Jambands.ca

R.I.P. The Senator Jazz Club in Toronto

Jaimoe

I've always called the place The Top Of The Senator. Anyway, since SARS and the failure to book a long-running musical at the nearby Pantages Theatre seemed to put the nail in the Senator's coffin.

Undoubtedly one of the best and most reknowned jazz clubs in Toronto is closing for renovation and when it reopens, it likely renamed The Savoy Grill. The change will end the restaurant/club's run as a classy jazz venue, one that booked great acts nightly for 15 years. Dewey Redman, Sonny Rollins, Dave Brubeck, Joe Pass and Stanley Turrentine ( to name a few ) have all played there in the past and it was also a great venue for Canadian artists to showcase their talents.

It looks like The Rex ( a major step down from The Senator ) and The Montreal Bistro are two of the only pure jazz clubs left in the city.

Sad.

Edited by Guest

Well ain't that shitty. Even worse, considering the cheesy dance club scene thriving (ungh! ungh! ungh! ungh! ungh!) not a couple of blocks away. Too sad. Civilisation thrives on its own decay.

Rex, Bistro, and Orbit, I guess, still holding out. Is there much going on at the latter, besides the Sisters, jazzish-wise?

The owner of The Senator is a great jazz lover. She said in today's Star that to book a top act like Rollins or Turrentine, you'd have to pay an upfront fee of $10-$20,000. Now, she said the place would be packed for big acts, but since the Panatages can't maintain a decent musical ( see The Producers ), the before and after crowds were never the same as they were when The Phantom played there.

Edited by Guest

I had one of the greatest musical dates of my life at that place. Ms.Hux + Me + The Rob McConnell TENTET!

The hostess led us to a table right in front of the stage. We felt like GANGSTERS!

Imagine horns and acoustic bass hitting your ears without any microphones. That was the SOUND!

Had a lengthy conversation with one of the owners of The Orbit Room about The Senator closing...and there are going to be a couple of other great clubs unfortunately closing their doors in the near future. I don't want to go into the details, but safe to say that Toronto musicians (and this may step on the toes of "how does a Canadian jamband make it thread) are victems of the lack of support from the community...who will no doubt be bitching when they realize what they've lost...as always...SUPPORT LOCAL TALENT IN ANY WAY YOU CAN...the people on this board know this...thank jebus for my Monday nights!!!

Rex, Bistro, and Orbit, I guess, still holding out. Is there much going on at the latter, besides the Sisters, jazzish-wise?

Oh man. That place always has great jazz music. I'm pretty confident that you can walk in there any night of the week and be guaranteed to see an excellent act. For starters, please do yourself a favour and go in there on a Wednesday night to see LMT Connection. They are hands-down one of the best funk/jazz bands that you will ever have the opportunity to see. Do not miss the first set though: I find the first set is the dancing, partying kind of funk and the second set is so sexy that you'll be scanning the room for someone to throw down on a table and make love to.

Do not miss the first set though: I find the first set is the dancing, partying kind of funk and the second set is so sexy that you'll be scanning the room for someone to throw down on a table and make love to.

Wi!!y, thanks for a big smile and laugh on a sunny Sunday afternoon! Time to head back outside for some more of this glorious summer weather!

Peace, Mark

Do not miss the first set though: I find the first set is the dancing, partying kind of funk and the second set is so sexy that you'll be scanning the room for someone to throw down on a table and make love to.

hey Dave, what're we doing Wednesday night......as in, "pick me! pick me!"

we have a whole week of nights out planned, given that we're kid-free again for a week. We've also been meaning to catch the Orbit's Tuesday Reggae night. Maybe we should just find a comfy 'table' and 'sleep' there all week :)