Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

Enjoyed listening to this today. Too bad his son is such a douche.

http://bit.ly/nE3HY3

tumblr_lsyivyuBAf1qjoyjs.jpg

The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams

Created from writings left behind by country music’s “lovesick blues boy,†The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams premieres the first-ever performances of 12 previously unheard Hank Williams lyric compositions newly set to music by 13 artists whose own sensibilities have been profoundly shaped by Williams. The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams project began with the idea of finding a well-known artist, one who felt Hank’s inspiration and influence, to record an album’s worth of the unheard songs. After veteran music industry manager/A&R executive Mary Martin approached Bob Dylan, a natural first choice for the endeavor, the project evolved into a multi-artist tribute providing a variety of sympathetic approaches to this rich mysterious material. Other artists appearing on the album include Jack White, Norah Jones, Lucinda Williams, Alan Jackson and many more.

mp3@320

Track List

01. You’ve Been Lonesome, Too - Alan Jackson

02. The Love That Faded - Bob Dylan

03. How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart? - Norah Jones

04. You Know That I Know - Jack White

05. I’m So Happy I Found You - Lucinda Williams

06. I Hope You Shed a Million Tears - Vince Gill and Rodney Crowell

07. You’re Through Fooling Me - Patty Loveless

08. You’ll Never Again Be Mine - Levon Helm

09. Blue Is My Heart - Holly Williams

10. Oh, Mama, Come Home - Jakob Dylan

11. Angel Mine - Sheryl Crow

12. The Sermon on the Mount - Merle Haggard

http://bit.ly/nE3HY3

Led Zeppelin

Dallas International Motor Speedway

Lewisville, Texas

1969-08-31

1. Train Kept A-Rollin' (2:59)

2. I Can't Quit You Baby (6:49)

3. Dazed And Confused (14:59)

4. You Shook Me (10:42)

5. How Many More Times (Part 1) (10:45)

6. How Many More Times (Part 2) (11:42)

7. Communication Breakdown (4:42)

http://bit.ly/obP0CI

Jerry Garcia Band - Let It Rock: Keystone, Berkeley 1975

frontko.jpg

The latest release to come from the Garcia vault is Let It Rock: Jerry Garcia Band 1975 a 2-CD set recorded November 17 and 18, 1975 at the Keystone Berkeley, featuring the very first version of the Jerry Garcia Band, with the magnificent British pianist Nicky Hopkins, drummer Ron Tutt and ol’ reliable—bassist John Kahn. This marks the first-ever full release of material from the brief but fruitful Garcia-Hopkins union (August through December ’75), and it shows the group at its best, rolling though a broad range of styles, from the churning opener, “Let It Rock,†to Dead favorites like “Sugaree,†“They Love Each Other†and a lively “Friend of the Devil,†to boppin’ R&B—“Tore Up Over You,†“Roadrunnerâ€â€”a 19-minute workout (!) on the Stones’ “Let’s Spend the Night Together,†and Nicky’s exceptional instrumental track “Edward.â€

The sound on these discs is impeccable: They were mixed from 16-track master tapes by Jeffrey Norman, who has mixed and mastered countless Dead-related projects through the years. The clarity of the vocals and instruments is absolutely stunning—it’s practically like being at the legendary Keystone Berkeley, except without that distinctive smell of beer and popcorn, and the clacking of the foosball table in the back room. The icing on this particular slice of psychedelic cake is a fine essay by David Gans which probes the Jerry-Nicky dynamic and offers some needed historical context. In short, this one is a must for Jerry freaks (and doesn’t that include all of us?)! —Blair Jackson

mp3@v0

Track List

DISC 1:

01. Let It Rock

02. Tore Up Over You

03. Friend Of The Devil

04. They Love Each Other

05. It’s Too Late

06. Pig’s Boogie

07. Band Introductions

08. Sitting In Limbo

09. (I’m A) Road Runner

DISC 2:

01. Sugaree

02. I’ll Take A Melody

03. That’s What Love Will Make You Do

04. Lady Sleeps

05. Ain’t No Use

06. Let’s Spend The Night Together

07. Edward, The Mad Shirt Grinder

http://bit.ly/obP0CI

Edited by Guest

I don't have my original copies here in Seoul to do an A/B comparison, and I'm not listening on the same system I would be at home, but nevertheless I'm going to have to say that these generally sound better than the original pressings.

To my ears, the only of the original pressings that sounded good were Hatful of Hollow, Strangeways, Here We Come and The Queen Is Dead. The difference in sound quality is easy to perceive on all the others. The most obvious difference is in the bass, which is both fuller and louder (Andy Rourke!!!).

Edited by Guest

http://bit.ly/nf3wDL

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders - Live at Keystone, Volume I

tumblr_ltbjgbpzRL1qjoyjs.jpg

This 1973 release features what is essentially a Bay Area bar band led by Merl Saunders (keyboards) and Jerry Garcia (guitar) during the latter musician’s downtime from the Grateful Dead. Along with the two subsequent “encore†volumes, Live at Keystone includes performances drawn from the quartet’s July 10-11, 1973, run in the intimate confines of Keystone Korners in Berkeley. With the support of Bill Vitt(percussion) and John Kahn (bass), the pair jams their way through an eclectic assortment of covers and a few equally inspired original instrumentals. The clavinet and Hammond B-3-driven “Keepers†(aka “Finders Keepersâ€) is one such composition from the team of Saunders and Kahn. This funky rocker pulsates through some downright greasy interactions that recall a cross between Sly Stone and Billy Preston. Their interpretation of “Positively 4th Street†— the first of two Bob Dylan covers — is laid-back and bluesy, which allows Garcia to stretch out instrumentally between the verses. His impassioned vocals weave between Saunders’ alternating murky and billowing organ fills, adding new depths of empathetic noir. Notably, David Grisman’s mandolin runs were not part of the live recording, but overdubbed later. Conversely, Jimmy Cliff’s “The Harder They Come†bops with an infectiously syncopated shuffle that glides along Saunders’ ethereal, swirling keyboard accents mimicking the hurdy-gurdy of a calliope. “It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry†is given a languid and slinky workout that is highlighted by some of Garcia’s most incendiary fretwork in this collection. Joined in progress is “Space†— a bit of jazzy free-form which was initially preceded by “Someday Baby†during the July 10 performance. John Kahn truly shines as he barrels in between Saunders’ scatological leads and Garcia’s trippy guitar runs. This distinct ensemble improvisation recalls some of the Grateful Dead’s further-out sonic explorations during seminal mid-’70s performances of “Playing in the Band†and “Eyes of the World.†It likewise foreshadows the direction that the Dead would follow on their highly sophisticated and fusion-influenced Blues for Allah (1975). The 1988 CD includes the previously unissued “Merle’s Tune†from the July 11 show. This extended instrumental features a more aggressive side of the band, who churns through the changes in a hybrid of R&B and jazz. Again, Garcia and Saunders feed off of each other as they bandy solos and trade funk-filled licks. - Lindsay Planer

mp3@320

Track List

1. Keepers (Merl Saunders / John Kahn)

2. Positively 4th Street (Bob Dylan)

3. The Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff)

4. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry (Bob Dylan)

5. Space (Merl Saunders / Jerry Garcia / John Kahn / Bill Vitt)

6. It’s No Use (Clark / McGuinn)

7. Merl’s Tune (Merl Saunders / White)

http://bit.ly/nf3wDL

http://bit.ly/r4Nwpp

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders - Live at Keystone, Volume II

tumblr_ltbkikWv9n1qjoyjs.jpg

The route that this material took from double-LP form to CD has been spread over a logic-defying series of releases — many of which (like this one) clock in at under an hour. In essence, these five numbers represent the second disc of the two-record set with the addition of a 1988 remix of “Mystery Train†— which was not on the LPs or the subsequent Keystone Encores titles. Confused yet? If so, let the music speak for itself as Live at the Keystone is chocked with unquestionably inspired covers that are each respectively extended and collectively improvised by co-instrumental leads Jerry Garcia (guitar/vocals) and Merl Saunders (organ) with Bill Vitt (drums) and John Kahn (bass). This was more or less an ad-hoc configuration, as opposed to the organized touring unit that Garcia developed as the Jerry Garcia Band. From December of 1970 through the spring of 1974 — prior to the combo evolving into the Legion of Mary — the guitarist could often be found performing sporadically in and around San Francisco between engagements with the Grateful Dead. The quartet ably fuse rock with jazz and spacey unfettered jams emerging from an eclectic composite from R&B and blues to seminal rock oldies and even popular standards. Compared to his contributions to the Grateful Dead, Garcia seems to invest the time to dig in and explore the melodies thoroughly. The supremely crafted “My Funny Valentine†is much more than a remake, as the entire familiar structure has been gutted and upgraded to a jazzy, intuitive groove. Similarly, “Like a Road Leading Home†goes to a new emotive strata when compared to Albert King’s original as the quartet develop an earthier, almost palpable feel that King merely hints at. Stylistically contrary is the frolicking optimistic “That’s Alright Mama†with Kahn playfully plunging below Garcia’s clear-toned strings. The ‘bonus’ “Mystery Train†arguably offers up the best example of what a strong sonic bond existed between not only Garcia and Saunders, but also Kahn — as the trio propel the rhythm into an open exchange of instantaneous ideas. It is no wonder they stayed together through the mid-’70s and then reunited in 1979 for the criminally short-lived outfit Reconstruction. However, these earlier and more intimate recordings from the Keystone provide a glimpse of Garcia’s enormously and oft overlooked range as a musician and arranger. - Lindsay Planer

mp3@320

Track List

1. That’s Alright Mama (Arthur Crudup)

2. My Funny Valentine (Rodgers / Hart)

3. Someday Baby (Sam Hopkins)

4. Like A Road Leading Home (Nix / Penn)

5. Mystery Train (Junior Parker / Sam Philips)

http://bit.ly/r4Nwpp

Edited by Guest

http://bit.ly/ocZrgW

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders - Live at Keystone, Encores

tumblr_ltbk75rbe51qjoyjs.jpg

This is the third of three CDs compiled from a two-night (July 10 and 11, 1973) stand at Keystone Korners in Berkeley. These recordings have likewise yielded a pair of additional volumes — all of which stem from the original Live at Keystone (1973) two-LP release. Merl Saunders (keyboards) and Jerry Garcia (guitar/vocals) lead a funky rhythm section — consisting of John Kahn (bass) and Bill Vitt (percussion) — through a variety of adeptly chosen R&B, Motown, and blues covers. Garcia and Saunders began performing sporadically throughout the end of 1970, reconvening in the Bay Area whenever the guitarist could find time away from his day gig with the Grateful Dead. Ultimately this loose aggregate became the prototype for a somewhat more formal Jerry Garcia Band, which continued until Garcia’s passing in 1995. By the time these recordings were made, this particular combo was holding court upwards of eight weeks a year and had developed a unique, laid-back persona, perfectly counterbalancing Garcia’s decidedly more aggressive contributions to the Dead. The musical centerpiece of this band is undoubtedly their uncanny ability to provide multiple layers of interpretation and variation on familiar themes. The combination of Saunders’ sweet and soulful organ leads and the pure tonality in Garcia’s solos is flawlessly supported by round upon round of Kahn’s assertively fluid interjections. The Motown cover of “How Sweet It Is†perhaps best-exemplifies this approach, as the bassist punctuates the established melody with his trademark second-nature harmonic counterpoint. Keen-eared Deadheads will undoubtedly be curious to hear the adaptations of “High Heel Sneakers,†“I Second That Emotion,†as well as the Chicago-style blues interpretation of Blind Lemon Jefferson’s “One Kind Favor†— which the Dead very occasionally worked into their earliest performances. The loose structure allows for extended soloing which rather inadvertently reveals a lighthearted and cherubic side to Garcia’s musical companionship. This is a recommended listen for potential fans as well as the seasoned enthusiast. - Lindsay Planer

mp3@320

Track List

1. Hi-Heel Sneakers (Robert Higgenbotham)

2. It’s Too Late (She’s Gone) (Chuck Willis)

3. I Second That Emotion (William Robinson / Al Cleveland)

4. One Kind Favor (Traditional)

5. Money Honey (Jesse Stone)

6. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) (Holland / Dozier / Holland)

http://bit.ly/ocZrgW