Jambands.ca

Song by Song review of Trey 4.26.05

PassedOutGuy

Started out slowly with Come as Melody... the song has potential but trey's vocals sound very weak...

Oz is ever Floating...I dont think anyone in th eplace knew what song it was until Trey started singing... definitely misses Les on thsi one... The bass is nowhere to be found... once again Trey's vocals were definitely lacking... plus he was trying to do more than one part...

Sitting Here in Limbo.. very tasteful rendition not much of a jam but still well done...

GoodBye Head... Ok now we are getting somewhere... this song flat out rocks! very nice composed section... many jam feeling s in the middle reminiscent of a Curtain or Reba... I cant wait to see where this song goes...

Which brings me to Night Speaks... obviously lacking in the loss of Jen's vocals but Trey rips the shit out of the openning solo... more as the show progresses on my cd player...

Im not too sure of his take on Knives out... I was wishing for so much thinking of hearing Trey take on Radiohead... the playing is solid and not to rip the vocals again but Trey is definitely not Thom Yorke...

Black is a slow ballad... the lyrics are fairly uneventful but there is a nice building jam with a bit of energy to end it...

Drifting closes out the first set... very pretty song as always... once again the bass is lacking... this one misses Fat Tony for sure... luckily I had Lisa here singing back up vocals for "the stars above" part and she actually sounds better than Jen did... the jam is a standard Drifting jam.. at the 4.20 mark the intensity is brought a little more... by the 6 minute mark we hit the peak and a nice little breakdown jam ensues... and fades away...

Mr Completely starts off completely disjointed... it takes the band a good 2 and a half minutes to find where they gotta be to start the jam...

finally, about 5 and a half minutes in they hit this really cool spacey almost airy jam... Try is playing some accompanying chords... the sounds u may here in the middle of a Piper... the keys are taking over for sure.. this is a newer aspect to Trey's solo sound...

continuing cool spacey keys through 9 minutes but trey has begun to add some notes here and there... starting to sequence a bit more... 10 minutes and the funk ensues...Skeeto seems more locked into the groove than ever.. they proceed to rock out until bringing the main riff theme back...

The official Plasma recording made me wonder how in the hell that made the final cut.

I was thinking the same thing this weekend. Those putrid vocals had me lunging for the fast forward!

Edited by Guest

A pretty Talk is next after the band introductions...Trey playing accoustic at his solo shows are definitely a treat...Phish didnt play this too often.. only 5 times since 96 so this was a nice treat...

Love is Freedom is next... another accoustic number with some touching lyrics... Ray adds some classy background piano which is perfect...

Cincinnatti has a great openning... utter craziness for the first couple of minutes...then the song really kicks in and rocks out... this set defnitely has some fun to it... middle jam goes in a couple of directions... tempo changes... intensity of playing...some nice noodling across theboard from all involved...im liking the intensity of this song alot... nice build at 10 minutes...which segues very nicely into Low... one of my favourites of the new songs...balls out rocker... i can see the place gettin down pretty hard to this track...

I Am the Walrus second set closer.... Im takin that in my next Phantsytour pics... thats money baby,.... almost like a Cavern one timer...

Trey's vocals distorted again .. good effect.. the crowd seems really into it with the wooooo chants... I lik ethis take a wee bit better than Higher Grounds take but there seems like something is missing... onto the encore...

Host across the Potomac... first listen hasnt done much of anything for me... Trey really has to start to think about pullingb back on the vocals a bit... at times horrendous is giving him the benefit of the doubt.. yet other songs he can sound great...

Love that breaks all lines... has Trey on accoustic again... Ray on Keys.. actually one of the prettier songs of the evening... very nice way to end it...

All in all I give the show about a 6 out of 10... nothing spectacular to say the least... and at times I was wishing for more... but I have faith that its early in a bands first tour... the potential is there... now the question is... can they attain it?