Jambands.ca

Thriller

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

So I just listened to Michael Jackson's seminal Thriller record for the first time in at least 15 years. I bought a used copy at a local record shop basically as an inside joke with my girlfriend.

I'm amazed how well songs like Billie Jean, Thriller, and Beat It still hold up compared to today's music. But besides those legendary songs there isn't that much more that grabs my attention. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and Pretty Young Thing are also tight tracks, but that's about it.

Does this album really deserve the title of "greatest album ever"? What do you think of Thriller?

Eddie Van Halen's solo on Beat It is phenomenal.

The urban legend I've heard dictates that VH sat down and cut that solo in the first take, as sort-of a run-through. The producer loved it and didn't even want him to do another take.

I also heard that no matter how much money they offered him, VH wouldn't appear in the video :D.

Eddie Van Halen's solo on Beat It is phenomenal.

The urban legend I've heard dictates that VH sat down and cut that solo in the first take, as sort-of a run-through. The producer loved it and didn't even want him to do another take.

I also heard that no matter how much money they offered him, VH wouldn't appear in the video :D.

I never heard the first story, but the second one is true. Eddie thought that the song would tank and wanted nothing to do with the video.

I love Thriller, but I also love the original Let it Be. When they put out Let It Be:Naked, I heard the truth.

They should re-produce Thriller as a pure funk album. Screw the big production...and Vincent Price.

The grooves on that album are really cool. I LOVE the Thriller groove.....

ba dum-dum-dum badum

ba dum-dum-dum badum

ba dum-dum-dum badum

Guest Low Roller
Who says it's the greatest album ever?

Well the Guiness Book of World Records has Thriller listed as the "Biggest Selling Album Of All Time", with over 50 million copies sold worldwide. If we're talking about sheer volume of sales in the U.S., then Thriller comes in a close second place next to the Eagles Greatest Hits.

For shits and giggles here is a list of the top selling albums of all time in the U.S.:

28 Million

Eagles Their Greatest Hits 1971–1975, Eagles (Elektra)

26 Million

Thriller, Michael Jackson (Epic)

23 Million

The Wall, Pink Floyd (Columbia)

22 Million

Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)

21 Million

Greatest Hits Volumes I & II, Billy Joel (Columbia)

19 Million

Rumours, Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.)

Back in Black, AC/DC (Elektra)

The Beatles, The Beatles (Capitol)

Come On Over, Shania Twain (Mercury Nashville)

17 Million

Boston, Boston (Epic)

The Bodyguard (Soundtrack), Whitney Houston (Arista)

16 Million

Cracked Rear View, Hootie & the Blowfish (Atlantic)

Greatest Hits, Elton John (Rocket)

Hotel California, Eagles (Elektra)

The Beatles 1967–1970, The Beatles (Capitol)

No Fences, Garth Brooks (Capitol Nashville)

Jagged Little Pill, Alanis Morissette (Maverick)

15 Million

Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen (Columbia)

Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin (Swan Song)

Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd (Capitol)

Saturday Night Fever (Soundtrack), Bee Gees (Polydor/Atlas)

The Beatles 1962–1966, The Beatles (Capitol)

Appetite for Destruction, Guns 'N Roses (Geffen)

Double Live, Garth Brooks (Capitol Nashville)

Thriller is good but Off The Wall is best. That really is an excellent album from start to finish and is a reminder of what an uber-talent MJ used to be, and what a sad decline his life and career has taken since the dawn of the 1990's.

The reality is Thriller made an impact on a global scale not seen since The Beatles. Something like 8 of it's 9 tracks (I may have the ratio wrong) were Top 10 hits. When discussing popular music it's a hard album to ignore.

Agreed about Off The Wall. That's an f'in phenomenal album, with a super opening track and solid all the way through.

Bouche, that's a great idea about a rawer release of Thriller with the polish and cheese removed. That'd kick butt. Billie Jean is one song that always gets me grabbing my belt buckle and finding my way onto the dancefloor.

i dunno, maybe just cuz i heard it way too much being just that age in 84 but i just can't get into thriller - not that i've tried though.

i remember that year that there were the Thriller kids and the Synchonicity kids - you weren't really allowed to like both...

I loved the album when I was a kid (haven't listened to it in ages). Agreed that Billie Jean is still one rockin' tune though.

However, Thriller was the all-time scariest video for me when I was a kid. I was totally freaked out for days thinking there were werewolves in my forest. Creepin' me out a little right now actually. ::