Jambands.ca

Wal-Mart Tweaks Willie's Reggae

TimmyB

They live by their own rules. I'm sure if they didn't change it, there would be an uproar. At least some people that exclusively shop at Walmart for EVERYTHING will end up buying it and everyone will make lotsa cash, and Willy will get his pennies.

Changing the cover is just silly. These people need to grow up.

I agree. Too bad the store caters so well to protracted feelings of childhood grandiosity.

As Cockburn says, the trouble with normal is it only gets worse. On the one hand, I think it might draw attention to the fact that they did censor, hamfistedly, a bit of culture that louder and louder voices are saying deserves adequate recognition (and for too many communities, this is the only stop around to pick up culture); on the other, well, if my stereotype of the standard Wal-Mart - er, I mean Mal-Wart - shopper holds true, then it could just be taken as normal that censorship be necessary to Make America Strong and a good thing too, and make sure you club a hippie on your way home from the honky-tonk.

Some sociologist should make a point of polling exiting shoppers to see how many of them really like things like the Patriot Act, and other devices designed, in part, to control the flow of information and to intimidate people with alternate ways of thinking. I would love it if my stereotype were shattered - but despair that it wouldn't be.

But I guess that book probably wouldn't make it to the shelves of the Mal-Warts where it might count for something....

So much for "artistic expression". [color:purple]I can't imagine what a reggae album would have in common with the sweet leaf. :P

However, I don't see Willie getting too worked about this. Yeah, Wal-Mart blows (no surprises there), but look at all the free press this album's going to get. Bah!