Jambands.ca

Weir to bring back Wall of Sound/Ratdog now bigger than Jesus

Hux

In light of the recent announcement that Ratdog with opener Bruce Hornsby will play the 17,500 seat Pepsi Arena in Albany NY, on Sept. 5th, 2005, rumours have surfaced that Bob Weir will be resurrecting the legendary "Wall of Sound" sound system used by the Grateful Dead from 1973 to 1974.

The rationale: Weir's band Ratdog's dramatically increasing popularity.

Once a fixture in aging ballrooms, seaside honky tonks and renovated Chuck E Cheese's, Ratdog - after a blistering Spring tour - has been forced to play venues as large as 19 - 20,000 seat capacities in order to accommodate the ever growing legions of finger waving "miracle seekers" and PLQ abandoners.

It will no doubt be extremely difficult to locate the entire original "Wall"; pieces of it are scattered in basements, storage units and Hanson's garage. Some of it is even believed to have been thrown in the Ganges.

When contacted Weir only replied, "any use of misfit power is a good use of power." Fans of the band were excited by the news: "Cool my mom was 17 in 1974" stated one ebullient loyalist, and "it's about time Bobby got his due, I'm gonna eat a shit fuck load of pills for this show" said B-Dub Army Corporal Del.

(lifted and embellished from Ratdog.org)

:)

wallofsound.jpg

This has to be the biggest news to hit Hux since Belinda!

Cool news, though. It just strikes me as funny, considering it was as a result of lugging the Wall of Sound around the country that the Grateful Dead almost went bankrupt back in the '70s.

(Actually, Mickey's dad stole a whole bunch of money from them at one time, too, and I can't remember exactly when so that might have also contributed to the financial issues at the time, but the Wall of Sound was definitely a big factor in the Dead almost disbanding way back then.)

I definitely look forward to my next Rat Dog show, now!

Is this for real?...I mean I love Bob and all..but why would you drag out the wall of sound. By now it's old and outdated and cumbersome. Unless just for the novelty/historical appeal.. I mean relly...just buy or rent new gear. It's not like thy're strapped for cash.

Edited by Guest

Is this for real?...I mean I love Bob and all..but why would you drag out the wall of sound. By now it's old and outdated and cumbersome. Unless just for the novelty/historical appeal.. I mean relly...just buy or rent new gear. It's not like thy're strapped for cash.

Shit - it didn't quote your tagline -which is the funniest I've ever seen! Yee-haw.