Jambands.ca

Trey on Letterman 06-17

Del

According to vh1.com Trey is slated to appear on the David Letterman Show on Friday June 17th.

Trey's planned Summer tour with Ben Harper was recently cancelled due to low ticket sales. Still no word on the rescheduled Trey tour this summer.

This appearance comes roughly one year after Phish played on top of the Letterman marquee.

Cool. I love Trey, although I am entirely exasperated by his most recent efforts and actions. Talented guy, just uber-frustrating.

I keep hearing more talk of his band being re-configured before Bonnaroo. Personally, I think that would be a step in the right direction.

Bring back the horny section, Trey!

Edited by Guest

None of the 70 Volt Parade shows were "on fire"... The Superjam was decent, but then again Trey had Mike Gordon and a handful of others there to save that performance...

I wish the dude would take some time to get himself back together...

I know his health was the main point here, but to be honest, I'd like to see Trey get his playing back together as well... Take some time off, write some good songs and come back tearing it up. 70VP was embarrassing not only for Trey, but also for all the reasons Trey gave for breaking up Phish... I don't expect to see Trey get Phish back together (although I'd be first in line for a ticket if he did), but to come back with something as bad as 70VP was a disgrace... He can do better...

I wouldnt concur that the tour was "embarrassing" for Trey.. I definitely think it was up and down... each show had its highs and lows... The first tour ever by a new band and people are treating it as if they have been touring for years...

The amount of negativity and pure hatred by so many Ive read on so many boards sure wouldnt give me incentive to play better.. id be saying fuck you truthfully... but thats just me...

It needs time to evolve... who knows if ALL the songs from the first tour will continue in the rotation... so the Lyrics aren't Robert Hunter or Bob Dylan worthy... hell there not even Tom Marshall worthy... im gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt and continue to support one of my greatest musical influences on my life...

That's fine and all POG, but when Trey broke up Phish because he didn't want to tour as much, the creativity just wasn't there and he didn't want to turn into a nostalgia act, and then does a full tour with 70VP, plays more covers than originals and many of those covers are Phish songs, I say something isn't right. Nobody is expecting 70VP to be a polished machine, but what's Trey's excuse? The man is a monster, I've seen him melt faces before, so why play the way he did? His heart doesn't seem to be in it anymore... He can't be hurting for money (just how bad was his Oxy problem anyways?), and if he wanted to go through the motions playing half-assed, why not just carry on with Phish? The ticket prices were pretty much the same. I don't want to pay that kind of money to see a band get their shit together... Charge $10 and I won't bitch at all, charge $40 or $50 and I'll call it what it is - a money grab... Trey needs a new band, new material and most of all some real desire to go out and play to his ability again. Anything short of that ends up being exactly what he apparently didn't want - a nostalgia act...

DAMN NOT HAVING CABLE....

We don't have cable either, which has meant being pretty committed to watching, say, Austin City Limits if someone good is on, and peering through the snow with the sound cranked up. The upside, of course, is that the TV just hardly goes on at all, for which my health at this point thanks me (and my conscience is cleaner for our kids).

"when Trey broke up Phish because he didn't want to tour as much"

With Phish, obviously.

"why not just carry on with Phish?"

You try steering that ship. As much as that guy loves to have his ego stroked, Phish became a massive corporation and you KNOW most people looked to him for more decision making than he was willing to make. It was his baby and the organization knew it. That would make me "tired" as well.

70 Volt Parade feels a little *rushed* to me, but maybe plans were in place, something went awol and he had to field a team of players before it was too late? As a player, he hasnt lost a step from who he has been the past couple of years but he fielded a team that didnt sync up with him as well as they should have. Personally, I dont have a clue what he is up to but I do know he loves to play in a live setting.

It might be that simple.

According to an article on nbc.com:

"For the first time in 10 years, the David Letterman show has been cancelled for a week due to the enormous lack of audience members to fill seating in the studio. This hasn't happened since the introduction of the "stupid pet tricks" segment in 1995.

"when Trey broke up Phish because he didn't want to tour as much"

With Phish, obviously.

"why not just carry on with Phish?"

You try steering that ship. As much as that guy loves to have his ego stroked, Phish became a massive corporation and you KNOW most people looked to him for more decision making than he was willing to make. It was his baby and the organization knew it. That would make me "tired" as well.

I'm sorry but I'll never support that argument at all. This whole "steering of the huge ship" business is inexcusable. First of all, it makes it sound like Phish were a MASSIVE act, which - quite frankly - they weren't, only from our perspective. They performed an average of 50 shows a year, almost all of them in the US. We're not talking about a road burning international touring machine here. I just don't get it. You play for 1.5 - 2 months a year and put out an album every couple of years. Every band has support staff, it's part of the game. James Taylor works harder than that and he's been in the game a lot longer.

So I have no sympathy or support for the "size" argument of Phish, it being too tough to handle. It's just another excuse.

James Taylor works harder than that and he's been in the game a lot longer.

Who do you think got more chicks back in the day, James Taylor or Cat Stevens? Taylor is a steamroller, but Stevens is ready to ready to ready to love...

AD