Jambands.ca

Help makin Tie Dye????

c-towns

[color:green]You need to use soda ash! I have no clue where you can buy it though, I looked all over. I just let the shirt sit in a bag tied up for a few days so that the shirt kinda dries. Then you just have to wash it by hand in cold water and thats the best thing you can do to make the colour last!

I believe that when tye dyeing there is a special solution you can buy that will fasten the colour. You soak the shirt in it after you dyed the shirt, not when you wash it. You can find some really good sites for instructions. I was planning on doing some of my own last summer but never got around to it..

I found that if your using ritt/tintex powdered dyes, I get it boiling in a giant pot on the stove. Then put the shirt in the boiling water and let it sit in there for a little while. Something about the heat that sets the colour. Then when you wash, add lots of salt to the washing machine, that does something to help keep the colour.

Anytime i've made any dyes..i always double the dye they ask for....and soak it longer in the boiling pot...just make sure ya wash it the first time in cold water wiht lotsa salt lie cyberhippie said...and aftere that whenever ya wash it wsh it inside out...keeps the colors vibrant longer and it shouln't run ...atleast it neveer did for me

Salt is definitely a good help...but only use in a plastic machine unless you want to rust the shit out of your washer.

I think you can still by a Colour Fast solution (brand?) at stores like FabricLand. Not sure how environmentally friendly it is (not that the dyes are good for ya anyway), but I think it's a couple bucks a package to do a batch of dyes. Good luck and wear super thick gloves. Oh yeah, and try to do it outdoors for better ventilation! :)