Jambands.ca

if one wants to bring a band to ontario...

phorbesie

Unfortunately, Ottawa doesn't have a lot in the way of local promoters, so the band (and/or its management) would have to deal with the clubs directly. If their music is in the "jammy" realm, good clubs to contact would be

Note that Cafe Dekcuf and Mavericks are run by the same people.

(Another resource for which clubs are in Ottawa would be the XPress music venue listings.)

If they wanted to play Ottawa, a local (known) supporting act would be a good idea. As for promotion, the bar might help, and a street team for postering could probably be arranged (in exchange for a spot or two on the guest list).

To make it worthwhile, they should really do a string of shows, like Montreal -> Ottawa -> Kingston -> Toronto -> Hamilton. If they could do it and work in a festival (like CTMF), that might help make the trip worthwhile, money-wise.

Finally, they might want to talk to Addison Groove Project, another Boston band, which has played up here (Montreal more than Ontario) a bit; their experiences in getting paperwork sorted out to get across the border would prove invaluable, I think.

Aloha,

Brad

Finally, they might want to talk to Addison Groove Project, another Boston band, which has played up here (Montreal more than Ontario) a bit; their experiences in getting paperwork sorted out to get across the border would prove invaluable, I think.

The Slip are from Boston too, right? They've been up here plenty of times and would probably know, in case D'elf can't get in touch with AGP.

AD

Haha, and the Slip can probably shed light on what NOT to do when crossing the border... I forget when it was but there was a show at the Swimming where they had to borrow gear because theirs couldn't come across the big imaginary line.

AD

thanks brad! :)

i'm sure they can talk to those guys for some info about logistics...and it would be good to know what venues peeps like the in various cities up here to put together a tour.

my role at this point is to generate interest so that it would be viable for them...

maybe i should start passing out shows

i'll give you a few when i do the spades cd swap with you!

:)

and anybody else who wants some!

Of course for actual real info it would be best to talk to an entertainment lawyer, an immigration lawyer, and a customs broker. anecdotal info from a band is fine and dandy, but the lawyers can probably help more in practice.

ad

Haha, and the Slip can probably shed light on what NOT to do when crossing the border... I forget when it was but there was a show at the Swimming where they had to borrow gear because theirs couldn't come across the big imaginary line.

AD

Actually, I think it was that they had assumed the venue was taking care of the paperwork, but the venue hadn't. They got denied entry, and backed off (went home?), ditched their gear, and came back across as individual "tourists"; they did the show using gear borrowed from the soundman's (punk!) band.

Aloha,

Brad

woohoo!

mike expressed interest in evolve festival so i sent him info on that, although i hope it is still current from last year, since this year's site is not up yet. i have never even been to that festival, but i will go if they go. of course i've left it all a bit late....hehehe.

what other festivals should i suggest to them? i don't know the 'cool' festivals up here ;) except i see brad m mentioned one...which i will pass along also.

they will come up here, rest assured

;)

good call brad. lots of good stuff there.

thanks for the suggestions everyone...more on this when i return (i hope)

off to montreal...

have yourselves a great canada day party everybody...sounds like it's gonna be a blast!!!

maybe catch up with some of ya at mmw.

later...

:)