bad they started to get overdone, a properly placed war was always a treat...

bouche those pictures make me want to cry!!! i remember looking backwards at the crowd at coventry and seeing those orange glowsticks shooting up by the handful and then spreading and spreading and spreading...then someone else must have had a box of neopolitan ones (red, grean and blue i think) and they did the same thing. didn't have a camera on me at the time and hadn't seen anything of it till now.

thanks!

So I checked and I was wrong about the Went being the first one... I'm sure I heard that somewhere, but here's what the Phish.net FAQ had to say:

Origin and History: The original glowstick war was during Harpua at 11-25-94, UIC Pavillion, Chicago, IL, but then there was a long lapse until they began to appear during "Harry Hood", where they now appear consistently and predictably. During the Harry Hood on 8-2-97, Trey askes Chris ""Topher" Kuroda" to cut the lights, so the band could play while watching the stars. At the Great Went, 8-17-97, Trey again asked Chris to cut the lights, but this time the audience began tossing glowsticks. Soon hundreds of glowsticks were flying through the darkness. The band clearly fed off of this, a fine example of the mix of band antics, jamming, and audience interaction. Trey threw some of the glowsticks that landed on the stage back into the audience. After the Great Went, Harry Hood and glowstick wars went hand in hand. By the end of 1998, they were also appearing in such songs as "Down with Disease" and "Piper".