Jambands.ca

Moving to Hamilton

phunkyb

My never ending schooling continues.

I am moving to Hamilton and will be starting at MAC in Sept.

I am looking for a place to live, walking/riding distance from campus. Hopefully a heady 1 bedroom is waiting for me.

I am going to look at a bunch of places on monday.

I have never lived outside of Toronto in my 25 years and am looking forward to a bit of a change.

Hopefully my transition is positive and looking forward to meeting some good folk.

Amy - we, like kc, live in the Locke Street area and it is a wonderful mini-community with plenty of housing options, and not too far from Mac. It's actually becoming a pretty trendy area, but not quite yet. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

The move from TO to Hamilton will surely be an adjustment but I've met several people who made the move with no regrets.

Welcome to The Hammer!

Welcome buddy... great music establishments here, so you should still be able to get out and have a great time....

If I see you at a show, come introduce yourself... I am the guy with the curly brown hair usually dancing up front.

The Staircase is not quite the same area, but pretty close. It would take me about 20 minutes or so to walk to the Staircase from my place. Nice area also, accesible to everywhere.

I grew up in Dundas. I love it and - assuming I were to stay in this area - I would move back there in a heartbeat. It is pretty quiet though, a true small town. It has a bus route that will take you to Mac. In fact, when I lived in Dundas and went to Mac I just walked there. It was a good 30 - 40 min walk from my place to campus, but it was a good way to exercise and wind down my head after a day's work in class or an afternoon's work at the pub with Brian Hamilton.

locke is a vcery nice area for sure, ,except for the crappy neighbors, see kc and marcos posts,(HA!) especially the north side of locke, is filling up with young familys and the like, property values are constantly rising

hammers okay, im looking foward to moving back out of town to be honest haha

glad to hear were getting some more friendly folk though, ,we could use it.

I totally agree Bri, and I've got a trusty map to illustrate...:D

edited out...

My place is considered on the edge of Westdale I guess. On my bike I'm at campus in about 7 or 8 minutes, walking it's less than 20. Westdale is great because you can live in a big old house and, as long as you're sharing it, make away with pretty cheap rent. I'm sharing a 6 br house with 3 other people (so lots of extra space), we each pay $330 a month. HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT TORONTO?! When I lived on Queen W in Toronto last year, I shared a dirty hole of an apartment with a friend, we each paid $475, and that's CHEAP for Toronto.

On the map, I put a blue line around the area that is highly concentrated with students...although we're outside of that area, I'm a student (my roomates aren't though) and most of my neighbours are students too. There are also lots of students in the neighbourhood south of Main, West of the area shown on the map. In fact it's probably more concentrated than in Westdale, but I think the living space in Westdale is generally less "student ghetto". As for Locke Street, it runs parallel to Dundurn, one block East (not shown).

Anyway, alls I'm saying is, Hamilton is the place to be in my mind. The cost of living is remarkably cheaper than Toronto, but it's not like moving to London or Kingston where sometimes you feel like the only fun people around are there to go to school and then leave. The city has a personality of its own, and the live music scene is positively thriving. Plus it's close enough to Toronto (40 minutes and $8.60 on the GO bus) that getting there is no problem for shows, friends, whatever. I have to say, Hamilton is quite a town.

Edited by Guest

My parents have 3 basement apartments for rent in the Westdale area about 15 minutes from campus. I know the basement isn't appealing but if push comes to shove. If your interested let me know and I'll PM the information to you.

I used to live in the same building as MarcO and Hamilton off of Locke, but I just got a house about a block away, it's the only place in hamilton I could ever really see myself living. It's a fun, funky area with a strong sense of community.

its really to bad that your moving there, hamilton is the crapyest city in ontario. i never meet a cool person from there or had a good time in hamilton,

plus the whole city smells!

this makes me mental...hamilton is not as bad as it is made out to be. in fact westdale is pretty nice. cool little pseudo-downtown strip, theatre, and cootes' paradise just down the hill. i lived on paradise rd for a few years and really dug the neighbourhood.

phunkyb, if you want to be close to school, westdale is the place to be. and as i understand it, you'll have lots of cool neighbours!